Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CCWMichael
olldflame wrote: October 21st, 2020, 2:58 pm My Gut feeling is that HF will be at Liberty as long as he is seeing progress and does not believe we have hit our ceiling. If and when that time comes, it will depend on how old he is, his health, and how badly he wants a shot at a national championship before he hangs it up.
Assuming at best we get till 2024 to cover the 5 years. Yes, he can go to a bigger school. HF likes a challenge? Why go to a bigger school that will automatically give recruiting power? Where is the challenge in that? Continuing to recruit at a new indy and succeed is a challenge all unto itself. My silly dream is this is how it is playing out in his heart.
What is our ceiling? Maintaining a level of success is harder than reaching a level. I wildly dream HF knows this and he and his family love it here enough to allow him to challenge himself to build a dynasty NO ONE expected. That is building something.
By LoneStar
LUDad wrote: October 19th, 2020, 4:29 pm
LoneStar wrote: October 18th, 2020, 9:53 pm So far, he has turned down offers, but he doesn't seem to give a firm "I'm not looking for another job" answer when he does so.
He shouldn't give away leverage by declaring that. That leverage may not necessarily be for himself, it could be used to take care of his staff.
Indubitably. My point was not that HF couldn't, shouldn't, or wouldn't do look for another job or entertain offers. My point was that if HF was 100% staying and nothing could change his mind, he would be more firm in stating he isn't going to consider any other jobs.
By Class of 20Something
LoneStar wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 8:37 pm
LUDad wrote: October 19th, 2020, 4:29 pm
LoneStar wrote: October 18th, 2020, 9:53 pm So far, he has turned down offers, but he doesn't seem to give a firm "I'm not looking for another job" answer when he does so.
He shouldn't give away leverage by declaring that. That leverage may not necessarily be for himself, it could be used to take care of his staff.
Indubitably. My point was not that HF couldn't, shouldn't, or wouldn't do look for another job or entertain offers. My point was that if HF was 100% staying and nothing could change his mind, he would be more firm in stating he isn't going to consider any other jobs.
Not if he wants leverage negotiating a contract.
CCWMichael liked this
By FLAMEfromBAMA
Registration Days Posts
Last week I sent my pastor an email of encouragement letting him know how appreciated he is. Did he need that email to know the church feels that way about him? No. Was I embarrassed to send it? No. Does getting it help him feel even the slightest bit more encouraged and well loved/appreciated? Most likely. Same applies to this situation imo. Also, asking him not to leave does not mean he has to be thinking about leaving, just means I don’t want him to. Knowing you’re well loved and appreciated by a fan base is a small part of the equation to whether or not a coach enjoys where he’s at...
ballcoach15 liked this
By Jonathan Carone
I would suggest that “Please don’t leave” is a totally different message than “I appreciate what you’ve done for our school and I’m proud to support our team.”

I’d be all for people sending the second message. Letting a coach know he/she is appreciated is great!
Liberty22, Kricket, rtb72 and 1 others liked this
By rtb72
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 25th, 2020, 4:22 pm I would suggest that “Please don’t leave” is a totally different message than “I appreciate what you’ve done for our school and I’m proud to support our team.”

I’d be all for people sending the second message. Letting a coach know he/she is appreciated is great!
This! Do we love him simply because of our record? I really think HCHF is special because he can/does relate to these kids at a very special level. Turner Gill had many special gifts, as did past HC, but I really think HCHF is relating, and by extension motivating, these kids in a way that we have not seen at LU in a long time....if ever in regard to our FB program. I really think he's been molded for this moment. That's why we should appreciate, applaud, and love him. The success of our FB team is just icing. Mission first!
flameshaw, LUOrange, jinxy and 1 others liked this
By rtb72
Wow....the SC thread was completely disgusting. Some of those folks need Jesus. Such rhetoric makes me even more resolved to defend and embrace OUR coach.
TH Spangler liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:56 am Wow....the SC thread was completely disgusting. Some of those folks need Jesus. Such rhetoric makes me even more resolved to defend and embrace OUR coach.
If I were him I would be loving life at Librrty :lol:
Liberty22, rtb72 liked this
By jweaks
As a SC football fan (LU#1) I apologize for the idiotic fans. It's hard to understand how good and how frustrated SC football fans are. They have it all down there, and Spurrier showed that it's possible for them to be a contender and win 8-10 games a year, and yet they can't find the Coach and staff to do it. Muschamp is another in a long line of frustrations.

No way Freeze is going there, but I know the SC fans would change their minds in a heartbeat if they thought Freeze could win there.
Last edited by jweaks on October 28th, 2020, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Risewithus liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
If I’m Freeze and Auburn comes calling with $4-5 million it’s gonna be hard to say No
But I really hope he’s enjoying his journey at LU. I know I am
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Not that I know for sure, but word on the street down on the Plains at Auburn is that the University will not okay a buyout due to COVID. Plus, I think you will see Gus Malzahn take over all the play-calling duties next year.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 26th, 2020, 10:41 pm Not that I know for sure, but word on the street down on the Plains at Auburn is that the University will not okay a buyout due to COVID. Plus, I think you will see Gus Malzahn take over all the play-calling duties next year.
I am hearing similar things. The buyout this year is huge plus whatever buyout you would need to pay to get the next coach out of their contract. The school is losing $millions this year, not that the buyout would come from university funds but the optics would be terrible. Also, there are several other candidates for top SEC jobs without the perceived baggage starting with Sark up in Tuscaloosa. I really don't think there will be much coaching movement this year.

Also, this talk of Freeze to USM is a joke. That is a huge dumpster fire and we are going to be in or around the Top 25 conversation for at least another year. That move would make zero sense.
By gerb
Now that our first win over the ACC and Big12 is out of the way, probably next biggest "first" opportunity other than our record this year is beating SEC Ole Miss next year. LU winning there is about as unlikely as Ole Miss beating Alabama 2 years in a row... which is why I'll be making the trip to Oxford just in case Hugh pulls off the impossible again.

Fun fact: Lane Kiffen was the OC @ Alabama when Freeze beat them and of course is now the HC @ Ole Miss.
Liberty22, LUOrange liked this
New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]