Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Hate to burst the bubble but uva and vt arent getting most of the elite kids in va. The talent is down from where it once was for one. Penn state has swiped a bunch, chris beaty at maryland gets a couple the last 2 years after mendenhall didnt retain him. Duke and Carolina have done surprisingly well. Also bama lsu and fsu all come in for the right kids.

I would guess uva and vt get maybe 7 to 10 max combined of the top 25 the last few years.
By gerb
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm two episodes into the Foul Play series and it's incredibly fascinating.
I really have compassion for these kids that come from poverty and get exploited by the current system.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
This and the bag men article from a few years back are incredible. Glad some of this stuff is finally coming to light. Dont think this doesn't happen outside the SEC because it happens everywhere. And IMHO it will be the ultimate downfall of the current system. The NCAA is going to see the SEC and probably several other conferences leave for a pay for play model.
By CCWMichael
gerb wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm two episodes into the Foul Play series and it's incredibly fascinating.
I really have compassion for these kids that come from poverty and get exploited by the current system.
Pay for play worst idea evar.
This will destroy collegiate sports.
A free education and the best of trainers is not good enough?
No matter what background you come from this is huge.
The kids also still get to play a GAME they love while in college.
Do not like not getting paid. Stand for something and do not play.
With some of the kids I've been around many start with just football on the mind and they must be molded into students.
Ever school has tutoring programs and so on. What support from a system that does not care.
Go ahead, pay for theses services privately.

So, we start paying football players. It must be an even pay system.
Man, this will bankrupt lower level schools at any level.
Lawsuits galore.
If they are paid I should be as well from football players at all levels.
Now, all the other scholarship students in every sport does not want to be used. I see Title 9 being big in this one.
Imagine prior players suing for cash.
Donors will fly away.
State funded schhols. There go your taxes.

I could continue to ramnble.
I will go Ballcoah15 on this idea.
Anyone who starts entertaining pay for play is a good idea .......

As an FYI: I graduated with a bachelors and no debt. It was worth the time I put on for it. Just saying.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
College athletes should not be paid. Anyone at any school who even mentions it should be fired and banned for life. College football is a college sport, same ad PH's favorite sport, women's basketball
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:College athletes should not be paid. Anyone at any school who even mentions it should be fired and banned for life. College football is a college sport, same ad PH's favorite sport, women's basketball
FYI, every scholarship athlete at Liberty is receiving $6,000 a year in FCOA stipends over and above tuition, room and board, extra food, fees and books.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
I would agree that straight up paying players is probably not the best idea. especially if the NCAA is running the show. But something is coming. Some sort of change is coming. O'bannon vs. The NCAA was the first step. FCOA was another. Slowly but surely players are going to get compensated. you may not like it. but its going to happen. There is too much of this kind of thing going on and eventually someone is going to blow it up. whether its conferences leaving the NCAA or what. I don't know what it will look like but I would be willing to bet that the NCAA as we know it completely changes in my lifetime.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:College athletes should not be paid. Anyone at any school who even mentions it should be fired and banned for life. College football is a college sport, same ad PH's favorite sport, women's basketball
You seem obsessed with the idea of taking away people´s livelihood for even suggesting something you are opposed to. While you´re at it, why don´t we castrate them and burn them at the stake?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have played a lot of sports in my lifetime, and never was paid a dime. I played for the fun of playing and winning championships. That's what college sports should be about, in addition to getting an education.

I know athletes are paid that extra $$$$$ in addition to their education being paid for.

If college athletes start getting paid, many schools will "go under". I wonder how some survive now.
By gerb
CCWMichael wrote:
gerb wrote:
Pay for play worst idea evar.
This will destroy collegiate sports.
A free education and the best of trainers is not good enough?
No matter what background you come from this is huge.
The kids also still get to play a GAME they love while in college.
Do not like not getting paid. Stand for something and do not play.
With some of the kids I've been around many start with just football on the mind and they must be molded into students.
Ever school has tutoring programs and so on. What support from a system that does not care.
Go ahead, pay for theses services privately.

So, we start paying football players. It must be an even pay system.
Man, this will bankrupt lower level schools at any level.
Lawsuits galore.
If they are paid I should be as well from football players at all levels.
Now, all the other scholarship students in every sport does not want to be used. I see Title 9 being big in this one.
Imagine prior players suing for cash.
Donors will fly away.
State funded schhols. There go your taxes.

I could continue to ramnble.
I will go Ballcoah15 on this idea.
Anyone who starts entertaining pay for play is a good idea .......

As an FYI: I graduated with a bachelors and no debt. It was worth the time I put on for it. Just saying.
:roll:
NCAA athletes are the only group of people who can't make money off their skillset. I'm not a fan of giving them a salary from the school, but I can't think of any logical reason why they shouldn't be allowed to make money off their likeness. If an auto dealer wants to pay them for coming and signing autographs then they should be allowed to take that money.
By cruzan_flame13
Jonathan Carone wrote:NCAA athletes are the only group of people who can't make money off their skillset. I'm not a fan of giving them a salary from the school, but I can't think of any logical reason why they shouldn't be allowed to make money off their likeness. If an auto dealer wants to pay them for coming and signing autographs then they should be allowed to take that money.
+1
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:NCAA athletes are the only group of people who can't make money off their skillset. I'm not a fan of giving them a salary from the school, but I can't think of any logical reason why they shouldn't be allowed to make money off their likeness. If an auto dealer wants to pay them for coming and signing autographs then they should be allowed to take that money.
+1
I think the issue lies in how you can regulate it. How do you prevent a car dealer from paying a student athlete $15k for a signing? How can you allow it without the basketball issues taking center stage?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts

Bad idea. If the local Chevrolet dealer pays the star QB, then then the Left Tackle will want to get paid. And the Wide receivers, etc.etc. etc. If QB or other positions are getting paid and some are not, it will cause serious problems within the team,. Go to school, get education, then get a job, whether it be NFL or somewhere else. Only small % of college players end up in NFL. Same goes for other sports vs Pro careers. If football players get paid then basketball players and baseball players will have to get paid. Then let's not forget about softball and volleyball. I can see Title IX lawyers having a field day, with all this "paying athletes".
Everyone should drop idea of paying college athletes, beyond what's being paid now, including raises to cover COL.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Just listened to Coach being interview on Jox here in AL. I have got to say it is awesome to hear LU on a station that is pretty much all SEC all the time. One small critque: I would like to hear him play up the positives of LU a little more. A little more excitement for who we are and where we are going. There is potential her beyond just being a safe place for his family to reboot. Not discounting that as a positive too just change the emphasis a little. Talk us up! Not going to get these chances too often!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:As a bit of a change in direction for the conversation. It looks like LU is gaining some fans with the hire. A lot of OleMiss fans think he took too much blame and are Freeze fans for life.

https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=liberty ... e&src=typd
I think LU will gain a lot of new fans around the country, along with new Flames Club members also.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:As a bit of a change in direction for the conversation. It looks like LU is gaining some fans with the hire. A lot of OleMiss fans think he took too much blame and are Freeze fans for life.

https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=liberty ... e&src=typd
An awful lot ofTennessee fans voicing their support as well. They really wanted him as their OC.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
"I'm trying to recruit a class in a week"--Hugh Freeze
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
College football is a team sport. There is no "I" in TEAM. I can see the prima donna being an issue with team morale and with the coaching staff, especially getting royalties for the sale of "their jersey" etc. My 2 cents.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
College football is a team sport. There is no "I" in TEAM. I can see the prima donna being an issue with team morale and with the coaching staff, especially getting royalties for the sale of "their jersey" etc. My 2 cents.
And coaches will just have to adjust and manage this. Restricting the earnings of any group and thereby prohibiting a free market only serves to create an under-table black market. The issue could be regulation, but why regulate it much at all?

We’re talking about the ONLY group not permitted to trade on their own name/likeness. In a capitalist society. Think about that!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Visors are a Deep South thing. Now that he's in Virginia, maybe Coach Freeze will wear a ball cap like the one Ian gave him on Friday (or a ski cap for those winter games).
2024 Recruiting Discussion

He’s the exception to the rule. Opposing […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]