Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ewglenn
There are rumors going around Nashville that Vandy might move on from Derrick Mason. This is the one P5 job that actually worries me. There have been some fans on twitter talking about HCHF as a replacement.
By Jonathan Carone
Vandy has been the biggest rumor since he was hired.

We’re entering the portion of the year where he’s gonna be tied to everything, especially if we keep winning.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Before the season I really feared he would be a 1 or 2 year type of coach but with everything that has transpired wirh his back saga I'd be shocked if that ended up happening.

4 or 5 years from now? That's another story altogether.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Nothing would surprise me. Personally, i dont see vandy. I think of would take more of a football first school to A.) pry him away B.)be brave enough to turn over the sec black ball that is blocking him.

Arkansas is the one that scares me. Enough resources to be win, not controlled by academics aka liberals as much, and theyve been bad enough to get desperate to look over bad pr.

However, im not convinced that sankey doesnt have him banned from the SEC. plenty of rumors.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Sankey didn’t want Freeze at Bama, where Saban wanted him as his OC. Plus, he would’ve been Tennessee if it wasn’t for a few people there.

I’m with you on Arkansas and all the reasons you gave. Hugh will have to get through the Vandy boosters, which I don’t see happening.

We have a strong possibility to win 8-9 games and go bowling. Freeze wants back in the SEC and I think with success, he’s going to get an offer or at least a p5 offer. I want him to stay but I think he bolts at the first p5 offer.
By Old Red
I hear what y’all are saying about other schools , & at times I have same worries.
However, I think his family buy-in is a bigger deal now than at any other point of his career. If Jill & the girls are truly happy here at LU, it could help us keep him here longer. Fingers crossed.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: October 13th, 2019, 2:08 pm Sankey didn’t want Freeze at Bama, where Saban wanted him as his OC. Plus, he would’ve been Tennessee if it wasn’t for a few people there.

I’m with you on Arkansas and all the reasons you gave. Hugh will have to get through the Vandy boosters, which I don’t see happening.

We have a strong possibility to win 8-9 games and go bowling. Freeze wants back in the SEC and I think with success, he’s going to get an offer or at least a p5 offer. I want him to stay but I think he bolts at the first p5 offer.
A lot has changed since right after he came to Liberty and said some things in interviews that were "troubling". More recent statements seem to indicate he is way more excited about the potential where he is. I think it's also pretty clear his family loves it here.

Not saying he is likely to be a "Liberty Lifer", but in light of the events of the last couple of months with his health, I would be shocked if he took another offer after this season. Even taking the most cynical view possible, doesn't he have enough of an image problem already without adding to it by cutting out at the first opportunity on the school whose President moved heaven and earth to help him through a life-threatening situation? I just don't see it. IMHO, it will be at least 3 years before he considers leaving, and an awful lot can happen between now and then.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I just dont see Vandy for 2 main reasons:

1. The powerful influence of a wife. You guys know what I am talking about :D .

2. Vandy is a super liberal school and there would be an enormous amount of backlash by hiring Freeze that the Vandy administration does not want.

3. I wouldn't be surprised if Ian tries to get Freeze to sign an extension after this year IF things keep going the way they are.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 13th, 2019, 4:16 pm I just dont see Vandy for 2 main reasons:

1. The powerful influence of a wife. You guys know what I am talking about :D .

2. Vandy is a super liberal school and there would be an enormous amount of backlash by hiring Freeze that the Vandy administration does not want.

3. I wouldn't be surprised if Ian tries to get Freeze to sign an extension after this year IF things keep going the way they are.
You're worse at math than Cider.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
As far as Vandy being liberal is concerned, maybe so, but that didn't stop them from hiring Bryce Drew and allowing him to stuff his staff with Liberty basketball alumni. Of course that didn't work out very well, so who knows.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I don't see him going to Vandy. Is it in the SEC? Yes. Does he want to go back to the SEC? Yes. Can he (or anyone) succeed at Vandy? No.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: October 13th, 2019, 4:08 pm
ballah09 wrote: October 13th, 2019, 2:08 pm Sankey didn’t want Freeze at Bama, where Saban wanted him as his OC. Plus, he would’ve been Tennessee if it wasn’t for a few people there.

A lot has changed since right after he came to Liberty and said some things in interviews that were "troubling". More recent statements seem to indicate he is way more excited about the potential where he is. I think it's also pretty clear his family loves it here.

Not saying he is likely to be a "Liberty Lifer", but in light of the events of the last couple of months with his health, I would be shocked if he took another offer after this season. Even taking the most cynical view possible, doesn't he have enough of an image problem already without adding to it by cutting out at the first opportunity on the school whose President moved heaven and earth to help him through a life-threatening situation? I just don't see it. IMHO, it will be at least 3 years before he considers leaving, and an awful lot can happen between now and then.
Excellent post old flame .

There are SEC jobs, and there is Vanderbilt .
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
[quote=flameshaw post_id=586062 time=1571004953 user_id=48]
Reading between the lines, I am more concerned about some other subtleties that may raise their ugly heads. 8)
[/quote]

I must be crazy because i cant follow you at all there.

I think its changed enough that we have a shot to keep him a few years where i felt before it was no time and he was gone. However, it just feels like he is made for big time college football. Should he be presented attractive p5 opportunities and stay then that says one of 2 things or possibly both. One, his family really is the most important thing. Two, he thinks he can elevate us to that level reasonably quickly.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: October 13th, 2019, 8:04 pm
flameshaw wrote: October 13th, 2019, 6:15 pm Reading between the lines, I am more concerned about some other subtleties that may raise their ugly heads. 8)
I must be crazy because i cant follow you at all there.

I think its changed enough that we have a shot to keep him a few years where i felt before it was no time and he was gone. However, it just feels like he is made for big time college football. Should he be presented attractive p5 opportunities and stay then that says one of 2 things or possibly both. One, his family really is the most important thing. Two, he thinks he can elevate us to that level reasonably quickly.
It is all out there in the public domain, (facebook), just have to be a little creative and have no life. May be nothing, but it smells a little ripe.
Last edited by flameshaw on October 14th, 2019, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By LUOrange
Because of his back/health issue, I think he stays a little while- at least 2-3 years. Prior to that issue, I could've seen him walking after this year like he did at Arky State. But LU and Jr. really stood by him and helped him out, and he's in a different point in his life than then.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 13th, 2019, 8:36 pm By 2021, going from LU to Arkansas might be considered a demotion.
Ballcoach never disappoints! :oldhag
Oldflame, what's wrong with my math? :dontgetit
By GoLU_13_21
"what we can do here" "opportunities I might have had"

What's everyone so worried about Hugh will be here for the next 4-5 years
Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point[…]

Longwood

Liberty heads east down 460 today for a game at Lo[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball