Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By R i
Registration Days Posts
Brian Bohannon
Head Coach
Kennesaw State

KSU Profile

Wikipedia

Coaching Career
  • 1994–1995 - West Georgia (AC)
    1996 ........ - Gardner–Webb (WR)
    1997–1999 - Georgia Southern (WR)
    2000–2001 - Georgia Southern (DB)
    2002–2007 - Navy (WR)
    2008–2012 - Georgia Tech (QB/B-backs)
    2013–Present - Kennesaw State

Built Kennesaw from literally nothing, and LU needs a builder, we dont have any prestige.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Agreed with both posts above. The thing that makes this search different, Ian is much more unpredictable and keeps things much closer to the vest than our former AD.

This board has not been fooled on a big hire in 10 + years. I truly believe this hire will come out of left field. Things are heating up, and I think we could expect an announcement sooner than later.
My first thought was that Bohannon would be a logical replacement for the retiring Paul Johnson at GT. Apparently the suits there have decided they need to ¨modernize¨ and move away from the TO, so they are looking in other directions.

As far as LU is concerned, I think as an independant running the TO would be a scheduling nightmare, especially with Army already out there scarfing up the limited options.
Last edited by olldflame on December 5th, 2018, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R i wrote:Agreed with both posts above. The thing that makes this search different, Ian is much more unpredictable and keeps things much closer to the vest than our former AD.

This board has not been fooled on a big hire in 10 + years. I truly believe this hire will come out of left field. Things are heating up, and I think we could expect an announcement sooner than later.
I've thought the same about this. With Ian, we really don't have any leaks, ever. It's what makes the speculation of the silly season fun.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
R i wrote:Agreed with both posts above. The thing that makes this search different, Ian is much more unpredictable and keeps things much closer to the vest than our former AD.

I've thought the same about this. With Ian, we really don't have any leaks, ever. It's what makes the speculation of the silly season fun.
I am currently having a blast playing Monday Morning AD. Who would I hire ?! I haven't come across that one candidate that makes perfect sense quite yet, other than the obvious Streeter. Does Ian feel the same about former LU guys like him ?
I actually wouldn't mind this. knowing what i know about Kennesaw state and the fact that this is the last year of Bohannons original recruiting class it would make sense for him to make a move. and I think he does go somewhere. I just don't know if we would be interested in going that route based on the personnel we have in place. it would majorly mess with recruiting. We are currently going through the opposite situation at my current employer.
Ian is always by himself. I live an hour away but hit most all the football home games and a couple basketball and baseball each year. Never have seen anyone with him. Hes always like the watchful eye scanning and monitoring everything. Personality is not like JBs at all in that regard. I get the sense after Baylor Patulski Guridy and JR are the only people he truly trusts.
R i wrote:I am currently having a blast playing Monday Morning AD. Who would I hire ?! I haven't come across that one candidate that makes perfect sense quite yet, other than the obvious Streeter. Does Ian feel the same about former LU guys like him ?
I haven't found that guy yet either. Part of it is I don't know what we could pull in.

Back to the original topic at hand:

If Bohannon ran a spread option or the Jamie Chadwell spread triple option, I could get behind this. I just don't want the traditional triple option.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Ian wouldn't go for it. He is totally into a more modern conventional style , one that easily translates to all future recruits and future coaching candidates.
Bohannon is perfectly capable of running a spread version of his offense. A la Chadwell. I Just don't think we go that direction. I honestly have no clue who i'd be ok with if we don't get streeter.
ballcoach15 wrote:I doubt if Ian is as "hung up" on former players being candidates for HC, as some are. I doubt if he even gives it a thought as for a requirement.

Remember, Jerry Jr. told him to get best coach he can.
I think you are right. I said a while back I wouldn’t be surprised if Ian went with someone that has no connection to Liberty. If Ian is allowed to do his job I would expect someone that knows the Southeast recruiting landscape well. Someone that runs a wide open offense that will be here for awhile. What would make someone an “awhile” candidate? Not much history as a head coach at this level. If Freeze got the job and wins 9-10 games next year, which I think he would be capable of with our talent, he would leave for a bigger job. That would set our program back for a LONG time.
Ewglenn wrote:If Freeze got the job and wins 9-10 games next year, which I think he would be capable of with our talent, he would leave for a bigger job. That would set our program back for a LONG time.
This couldn’t be more wrong. If the next coach comes in and wins 9-10 games before being scooped up by a bigger program it solidifies a couple things:

1) You can win at Liberty.

2) You can move up from Liberty.

Those are two things that have never been proven. They are question marks any coach would have when thinking about coming here. If a coach proves them to be true then it only opens us up for a better coach.

I’ll gladly become a school that is known for producing quality P5 coaches. That means we are winning and winning a lot.
I am not sure he would leave for bigger job. He's coached in SEC, there's no place he could go that's bigger than SEC. He could stay at LU for the long haul and be happy, I think. He may not have ego and love of money as some coaches. LU could pay him well and he'd be happy.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:If Freeze got the job and wins 9-10 games next year, which I think he would be capable of with our talent, he would leave for a bigger job. That would set our program back for a LONG time.
This couldn’t be more wrong. If the next coach comes in and wins 9-10 games before being scooped up by a bigger program it solidifies a couple things:

1) You can win at Liberty.

2) You can move up from Liberty.

Those are two things that have never been proven. They are question marks any coach would have when thinking about coming here. If a coach proves them to be true then it only opens us up for a better coach.

I’ll gladly become a school that is known for producing quality P5 coaches. That means we are winning and winning a lot.
You are right about the perception being good but that wasn’t what I was getting at. We would be able to attract coaches because we could show that you can use this as a chance to move up. What I was referencing is that Freeze would come in and get some of the best players in program history at their positions. We would lose our coach and those players after next year. So mix that with two bad recruiting classes, this year and next because of so much change, it would be a long time before we could duplicate that success. Our new coach will regress in year two you can bank on that.
Jonathan Carone wrote:Any coach is going to regress losing 22 seniors. That’s expected regardless.
So you think if we do this we’d be in a better position?

Get Freeze
Go 9-3
Freeze leaves to go take a job like UCF
Hire our next coach
Ewglenn wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Any coach is going to regress losing 22 seniors. That’s expected regardless.
So you think if we do this we’d be in a better position?

Get Freeze
Go 9-3
Freeze leaves to go take a job like UCF
Hire our next coach
I’m not sure UCF would be a big enough jump to leave LU
Jonathan Carone wrote:I’d rather do that than go 6-6 next year.
If we get Freeze and he goes 9-3 he is gone (because others will see the track record and the pr nightmare is over). If we get Streeter and he goes 9-3 he isn’t gone(still an unknown coach and would take a few more years for other programs to buy in). That’s my main point.
Ewglenn wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I’d rather do that than go 6-6 next year.
If we get Freeze and he goes 9-3 he is gone (because others will see the track record and the pr nightmare is over). If we get Streeter and he goes 9-3 he isn’t gone(still an unknown coach and would take a few more years for other programs to buy in). That’s my main point.
What makes you think Freeze would leave before Streeter?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]