Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

When Frank Hickson couldn't coach anymore, there was a role for him on the campus pastor's staff.

As the athletic department grows, I've got to think there is a role for another athletics focused chaplain that Gill could do should he want to do it. He loves his players and they obviously love him too. He'd be great at that.
A Sea of Red wrote:For whoever said that Joe Dailey stormed out of the FOC yesterday, you would be correct. He had just received a call from his wife that she was in labor.
This made me laugh more than it should've.

I love the silly season so much.
A Sea of Red wrote:For whoever said that Joe Dailey stormed out of the FOC yesterday, you would be correct. He had just received a call from his wife that she was in labor.
It was the stress from this announcement!!!
Equinox wrote:So we asked the question: is Hugh actually a legitimate candidate? The response we received from a source connected to Liberty is that the school has already advanced the discussions. A source tells FootballScoop Hugh Freeze is indeed a strong candidate at Liberty.

http://footballscoop.com/news/source-li ... gh-freeze/
I joined the board today just to say how bad this would make Liberty look. I have unique insight into this because I am not only a Liberty alum but I've also grown up with season tickets to Mississippi State (and attended there as well). I can tell you Coach Freeze's reputation here in the Memphis area is extremely tarnished and would bring that on Liberty as a whole. As an avid Mississippi State fan still, I can tell you stories about Coach Freeze's time at Ole Miss that would make you blush. Prostitutes, burner phones, recruit parties orchestrated by female "student recruiters" that Freeze turned a blind eye to. If you want to know more, read the book, Flim Flam by Steve Robertson. You will get an inside look at how Hugh Freeze ran Ole Miss before he was run off. There's even some pretty strong stories about his time here at Briarcrest high school that have made the rounds for years (and I hope are not true). Point being, I love Liberty, I want my kids to attend Liberty, I'm a Flames Club member and I want to win too. But I'm vested first in the school because of their mission of preparing students not winning bowl games. I can't say it enough, I want Liberty to win big, but there's other good coaches that would not bring embarrassment to the school throughout the SEC market.

Thanks for letting me vent, I hope to stay tuned and contribute some when I can.
libertydawg wrote:
Equinox wrote:So we asked the question: is Hugh actually a legitimate candidate? The response we received from a source connected to Liberty is that the school has already advanced the discussions. A source tells FootballScoop Hugh Freeze is indeed a strong candidate at Liberty.

I joined the board today just to say how bad this would make Liberty look. I have unique insight into this because I am not only a Liberty alum but I've also grown up with season tickets to Mississippi State (and attended there as well). I can tell you Coach Freeze's reputation here in the Memphis area is extremely tarnished and would bring that on Liberty as a whole. As an avid Mississippi State fan still, I can tell you stories about Coach Freeze's time at Ole Miss that would make you blush. Prostitutes, burner phones, recruit parties orchestrated by female "student recruiters" that Freeze turned a blind eye to. If you want to know more, read the book, Flim Flam by Steve Robertson. You will get an inside look at how Hugh Freeze ran Ole Miss before he was run off. There's even some pretty strong stories about his time here at Briarcrest high school that have made the rounds for years (and I hope are not true). Point being, I love Liberty, I want my kids to attend Liberty, I'm a Flames Club member and I want to win too. But I'm vested first in the school because of their mission of preparing students not winning bowl games. I can't say it enough, I want Liberty to win big, but there's other good coaches that would not bring embarrassment to the school throughout the SEC market.

Thanks for letting me vent, I hope to stay tuned and contribute some when I can.
And I have heard people say Nick Saban isn't a good coach.
ballcoach15 wrote:
libertydawg wrote:

Dude, you've got to be kidding me. I have never heard any on this board or anywhere else say that. We get it. You like the SEC, its the best. Get on with it.
LOL, interesting people you talk to. Trust me, I can't stand Saban but it's not because he brings in prostitutes for his recruits like Freeze did it's because there's no way to compete for the SEC west as long as he's at BAMA.
Purple Haize wrote:Aren’t Ole Miss and Mississippi St rivals
State and Ole Miss hate each other. I don't deny that. But this has nothing to do with my disdain for Ole Miss. I'd fight against Art Bryles just as hard but I don't think he's a serious candidate. Case in point, I'd be ecstatic with David Cutcliffe (former Ole Miss coach now at Duke). He's a good coach that does things the right way. My intentions are strictly meant to protect the reputation of Liberty so we can move forward with our mission intact.

I'm a Liberty grad, a Flames Club member and I have good friends with very close ties to Liberty (including some that played football for LU).
Ole Miss alum checking in here. Howdy, dawg. Hotty Toddy!
Went back and watched his press conference yesterday. Wow, that moment will probably be my lasting impression of Gill. I wish he would have showed that side more publically but i guess it just wasnt him to do that.
jinxy wrote:Went back and watched his press conference yesterday. Wow, that moment will probably be my lasting impression of Gill. I wish he would have showed that side more publically but i guess it just wasnt him to do that.
I thought the same thing.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
jinxy wrote:Went back and watched his press conference yesterday. Wow, that moment will probably be my lasting impression of Gill. I wish he would have showed that side more publically but i guess it just wasnt him to do that.
I thought the same thing.
I'm not sure how important it is. Remember he is a protege of Tom Osborne and in the mold of Bud Wilkinson. They weren't in coaching to make public displays or "entertain", as a poster mentioned before. Gill is Gill, you can criticize his coaching strategy or tactics but a lot of posters have been very petty in the criticism of his style of relating and communicating. "To God be the glory in his Son Jesus Christ" He's the guy I would want to be coaching my son.

This is similar to GHW Bush. Now that he's gone everyone has something nice to say about him.
Just watched the press conference with TG and the players. I have to say that I choked up a little bit when Gill talked about not wanting to disappoint or let down some of his players who have grown up fatherless. It really was touching. That's what sports is all about. I love that he has that perspective. I also loved when Dontae Duff said the thing he is looking for most in a new coach is a Christ like role model. Life is more than football he says. Loved it.
I’m just imagining if he and Ed Gomes stick around the Program as Spiritual mentors That would be pretty powerful. Awkward as well for awhile but man what a huge recruiting advantage IMO
Purple Haize wrote:I’m just imagining if he and Ed Gomes stick around the Program as Spiritual mentors That would be pretty powerful. Awkward as well for awhile but man what a huge recruiting advantage IMO
I've wondered if Gill might be a better fit for a department wide Athletics Chaplain type of position. Would probably need to pull him away from football only for a few years (plus Doctuh Gomes has that spot locked down) but Gill would be great in the role.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]