Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 4th, 2019, 10:49 am FSU just paid Taggart $20 million to go away. That may indicate they need someone on the cheap. Otherwise there might be Mi$$ions of reasons for Freeze to go to FSU. Because everything else there seems a good fit for him. They have a pretty strong FCA presence Resources Tradition and Support to win a P5 conference and rebuild something
I’d be more worried if this happened next year though
The $20 million was raised through private donors.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: November 4th, 2019, 11:00 am
Purple Haize wrote: November 4th, 2019, 10:49 am FSU just paid Taggart $20 million to go away. That may indicate they need someone on the cheap. Otherwise there might be Mi$$ions of reasons for Freeze to go to FSU. Because everything else there seems a good fit for him. They have a pretty strong FCA presence Resources Tradition and Support to win a P5 conference and rebuild something
I’d be more worried if this happened next year though
The $20 million was raised through private donors.
Donors who also pay part of the football coaches salary
By Jonathan Carone
When Ritchie left, I remember talking to Coach Rocco about it one day. He wasn’t judgmental, but he said where Ritchie made his mistake was he talked about wanting to be at Liberty for a long time or putting a time frame on his love for the school. He pointed out that he (Rocco) never said that because he couldn’t predict the future or what would happen.

I found that story incredibly wise with how coaches talk about the school they’re at.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:When Ritchie left, I remember talking to Coach Rocco about it one day. He wasn’t judgmental, but he said where Ritchie made his mistake was he talked about wanting to be at Liberty for a long time or putting a time frame on his love for the school. He pointed out that he (Rocco) never said that because he couldn’t predict the future or what would happen.

I found that story incredibly wise with how coaches talk about the school they’re at.
I'm not sure if that's wise. That just sounds like someone afraid of criticism should the situation ever change.
By CCWMichael
1slimmaroon wrote: November 4th, 2019, 10:39 am I believe it would be somewhat irresponsible if any head coach didn't listen to at least a phone call. FSU wouldn't be doing its due diligence if it didn't contact prime HC candidates. HC Freeze is a good candidate, but I believe there are a few other big name hires that they would go after, namely Stoops, Meyer, Fleck (Minn), OC Scott (Clemson), Franklin. There are a few others, but I don't see Freeze leaving, especially because of the love from LU he has received.
Franklin and Fleck are going to stay put, period
By 1slimmaroon
I don't doubt that. I look for Minnesota to open up the checkbook for Fleck. Can they match FSU money? How many 9 win seasons have they had? Only 2 since 1905?
Stoops brothers at FSU? Meyer to USC, FSU? Venable's buyout is sky high I think (Dabo's is 50 mil so I would imagine DC buyout would be high). But again, if donors can raise 20 mil to buy someone out, they can easily find another 20 mil to bring someone in.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
@Jonathan Carone , great point. I remember that is the reason why I was so angry when RM left the first time. Had he never said that I wouldn't of had much issue with him leaving. Obviously I would've been disappointed but that would've been the extent of it.
By willflop
The mention of LU having never been to a bowl game stood out to me, as it seems like an odd thing to bring up as a response to this question. I think it could be a little bit of tell, like he views it as something he can hang his hat on to validate a really short tenure at LU. He stepped in, helped us reach a pivotal goal, and now he moves on and can feel good about it, since that was his intention.
By LU 57
willflop wrote: November 4th, 2019, 1:20 pm The mention of LU having never been to a bowl game stood out to me, as it seems like an odd thing to bring up as a response to this question. I think it could be a little bit of tell, like he views it as something he can hang his hat on to validate a really short tenure at LU. He stepped in, helped us reach a pivotal goal, and now he moves on and can feel good about it, since that was his intention.
Seems plausible. I hope you are wrong :D
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: Seems plausible. I hope you are wrong :D
All the more reason for us to make it to a Bowl game this year. He has been saying this since he took the job. I want to hear his next goal after we reach a Bowl game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote: November 4th, 2019, 2:05 pm
LU 57 wrote: Seems plausible. I hope you are wrong :D
All the more reason for us to make it to a Bowl game this year. He has been saying this since he took the job. I want to hear his next goal after we reach a Bowl game.
Tallahassee?
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I know all of this is speculation at this moment though warranted due to HCHF's past, success and profile. Yet, I don't know if a P5 like FSU will take a jump at him yet. If Vanderbilt fires Mason then that could be a possibly, but don't count out the fact of how much LU has loved on him, his needs and his family here over the last 3 to 4 months to keep him here for the next 5 years. He did say, "we can build something special here."
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: November 4th, 2019, 3:58 pm I know all of this is speculation at this moment though warranted due to HCHF's past, success and profile. Yet, I don't know if a P5 like FSU will take a jump at him yet. If Vanderbilt fires Mason then that could be a possibly, but don't count out the fact of how much LU has loved on him, his needs and his family here over the last 3 to 4 months to keep him here for the next 5 years. He did say, "we can build something special here."
For $4 million a year he can build something special in Tallahassee too
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: November 4th, 2019, 3:58 pm I know all of this is speculation at this moment though warranted due to HCHF's past, success and profile. Yet, I don't know if a P5 like FSU will take a jump at him yet. If Vanderbilt fires Mason then that could be a possibly, but don't count out the fact of how much LU has loved on him, his needs and his family here over the last 3 to 4 months to keep him here for the next 5 years. He did say, "we can build something special here."
I believe he will stay for another couple of years at least. However, there are some things bubbling up, that could make a yuuuuuuge difference if things take a wrong direction. JMHO.
Last edited by flameshaw on November 4th, 2019, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Vanderbilt..........No.

If Freeze stays at LU just 3 or 4 years, LU will be higher than Vanderbilt, even though Vandy is SEC.
By sstaedtler
willflop wrote: November 4th, 2019, 1:20 pm The mention of LU having never been to a bowl game stood out to me, as it seems like an odd thing to bring up as a response to this question. I think it could be a little bit of tell, like he views it as something he can hang his hat on to validate a really short tenure at LU. He stepped in, helped us reach a pivotal goal, and now he moves on and can feel good about it, since that was his intention.

This worried me also. A bowl game at 6-6 with our schedule isn't exactly turning around the program. I was hoping Freeze would at least stay a few years. Don't his daughters attend Liberty? This has sapped some of my excitement for the upcoming games, this interview this morning.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If my math is correct, if we go to a bowl game we will go as a 7-5 team. In reality, 7-5 looks much better than 6-6, even if 2 wins were over FBS teams.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Per the interview, he didn't say that he wouldn't take the FSU job if offered, or turn down anything higher profile for that matter. Essentially a "non-denial denial," with a much less obvious "denial."
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I would rather him say what he did this morning and then this afternoon during his press conference then say what Nick Saban said as the Miami Dolphins which was, "I am the coach of the Miami Dolphins and I will not be the head coach of Alabama." I appreciate transparency even if it puts thoughts in our minds as fans that he may leave at some point. We all predicted that the day he was hired. Lets enjoy the ride but I highly DOUBT he leaves after this year or in the next 3 years.
By Class of 20Something
I really think things like Angel Armies are legacy projects. It's more than football. You don't start this kind of integration with a nonprofit to leave it. I also think Freeze loves being able to be more open about his faith. There isn't anything subversive about him treading the PC line at a public school. He is allowed and encouraged to advocate for Jesus here. There's a lot of impact there outside of the gridiron.
Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]