Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Watching Army Navy and napping.
That's what an action packed game like that can do to one.
Or being almost 70. :oldhag
By CCWMichael
Cider Jim wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Watching Army Navy and napping.
That's what an action packed game like that can do to one.
Or being almost 70. :oldhag
And, there is that :boring
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
gerb wrote:Great article. Lots of recent, personal insight on coach.

Notable quote:

"The ultimate scenario, according to Freeze, would be a head coaching position where he brings in old staffmembers and gives them another great opportunity. "

https://brianjstultz.com/f/twitter-golf ... -dark-time
Notable quote:

"Freeze promoted an atmosphere of rules compliance, but he failed to monitor his staff"

http://www.tribtown.com/2018/12/07/fbc-liberty-freeze/

Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for him. GO Flames!
By BigRed1
In light of what has happened in the last few days, I would like to share a few thoughts. First, I can’t believe Jr. was going to extend Gill for multiple years. With that being said, after watching Gill’s press conference and the demeanor he had I wonder if retirement was totally based on his wife’s condition. He seemed to downplay her condition a little bit. I wonder if Jr. put the ultimatum that Gill has to make changes in his staff. And not just shuffling them around. Out of stubbornness or blind loyalty he balked. Maybe that’s why he said he had the best staff anywhere. Really? Another thing I noticed is some are talking about Coach Freeze leaving before he has even started. Maybe down the road he does. But Coach Freeze knows that 6 win seasons isn’t going to get you a job offer from any P5 conferences, let along the SEC. I’m thinking a few years of 9-11 wins gets you noticed. And if Freeze is drawn away, we have an opening for a pretty good program. That means it’s more appealing to more top notch names. If Coach Freeze succeeds then I see it as a win win situation. I may be totally wrong in my thoughts, but I thought I would share them.
By tyndal23
I agree with both major points. Freeze did escalate things which I love - we have to immediately schedule as a P5 equivalent before P5 teams box us out like UCF - no one wants to schedule them now - we have to get to 6 and be considered a P5 game, otherwise there is no upside for any P5 schools to schedule us ( a win over UCF only counts as a G5 win ) and we will be stuck in G5 Pugartory forever - which effects quality and longevity of coaches and quality of recruits.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
BigRed1 wrote:In light of what has happened in the last few days, I would like to share a few thoughts. First, I can’t believe Jr. was going to extend Gill for multiple years. With that being said, after watching Gill’s press conference and the demeanor he had I wonder if retirement was totally based on his wife’s condition. He seemed to downplay her condition a little bit. I wonder if Jr. put the ultimatum that Gill has to make changes in his staff. And not just shuffling them around. Out of stubbornness or blind loyalty he balked. Maybe that’s why he said he had the best staff anywhere. Really? Another thing I noticed is some are talking about Coach Freeze leaving before he has even started. Maybe down the road he does. But Coach Freeze knows that 6 win seasons isn’t going to get you a job offer from any P5 conferences, let along the SEC. I’m thinking a few years of 9-11 wins gets you noticed. And if Freeze is drawn away, we have an opening for a pretty good program. That means it’s more appealing to more top notch names. If Coach Freeze succeeds then I see it as a win win situation. I may be totally wrong in my thoughts, but I thought I would share them.
I'm curious. Were folks worried about Sam Rutigliano leaving at any point given his success here? Was he ever offered D1 jobs and, if so, did he turn them down? I've only been following LU athletics more diligently since the late 90's.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:I agree with both major points. Freeze did escalate things which I love - we have to immediately schedule as a P5 equivalent before P5 teams box us out like UCF - no one wants to schedule them now - we have to get to 6 and be considered a P5 game, otherwise there is no upside for any P5 schools to schedule us ( a win over UCF only counts as a G5 win ) and we will be stuck in G5 Pugartory forever - which effects quality and longevity of coaches and quality of recruits.
I don’t think you are looking at the big picture. IMO, P5 and G5 will be irrelevant in the next 5 years
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
BigRed1 wrote:In light of what has happened in the last few days, I would like to share a few thoughts. First, I can’t believe Jr. was going to extend Gill for multiple years. With that being said, after watching Gill’s press conference and the demeanor he had I wonder if retirement was totally based on his wife’s condition. He seemed to downplay her condition a little bit. I wonder if Jr. put the ultimatum that Gill has to make changes in his staff. And not just shuffling them around. Out of stubbornness or blind loyalty he balked. Maybe that’s why he said he had the best staff anywhere. Really? Another thing I noticed is some are talking about Coach Freeze leaving before he has even started. Maybe down the road he does. But Coach Freeze knows that 6 win seasons isn’t going to get you a job offer from any P5 conferences, let along the SEC. I’m thinking a few years of 9-11 wins gets you noticed. And if Freeze is drawn away, we have an opening for a pretty good program. That means it’s more appealing to more top notch names. If Coach Freeze succeeds then I see it as a win win situation. I may be totally wrong in my thoughts, but I thought I would share them.
I'm curious. Were folks worried about Sam Rutigliano leaving at any point given his success here? Was he ever offered D1 jobs and, if so, did he turn them down? I've only been following LU athletics more diligently since the late 90's.
Not really, he was older than dirt when we hired him. We had a good coach, but we were kinda forced into hiring him because of some extenuating circumstances and the fact that he was a Yuuuuge "name".
tyndal23 wrote:I agree with both major points. Freeze did escalate things which I love - we have to immediately schedule as a P5 equivalent before P5 teams box us out like UCF - no one wants to schedule them now - we have to get to 6 and be considered a P5 game, otherwise there is no upside for any P5 schools to schedule us ( a win over UCF only counts as a G5 win ) and we will be stuck in G5 Pugartory forever - which effects quality and longevity of coaches and quality of recruits.
This might sound crazy, but you have a point when it comes to business. Not saying that it will be easy, but that’s how Norte Dame became who they are. They received the coach (Knute Rockne) that paved the way for the school. It’s easy to say it’s not possible now, but these are the people who doesn’t make history. As I said before, I’m not sure with 6-7 P5’s, but I wouldn’t mind having 2-3 low P5’s and 1 notable P5. Might as well use Coach Freeze for the best and put a stamp on the school plus Lynchburg. We have to take risks, and so far becoming FBS and receiving a P5 coach/staff is a good start.
By tyndal23
Sam was 56 and in the broadcast booth at ABC for NFL with no intention of coaching again - JF got to know him a year before and came after him hard. ( and I was fortunate enough to be on his first LU team ).
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
And Coach Sam knew he had an NFL tight end in Eric Green; maybe Coach Freeze will see that same level of talent in AGG.
By BigRed1
Purple Haize wrote:
I don’t think you are looking at the big picture. IMO, P5 and G5 will be irrelevant in the next 5 years
What’s your thoughts on this? Do you think there will be more groups or both merging into one or something else altogether?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BigRed1 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
What’s your thoughts on this? Do you think there will be more groups or both merging into one or something else altogether?
Won’t hijack the thread too bad. But I think you will be looking at something else entirely. Football is expensive. Not every school is going to be able to keep up in the arms race. Just take a look at the stadiums for the Bowl games not on New Year’s Day or the 3 Championship Bowl playoffs. Look at the TV numbers. Then research what each team lost.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Many schools lose money on their bowl games. They have to buy x number of tickets, then pay for travel, hotels, etc to game. Then share money they get from bowl with all other schools in their conference. Only people who make money off bowls are mostly the Bowl Executives.
By BigRed1
Thanks PH for your feedback. Football is expensive and getting more expensive every year. And you’re definitely right about the Bowl games not on New Years Day. You could hold many of them in a high school stadium and still have empty seats. I think an over saturation of bowl games plays some part in that. There was a time when 7 and 8 win teams stayed home. Now some of these bowls are worried if they can find a 6 win team to play. I’m probably in the minority, but I don’t necessarily believe finishing with as many losses as wins warrants a bowl invite. I think you should be rewarded for having a good season, not rewarded for being mediocre. Anyhow, that’s probably better for another thread. Thanks for your thoughts.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Sounds as if Boo Hoos may be running scared.

I don't like UVA or Charlottesville, but I have admired Jerry Ratcliff's sports writing a long time.

I'd love to see LU flip some UVA recruits.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I'd love to see LU flip some VA Tech recruits.
FIFY :lol:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Positive, yes, but also short sighted. Our recruiting has never been limited to just Virginia, but now we can really recruit nationally (and internationally) like we have never done before.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Positive, yes, but also short sighted. Our recruiting has never been limited to just Virginia, but now we can really recruit nationally (and internationally) like we have never done before.
That is certainly true, and will continue to be, but now, for the first time, we also may actually be able to make some inroads into landing some of the elite VA kids who were always a lock for VT or UVA.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]