Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Curt Cignetti
Head Coach
Elon University
Age - 57

Elon Profile

Wikipedia

Career head coaching record: 67-26.
CAA Coach of the Year 2017.

Cignetti has taken Elon to the FCS playoffs every year that he has been there as head coach.

This past year he led Elon to wins over JMU and Richmond.

Might not be the flashiest candidate, but a solid coach.
By rtb72
I live about 1 mile from Elon and I'm not sure on this. My concern is what type of discipline he would usher in. I highly regarded TG for this aspect. No matter what talent of player you were....you maintained your character on and off the field, or you found yourself OFF THE FIELD. I'm not sure that's the case at Elon. Of course, that could be a matter of institutional support as well....but it would be a concern. I think we should shoot for a more extensive body of work, but he certainly has done something for Elon. They were "everybody's homecoming" before he arrived.
rtb72 wrote:I live about 1 mile from Elon and I'm not sure on this. My concern is what type of discipline he would usher in. I highly regarded TG for this aspect. No matter what talent of player you were....you maintained your character on and off the field, or you found yourself OFF THE FIELD. I'm not sure that's the case at Elon. Of course, that could be a matter of institutional support as well....but it would be a concern. I think we should shoot for a more extensive body of work, but he certainly has done something for Elon. They were "everybody's homecoming" before he arrived.
Please reference your claims.
By rtb72
Ewglenn wrote:
rtb72 wrote:I live about 1 mile from Elon and I'm not sure on this. My concern is what type of discipline he would usher in. I highly regarded TG for this aspect. No matter what talent of player you were....you maintained your character on and off the field, or you found yourself OFF THE FIELD. I'm not sure that's the case at Elon. Of course, that could be a matter of institutional support as well....but it would be a concern. I think we should shoot for a more extensive body of work, but he certainly has done something for Elon. They were "everybody's homecoming" before he arrived.
I'm a cop. I work in the area. I've lived here all my life and have seen the program for the past 48 years.
rtb72 wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:
I'm a cop. I work in the area. I've lived here all my life and have seen the program for the past 48 years.
So, nothing?
By rtb72
Please reference your claims.[/quote]

I'm a cop. I work in the area. I've lived here all my life and have seen the program for the past 48 years.[/quote]

So, nothing?[/quote]

I'm not going to debate you. I know the philosophy and I've dealt with many students over the course of my career. I know what i've seen and the stance historically taken for athletes. What source do you want...an interview with me. I mean, you want me to send you arrest reports, UCR reports, investigative reports, interviews, the school discipline history. I can only tell you what i've seen and experienced. If that's not good enough for you I don't know what to tell you...quite frankly I don't give two s***s if it satisfies your definition for sources or not.
By rtb72
Ewglenn wrote:To claim someone doesn’t run a clean program you would need to have references to back up that claim. Since it’s your experience I will take it as some random person spewing nonsense.
I don't care how you take it. We can just call it a day as I'll consider you just some random person that doesn't know what they're talking about so they just project pejoratives on others who might.
By rtb72
Also, I didn't say the guy didn't run a clean program. I simply said I had concerns based on what I've seen. Take it or leave it, don't care. Random, nonsense......whatever you feel like assuming.
rtb72 wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:To claim someone doesn’t run a clean program you would need to have references to back up that claim. Since it’s your experience I will take it as some random person spewing nonsense.
I don't care how you take it. We can just call it a day as I'll consider you just some random person that doesn't know what they're talking about so they just project pejoratives on others who might.
I wasn’t the one claiming to know what I was talking about. Sounds good to me though!
rtb72 wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:
rtb72 wrote:I only claim what I know. Try it sometime.
What did I claim?
That I was a random person spewing nonsense. Maybe random to you....but as for nonsense...it is not.
Well since you can’t provide anything tangible...
By rtb72
I live about 1 mile from Elon and I'm not sure on this. My concern is what type of discipline he would usher in. I highly regarded TG for this aspect. No matter what talent of player you were....you maintained your character on and off the field, or you found yourself OFF THE FIELD. I'm not sure that's the case at Elon. Of course, that could be a matter of institutional support as well....but it would be a concern. I think we should shoot for a more extensive body of work, but he certainly has done something for Elon. They were "everybody's homecoming" before he arrived.

...and since you can't read. 1) never made claim, suggested a concern. 2) Tangible by definition is something that has substance or actual form. By definition this would include actual experience. And your assertion of nonsense, by definition would not have anything tangible to support it. Just you spewing nonsense. Nonsense, by definition meaning words or symbols constructed arbitrarily and without substance. Random person spewing nonsense....
By rtb72
Somewhat, yet I'm not so naive to think that it doesn't go on at other schools. But that was an area in which I admired TG.

My concern is also what doesn't make it to actual reporting or so tardy that an investigation is complicated to the point of being futile. Like I said before....there may very well be/have been some internal institutional influences at work also. Coach Cignetti might run a very tight ship. It would be something that should certainly be explored if he (anyone for that matter) were a candidate. Like I said, it would be a concern based on some history between LE, the school, and students. Not necessarily Cignetti as I have never suggested he ran a dirty program. When I suggested "i'm not sure that's the case at Elon"...that was not intended for Cignetti specifically.
By rtb72
Here's a story and I'm also posting a reply from one of the comments:

http://www.elonnewsnetwork.com/article/ ... -elon-2017

Carissa Hilliard
Sexual assault is a problem at Elon and far beyond.

When a sexual assault victim comes forward - the blame is ALWAYS placed on them. They drank the alcohol. They went to the frat party. They instigated it, somehow. Clearly, the Elon police are ineffective and the Elon administration is ineffective.

Over and over, the perpetrator gets away, even when reported. Why was the individual in this story still allowed at Elon? Why was he still allowed on the football team?

So much more needs to be done on this campus - starting with holding those who commit these crimes accountable.
Like · Reply · 9 · 1y

**NOTE** This was not under Cignetti....but there is some history as this young lady suggest in her comment post.
I’m going with rtb on this one. You’re not going to claim you’re a cop if you’re not. You’re not going to claim you are a cop near Elon if you’re not. You also aren’t going to run down the arrest records of people because...you know....COP.
Totally unrelated. In addition to his time at Elon, Cignetti did spend a few seasons at Alabama as a receivers coach. Furthermore, his brother is the current qb coach for the Green Bay Packers.

Before his time at Elon, Cignetti was at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. My sister graduated from there. It is a D2 school, but Cignetti to took them to the playoffs multiple times, and I believe they made it all the way to D2 national championship game, I believe, during his tenure at IUP.
I knew this guy would not be LU coach, thus I didn't do any homework on him. But seeing his track record in Roanoke paper today, he has a good resume.
Harrisonburg has a lot of riff Raff, hopefully he can keep athletes away from it.
If he's successful at JMU, I see him leaving for FBS job in 2 or 3 years.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I knew this guy would not be LU coach, thus I didn't do any homework on him. But seeing his track record in Roanoke paper today, he has a good resume.
Harrisonburg has a lot of riff Raff, hopefully he can keep athletes away from it.
Ever consider starting your own search firm? Consultants make good money.
JK37 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I knew this guy would not be LU coach, thus I didn't do any homework on him. But seeing his track record in Roanoke paper today, he has a good resume.
Ever consider starting your own search firm? Consultants make good money.
Well, he does think he knows more about college athletics than most people
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]