Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Posts
#566209
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t want to steal clicks from Damien so I won’t post it here, but the quotes from Ian in his latest article article were really informative.
I want to read the media articles to see how many times I was "on point" with this hire.
User avatar
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
#566212
Rocco was a master communicator, and I never thought I'd hear a better press conference until I heard Hugh Freeze today. And what most of you didn't see were the facial expressions of Mrs. Freeze and Hugh's dad were also there and sitting on the front row. They were so genuinely proud of him, and you could see it in their faces. That's a support group that we would all like to have; plus, his 3 daughters who love him, too.
By PAFlame
Posts
#566214
I mean, I really don’t want to go down the “fake news” route of verbal effluvia considering the national media is reporting on us hiring an obviously very controversial figure. This isn’t Art Briles obviously, and if we go that route we deserve every piece of mockery sent our way. In lieu of that, the conference was excellent sans the comment about his private parts which was absolutely unacceptable. I pray that he has changed for the better though.
User avatar
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
#566215
Cider Jim wrote:Rocco was a master communicator, and I never thought I'd hear a better press conference until I heard Hugh Freeze today. And what most of you didn't see were the facial expressions of Mrs. Freeze and Hugh's dad were also there and sitting on the front row. They were so genuinely proud of him, and you could see it in their faces. That's a support group that we would all like to have; plus, his 3 daughters who love him, too.
During the press conference they kept cutting to the family is their faces really told a story to me. One the national media will never tell.

I can't wait for football season now.

I don't remember the last time I said that in December.
User avatar
By Liberty22
Posts
#566216
PAFlame wrote:I mean, I really don’t want to go down the “fake news” route of verbal effluvia considering the national media is reporting on us hiring an obviously very controversial figure. This isn’t Art Briles obviously, and if we go that route we deserve every piece of mockery sent our way. In lieu of that, the conference was excellent sans the comment about his private parts which was absolutely unacceptable. I pray that he has changed for the better though.
He never said anything about his private parts. That's the national media makin fun of him saying "Jesus is the only one who can handle my junk". Albeit I see the humor in that but his junk he was referring to was his sins.
User avatar
By NeoFlame
Posts
#566217
Jonathan Carone wrote:Freeze on Finebaum was really good.

What did you make of his SEC comments about wanting to return one day? I haven't seen it yet, so I'll reserve judgment, I only saw the snippets in print.
#566220
NeoFlame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Freeze on Finebaum was really good.

What did you make of his SEC comments about wanting to return one day? I haven't seen it yet, so I'll reserve judgment, I only saw the snippets in print.
It was an offhand comment in the context of talking about how he respects people in the SEC. I have no doubt he likely wants to get back there one day to prove he belongs at that level. That may be after one year or it may be by beating Ole Miss in 2021.

In my mind, the important thing is we got him on campus and have him for a year. We get the chance to show him why Turner Gill loved it here, why Ritchie loves it here, and how great his life can be in an environment where his Christianity is celebrated and not mocked.

But if he leaves after a year or two then that means we’ve had a couple years of high level success and our program is elevated for the next coach to come in and be successful as well.

For the first time in four years I feel like we have positive on-field momentum. I forgot what it’s like to be excited about Liberty football. I’ll ride the wave as long as Freeze decides to stay here.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
#566221
No one thinks Liberty will be the last coaching stop for him. If he makes it back to the SEC that means he did a great job here and that is all we can ask for. This hire moves us that much closer to a relevant football program. We have probably gotten more exposure in one day than our program has ever gotten. Even after the Baylor win. Hugh is a proven winner in the SEC West. Let that sink in...
I compare this hire to Lane Kiffin only with a better head coaching record. The guy may have some baggage but everyone knows he is a phenomenal coaching talent and everyone deep down wanted him to coach their team. We now have the top coaching talent in the state of VA and maybe in the region save Dabo at Clemson. Unbelievable home run hire!
#566230
Ewglenn wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t want to steal clicks from Damien so I won’t post it here, but the quotes from Ian in his latest article article were really informative.
Link?
Ask and you shall receive:
https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libe ... ff059.html
By tyndal23
Posts
#566236
Jonathan Carone wrote:
NeoFlame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Freeze on Finebaum was really good.

What did you make of his SEC comments about wanting to return one day? I haven't seen it yet, so I'll reserve judgment, I only saw the snippets in print.
It was an offhand comment in the context of talking about how he respects people in the SEC. I have no doubt he likely wants to get back there one day to prove he belongs at that level. That may be after one year or it may be by beating Ole Miss in 2021.

In my mind, the important thing is we got him on campus and have him for a year. We get the chance to show him why Turner Gill loved it here, why Ritchie loves it here, and how great his life can be in an environment where his Christianity is celebrated and not mocked.

But if he leaves after a year or two then that means we’ve had a couple years of high level success and our program is elevated for the next coach to come in and be successful as well.

For the first time in four years I feel like we have positive on-field momentum. I forgot what it’s like to be excited about Liberty football. I’ll ride the wave as long as Freeze decides to stay here.
Carone - I agree this is a great hire short term and don’t believe or expect him to stay long - but for those always ridiculing me on P5 Schedule ASAP - this is a major issue moving forward - bringing in great coaches only to be poached a year or 2 later - same problem all G5 schools have - because there is another tier of football that best want to play or coach in. Can we get Ian and Jerry to announce and confirm now who we want to be ( they just repeated it in press conference ) but HOW and when we are going to be USC /BAMA ( and that takes scheduling ) HF is a great starting piece, his recruits will be next piece - but then what if he leaves after year 1 or 2? Do we become FAU post Kiffin because we are stuck as a G5 equivalent. OR are we rolling with momentum to a 2026 schedule of 7 P5 games that we are pitching and paying Freeze level coaches to stay for the long haul and the top recruits that P5 ball allows them to get... Tyndal The Baptist preaching one message weekly for all to hear...:)
By tyndal23
Posts
#566237
Damien Sordelett wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t want to steal clicks from Damien so I won’t post it here, but the quotes from Ian in his latest article article were really informative.
Link?
Ask and you shall receive:
https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libe ... ff059.html
Great Job today Damien !!! Won’t be long until Hokies are your second favorite VA team...
User avatar
By LUOrange
Posts
#566241
Chris Lang wrote:It's interesting to read both perspectives on this hire ... the genuine excitement of the LU fanbase versus the predictable mocking from the national media.
Many times Liberty creates their own unnecessary attention, but let's face the facts. The national media find any reason to mock and criticize us. Would they have mocked Alabama, Auburn, FSU, or Tennessee in the same manner had Freeze took one of those jobs? Most likely not.
User avatar
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
#566242
And the ladies at Gold and Silver are celebrating. :lol:

Seriously, toss the morality debate aside, one thing is fact, he's got major NCAA bagage. Another fact, those involved in any way with higher education despise anything to do with Christianity. Add in who your AD is and if you think the NCAA hasn't got LU in their crosshairs, you're naive.

Awesome hire if Freeze doesn't turn into the Jimmy Swaggart of college football, and I know LU doesn't have the bag men hanging around that Old tick does.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#566243
g-webb1994 wrote:And the ladies at Gold and Silver are celebrating. :lol:

Seriously, toss the morality debate aside, one thing is fact, he's got major NCAA bagage. Another fact, those involved in any way with higher education despise anything to do with Christianity. Add in who your AD is and if you think the NCAA hasn't got LU in their crosshairs, you're naive.

Awesome hire if Freeze doesn't turn into the Jimmy Swaggart of college football, and I know LU doesn't have the bag men hanging around that Old tick does.
I was unaware GW had Green as one of their colors
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
#566245
g-webb1994 wrote: one thing is fact, he's got major NCAA bagage.
He really doesn’t. Have you read the full COI report?

1. An assistant coach whom Freeze was strongly encouraged to retain upon his hiring at Ole Miss was the primary culprit of almost all of the direct violations.

2. That coach received a 10-year Show Cause, while HF received a 1-year Show Cause and 2-game suspension (if hired in 2018).

3. The author(s) of the report go out of their way to specifically reference multiple times HF’s full cooperation with the COI’s investigation.

Liberty runs a clean program. NCAA does NOT have LU in any crosshairs. You are the delusional (add, jealous) one.

I agreed with several other things you said.
By rtb72
Posts
#566246
Here's where I'm at: I think his coming to LU is as much about God working in his life as it is about anything. Like he said, every door just opened when it came to this particular position. It was MEANT to be. I believe he is repentant and embracing the grace he has been given, and this is what was planned for his life to strengthen his walk. I know there will be haters and LU (which is one thing I like about our University) does not look to appease anyone or capitulate to public opinion. I'm okay with being "second chance U" because we all need second chances. After watching him talk and how he conducted himself publicly (which is hard to do); it just strikes me LU is as much a good thing for him as he is for us. I'm excited about Coach Freeze and look forward to not only watching him as a coach, but seeing him grow as a Christian who has been given what WE ALL need when devastated by sin.......forgiveness, support, and relationship. As such, I'll defend him and LU's decision fervently. Welcome to our family, Coach Freeze.
By ballcoach15
Posts
#566250
Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee and FSU had been after Coach for a week, maybe 2. LU closed deal in 3 days, from ground zero.

Remember how good I said getting a Power 5 athletic director was for LU.
#566252
ballcoach15 wrote:Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee and FSU had been after Coach for a week, maybe 2. LU closed deal in 3 days, from ground zero.

Remember how good I said getting a Power 5 athletic director was for LU.
If you read between the lines in his speech, I believe he was texted Sunday evening.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 42
ASUN Tournament

LU loads bases in first with no outs. Loaded them […]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Just go ahead and wear an official surgical mask o[…]

Maricopa County audit

Things are heating up in AZ and it's not even summ[…]

I don't know all that much about the place, but […]