Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
This is why I don't understand you ballcoach...

You are super conservative politically and you absolutely hate the NCAA but in this case you love regulation and hate capitalism...

Makes zero sense.
thepostman wrote:This is why I don't understand you ballcoach...

You are super conservative politically and you absolutely hate the NCAA but in this case you love regulation and hate capitalism...

Makes zero sense.
Sure it does. The NCAA like the constitution exists to provide equality of opportunity.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
So it is cool for schools to use these players to literally make millions and yet the players who provide these schools (high level P5 schools) should not be given the right to capitalize off of that?

That is such backwards thinking and not at all American.
Class of 20Something wrote:
thepostman wrote:This is why I don't understand you ballcoach...

Makes zero sense.
Sure it does. The NCAA like the constitution exists to provide equality of opportunity.
The NCAA exists because the colleges didn’t want to pay players decades ago.
By CCWMichael
thepostman wrote:So it is cool for schools to use these players to literally make millions and yet the players who provide these schools (high level P5 schools) should not be given the right to capitalize off of that?

That is such backwards thinking and not at all American.
So they are hired to play football and paid in scholarships and such. Sounds like capitalism.
Do like Boz -- start selling things afterwards -- if you are good there will be a market afterwards-- just don't do roids and wear a bad shirt to a bowl game.
Boz and his want to capitalize hurt those OU teams in the team sense, cocaine, gambling, and rape aside.
I work for an employer who gives me what they want. Capitalism I am unable to use my wares elsewhere for a multitude of reasons. They ceratinly are capitalizing --literally making millions--off of me.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Are you generating millions of dollars of revenue for your company? If you did would you expect to be compensated more for doing so?

I am not even saying that the schools should be required to pay student athletes but at the very least they should be able to make money on their own name.
Conservatives like to belittle college kids as snowflakes and tell them they need to toughen up.

But if a player is making more than another player, it’s not fair anymore and the players’ ego needs to be worried about in the name of “team dynamics.”
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Finebaum and Aubs are already talking Freeze as head coach on the plains after next year. Does anyone believe he is at LU this time next year? I would hope he stays 3 years but I haven't really heard any excitement from him for our school or team. From all I have heard it is all about Coach Freeze and his "reboot". I love the redemption story but would it kill you to be excited about what LU might have to offer and where we could be in a few years given our uniqueness and resources if you really leaned in? You could be a legend. The guy who helped awake a sleeping giant! Come on, at least try?!
By cruzan_flame13
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Finebaum and Aubs are already talking Freeze as head coach on the plains after next year. Does anyone believe he is at LU this time next year? I would hope he stays 3 years but I haven't really heard any excitement from him for our school or team. From all I have heard it is all about Coach Freeze and his "reboot". I love the redemption story but would it kill you to be excited about what LU might have to offer and where we could be in a few years given our uniqueness and resources if you really leaned in? You could be a legend. The guy who helped awake a sleeping giant! Come on, at least try?!
He just became head coach last Friday. Can we not worry and give it some time? The media will say anything just to get viewers/listeners. Freeze hasn’t really settled in yet so why would he be extremely excited. Let him settle in first and see what he thinks and not reporters/broadcasters opinions. Right now, lets be excited that we have a head coach who can establish something for the school.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Finebaum is overrated. He just gets paid to talk college football, mainly SEC football. I listen to some of his show most every day. Last week, Thursday I believe, he was in New York talking about Hugh Freeze. He mentioned Tennessee, Auburn, FSU and maybe Alabama as possible landing spots. He never mentioned Liberty. I wanted to call his show and tell him Freeze was coming to Liberty, but didn't want to be put on hold for 2 hours.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:
4) Everyone outside of “MCFA” should have to submit to much stricter regulation from a beefed up NCAA with far more teeth. Only students that would get into these schools without their athletic talent should be eligible. To accomplish this, coaches could still recruit athletes and offer scholarships, but the student would have to be accepted to the school the same way anyone else is. However, to prevent cheating, the admissions process would have to be blind. If you are admitted based on your non-athletic merit, you get your offered scholly.

This allows players on a track to professional football and basketball to make money while they prepare for their trade. It also allows the vast majority of institutions to regain control and academic integrity in their athletics.
I bet you’d make one of your old professors so proud. Probably swelling up with pride. Possibly a tear in their eye....
By LibertyD
gerb wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm two episodes into the Foul Play series and it's incredibly fascinating.
I really have compassion for these kids that come from poverty and get exploited by the current system.
Are you asserting that they all come from poverty? Bad assertion! The truth is that they all are being exploited regardless of their background! What's poverty has to do with it? I don't get it...
By gerb
or a bookie to bribe kids to drop a few balls to mess with the spread, entrapping them for their career. The kids from 20k private high schools arn't as tempted as kids with nothing. why is this so hard to understand?

[youtube]aC_dI40X13o[/youtube]
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, just stop. You haven’t provided a shred of argument. All you spout is ignorant, hyperbolic doomsday scenarios.

When permitted to trade on their own name/likeness, the university pays what? $0. THAT is what we’re talking about. THAT wouldn’t put a single university out of intercollegiate athletics.

But you know what? If more was done for student-athletes, if the millions made off of them was funneled more to them, the first place universities could cut would be coaches’ salaries. Then admin salaries. Your beloved Saban made $8M last year. His starting QB? Not allowed to sign an autograph for $10. How can you not see a problem with that?!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Players go to college to get an education, not get paid to play sports. Paying college athletes is wrong. and would destroy all sports at college level. With what some are advocating, only ones that would get paid are skill position players. What about the Setter on volleyball team or the #4 player on tennis team. Or rightfielder on softball and baseball team.
ballcoach15 wrote:Players go to college to get an education, not get paid to play sports. Paying college athletes is wrong. and would destroy all sports at college level. With what some are advocating, only ones that would get paid are skill position players. What about the Setter on volleyball team or the #4 player on tennis team. Or rightfielder on softball and baseball team.
Welcome to the real world.

I think there should be a cap on it. It is not provided to everyone. It has to be purely based on their likeness. Someone with a YouTube side hustle that gets a ton of views should get paid for it.

The thing I look at is NFL examples like Dak Prescott. 4th round rookie contract. In NFL terms, he gets paid dirt. He makes his money in sponsorship deals with Campbell's and Tostitos to make up the difference. How much is Bergland or Carter Bank and Trust willing to have a student spokesman for?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Paying college athletes is wrong.
Says you. But why?! How can we have any sort of meaningful debate if you won’t explain your point of view??

The closest you’ve come to an explanation is to say it wouldn’t be fair to the volleyball or softball player. Only the football skill position players would “get paid”. It’s an equal OPPORTUNITY though. Anyone is allowed to go trade on their likeness.

How do you respond when one player gets more playing time over another?
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]