Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

One of the most entertaining parts of a coaching search is the fans getting to speculate on who the next head coach should be as if we have any clue what we're doing.

In this thread, you get the chance to be the Athletic Director.

If you were running the search for a new head coach, what qualifications would you be looking for in the head coach?

We're not looking for specific coaches, but rather what attributes should that coach have?
Power 5 HC Experience (SEC, ACC or B12)
Offensive Guru
Excellent recruiter
Good Xs and Os guy
Knows value of good defensive coordinator
Good personality with media/community
Be good at in-game and halftime adjustments
Be good at "coaching 'em up" (take a 2 star recruit and make him a 3 star or better)
Last edited by ballcoach15 on December 4th, 2018, 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Must be a Christian
I don't need my head coach to be as out spoken as Turner Gill, but he has to have a legitimate relationship with Jesus.

Offensive minded
I'd prefer to have a coach that was offensive minded. I think given our situation as an independent, being an offensive geared team will help attract fans and recruits.

Must have a modern system
I want a guy who brings with him an identity and a system. I don't much care what it is, but it can't be "multiple" or anything like that. We need something that can become our identity that we sell to recruits and fans.

Power 5 experience
This isn't a must have, but I'd love if it he had power 5 experience, even as a position coach.

Administrative experience
Having a guy who has held the title of recruiting coordinator, associate head coach, or something administrative is important to me since the role of the head coach is highly organizational.
Faith. Turner Gill set the bar here. Liberty will not compromise.

Coaching Experience. It doesn't have to be HC, but someone that has a history in coaching.

Delegation. Someone that has shown the capability to surround himself with others that can succeed and giving them the ability to do so.

Vision. They must be capable of setting their own goals, not just the ones that are set for them.

Development. They must make players better than the sum of their parts. Seniors should routinely start because they have been in the system for 4 years and have grown.

Assumption of Excellence. We need to bring back, "If it's Christian, it ought to be better." This is a locker room mindset that you can sell to recruits. Our faith is not a weakness on the recruiting trail, it is our greatest strength.

Involved. I want to see videos of the coach at practice helping develop people as a supplement to the position coach. The stoic overwatch doesn't instill confidence.

Passion. I want to see my coach mad after a heartbreaking loss. Getting out coached is okay as long as we aren't out efforted.
Class of 20Something wrote:Involved. I want to see videos of the coach at practice helping develop people as a supplement to the position coach. The stoic overwatch doesn't instill confidence.

Passion. I want to see my coach mad after a heartbreaking loss. Getting out coached is okay as long as we aren't out efforted.
I like these two.

From everyone inside the program, they said Gill was different in private than in public. He wasn't the stoic overseer to the team.

That said, when you're the face of a program, especially an independent who is building, you need to have some outward energy and passion for people to rally around.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Power 5 HC Experience (SEC, ACC or B12)
Offensive Guru
Excellent recruiter
Good Xs and Os guy
Knows value of good defensive coordinator
Good personality with media/community
Be good at in-game and halftime adjustments
Be good at "coaching 'em up" (take a 2 star recruit and make him a 3 star or better)
You included a lot of qualities that are really not necessary in a HC, as long as he knows how to hire the right assistants who have them. You also left out something totally essential. There are coaches who could check off all those boxes and they would have no business coaching at Liberty University.
BuryYourDuke wrote:Strong commitment to social justice, up tempo offense, and as many uniform combinations as mathematically possible. Snapchat game must be tight.

Knowing how to “floss” is also preferable.
:lol:
By CCWMichael
A follower.
A winner and at what level winning may not matter if he or she (*for social justice :D ) has a system that works.
Must have a team to bring in that can recruit.
Your are only as good as your leadership and every great leader has great employess.
Proven history of player developmet and typically a winning pattern reflects that.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
1. Must be Christian
This one is non-negotiable for someone who is going to be a leader of young men
2. Offensive minded
As a fan of one of the highest scoring teams in the NFL and one of the highest scoring teams in the FBS (but second in my loyalty to Liberty), i love high flying, high scoring offenses.
3. Outstanding developer of talent
I want to have a coach who, in concert with his assistants, can recruit and take a raw player and make him good, but also take a good player and make him great, and take a great player and make him legendary, regardless of position
4. Community focused
This is one you don't think about as much, but i would love a coach who is out among the people. Someone who you could sit down with at Golden Corral (or any restaurant really) and talk yo, but also someone actively involved civically through community and charity initiatives among other things.
5. Coaching experience.
Maybe about 10-15 years ago this might have been a good first job for someone at the D1 level, but i do think this could be a destination job among G5 colleges (something that i don't think you find too often these days), so having someone who has been in the trenches as a head coach as opposed to someone using this job to get to a bigger one would ne my choice
6. Leader of men
As obvious as this might sound, i want someone who can not only lead the players, but be a leader snd positive influencer among his assistants as well and is a good delegator as someone mentioned earlier
7. Passionate
One of the biggest knocks on TG around here was the fact that he seemed to lack emotion on the field and in game. That doesn't mean that he rants and raves and stomps around like he has no control over himself, but whether a good play or a not so good one, he actually is willing to offer some reaction to it
By Ewglenn
I am looking for someone to run the program as clean as Gill but that is more consistent while coaching the game. I like Gill in all aspects except poor game management. Also maybe a little more entertaining to watch in pressers.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]