Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Hugh Freeze
Offensive Coordinator
Arizona Hotshots of AAF
Age - 49

Wikipedia

Coaching Career
  • 1992-1994 - Briarcrest (TN) HS Assistant
    1995-2004 - Briarcrest (TN) HS Head Coach
    2005 - Ole Miss Assistant AD for External Affairs
    2006-2007 - Ole Miss Assistant Coach - TEs/Recruiting Coordinator
    2008-2009 - Lambuth (NAIA) Head Coach
    2010 - Arkansas State Offensive Coordinator
    2011 - Arkansas State Head Coach
    2012-2016 - Ole Miss Head Coach
    Oct 2018-Present - Arizona Hotshots Offensive Coordinator

FootballScoop on Freeze to LU Rumor
The argument against him:

He’s rumored to be a shady recruiter. He hired a prostitute. Others have had less than impressive things to say about him character wise.

The argument for him:

The SEC is a pressure cooker and it got the best of him. He sacrificed his values for success and was found out. He’s repented and learned and now knows better.
I don't feel as strongly against him as I did with Ian and that has turned out to be better than expected....

With that said this would be bad press but Liberty doesn't care...

I think that he will be our next coach...

I also though Turner Gill would be our coach next year so what do I know?
thepostman wrote:I don't feel as strongly against him as I did with Ian and that has turned out to be better than expected....

With that said this would be bad press but Liberty doesn't care...

I think that he will be our next coach...

I also though Turner Gill would be our coach next year so what do I know?
It’s crazy man lol. As I said when I joined ASOR about two years ago, anything is possible. I know folks thought I was drinking too much lol aid, but this stuff happens in college sports. I’ll say this post, lets just enjoy the ride 8)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I see it actually a different direction. When you are repairing a marriage we are the type of location that would create an environment thay fosters healing and shows humility.

For the record, I would be fine with this hire but I am not convinced it is the best fit for us moving forward.
BuryYourDuke wrote:I would be pretty happy with this, but I just don’t see it. An OC job at an SEC school, or a place like FSU is a much higher profile gig for his rehab job than LU.
What intrigues me is if he’s a guy like Turner Gill. Someone who’d be in the pressure of secular P5 football who realizes that’s not what he wants to do anymore and instead realizes he could have a great life here. It’s where I think Ritchie is now too. I don’t think Freeze is at that point, but given his story, it could be possible.
BuryYourDuke wrote:I would be pretty happy with this, but I just don’t see it. An OC job at an SEC school, or a place like FSU is a much higher profile gig for his rehab job than LU.
I see your point. At the same time we received a commit who could’ve received a full scholarship of a higher profile gig (Florida), but choose is based on the mission. You can’t compare a player to coach/coordinator, but Freeze could be interested in vision and become humble enough to select a job that’s not P5 worthy.

Not saying that this is even accurate whatsoever and I will not hold my breath lol
By tyndal23
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
I see your point. At the same time we received a commit who could’ve received a full scholarship of a higher profile gig (Florida), but choose is based on the mission. You can’t compare a player to coach/coordinator, but Freeze could be interested in vision and become humble enough to select a job that’s not P5 worthy.

Not saying that this is even accurate whatsoever and I will not hold my breath lol
High end recruits coming because of the mission and the school is exactly why I keep hammering P5 - there are 25 kids a year nationwide that are big time that would come to LU as a P5 equivalent with a major head coach. I really don’t understand why more people on this board aren’t grasping this.
tyndal23 wrote:I really don’t understand why more people on this board aren’t grasping this.
We get the idea and agree with it. What we don’t agree with is the idea of forcing it to happen by xx year. What you’re advocating for is the goal, but most know it’ll be a slow and steady process to get there and constantly losing to P5s won’t get us there faster than consistently beating G5s.
@tyndal

What you’re saying is long term and could be shortened if we play the game correctly. Folks can’t believe it because it looks impossible. Going to the FBS was impossible. Having a recruit choose us before a P5 school was impossible. Some folks have vision and some folks cannot see it so it’s a joke. I like your optimism and I hope we all can see all that you’re saying come to fruition one step at a time.
If the hate from social media on him even being a candidate for the job is any indication of the PR hit we’d take I’d say this would be a bad idea. Then again when have we ever cared about PR lol. People haven’t really forgotten about the Ian hire yet either apparently lol
tyndal23 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

High end recruits coming because of the mission and the school is exactly why I keep hammering P5 - there are 25 kids a year nationwide that are big time that would come to LU as a P5 equivalent with a major head coach. I really don’t understand why more people on this board aren’t grasping this.
I agree. We need a big name Coach. Freeze is best candidate of all those being tossed about.
By tyndal23
Schedule dictates whether we are P5 equivalent, not record...1 conference that states that LU is now considered a P5 for scheduling requirements ( like Big 12 who require 1 non con to be P5 and treat BYU as such ) is all it takes and that happens IF you schedule 6 or more, coordinate with a conference(s) stating that is our goal and a win win for both parties, set the year, hire the coach and recruit towards it - not hard - I still haven’t heard alternatiive B from any of you other than take it step - well - step by step like who? - no one else is like us now or in recent history to compare to - we have unique challenges but more unique opportunities, Not having a clear goal with a timeline dictates what type of coach we keep ( we can always hire well - but how do we keep them and not have same problem every G5 school has as a stepping stone job after 1 good season )
tyndal23 wrote:Schedule dictates whether we are P5 equivalent, not record...1 conference that states that LU is now considered a P5 for scheduling requirements ( like Big 12 who require 1 non con to be P5 and treat BYU as such ) is all it takes and that happens IF you schedule 6 or more, coordinate with a conference(s) stating that is our goal and a win win for both parties, set the year, hire the coach and recruit towards it - not hard - I still haven’t heard alternatiive B from any of you other than take it step - well - step by step like who? - no one else is like us now or in recent history to compare to - we have unique challenges but more unique opportunities, Not having a clear goal with a timeline dictates what type of coach we keep ( we can always hire well - but how do we keep them and not have same problem every G5 school has as a stepping stone job after 1 good season )
Yep uve been given explanation. You just don’t agree with them
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Schedule dictates whether we are P5 equivalent, not record...
You are crazy. :lol:

Consider UCF. Much of the narrative is that they don’t get any respect. Right? Do you agree? Why is that argument wrong? Come on, you can do it! :idea:
g-webb1994 wrote:If you hire Freeze or Briles, then you deserve your fate. Both are scum that throw out scripture to make themselves look holy. Stay away from them.
Thanks for the input Judge Judy. Glad you’ve had interactions with them and can steer the ship
alabama24 wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:Schedule dictates whether we are P5 equivalent, not record...
You are crazy. :lol:

Consider UCF. Much of the narrative is that they don’t get any respect. Right? Do you agree? Why is that argument wrong? Come on, you can do it! :idea:
Are u asking me why UCF who is in a G5 Conference and plays an average of 2 P5 games a year don’t make them P5 equivalent like BYU for the Big 12 ? Not clear on what you are wanting me to agree with?
You harp on "Schedule dictates whether we are P5 equivalent, not record...", right?
UCF has a great record, but bad schedule, and the popular opinion is that they "don't receive any respect," right?
To "receive respect," we would have to have a "P5 equivalent schedule," right?

Isn't this the essence of what you continue to harp on ad nauseam?

Despite how the above seems, UCF proves MY point, not yours. For us, for the foreseeable future, RECORD trumps SCHEDULE.
I hate to burst everyone’s bubble, but I spoke with someone close to Tennessee last night, and it appears Freeze could be hired there as offensive coordinator as early as today if a couple of donors set aside their differences.

The Football Scoop story source was likely Freeze’s agent trying to get more money for his client.
Damien Sordelett wrote:I hate to burst everyone’s bubble, but I spoke with someone close to Tennessee last night, and it appears Freeze could be hired there as offensive coordinator as early as today if a couple of donors set aside their differences.

The Football Scoop story source was likely Freeze’s agent trying to get more money for his client.
There were a lot of people in Tennessee circles thinking all the reports of Freeze yesterday was Sexton putting pressure on the Tennessee boosters.
Damien Sordelett wrote:I hate to burst everyone’s bubble, but I spoke with someone close to Tennessee last night, and it appears Freeze could be hired there as offensive coordinator as early as today if a couple of donors set aside their differences.

Flight trackers are not a source of anykind but it appears, according to the Tennessee trackers, he was in accordingt to an airplane.

This wouldn't burst my bubble at all. I would be relieved...
2024 Recruiting Discussion

When you have a chance to pick up a talent like th[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]