Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By rtb72
For as much as I disagreed with TG as a coach, no one could demonstrate the character of a better man. I think him leaving for his family solidifies that very point. I'm glad he was able to retire and hope his wife is able to be blessed with recovery and good health. For me, my emotions are mixed. I'm glad we are moving forward...but am saddened his family and wife are having to go through health problems. I pray he finds peace at whatever his future holds; he deserves that.
Jonathan Carone wrote:We absolutely dominated the Big South in 07 and 08 before we had a playoff bid.

Our overall records weren’t great, and we lost games we shouldn’t, but we also had our highest highs as a program under Gill. They are what made his supporters so dedicated to wanting to keep him. The two coaches came in at different points in the program though so it’s tough to compare them.
You're very bias when it comes to Danny Rocco...

This isn't a shot at him but we have never dominated the Big South...it takes more then 1...maybe 2 seasons to claim you can claim you dominated anything.

DR laid a great foundation though. No doubt about it.
Just to throw out some info on the retirement or firing or extensions or whatever... I came accross last year of being 100% certain Gill was getting fired. I never said specifically why because I didnt want to burn my source or do any damage to the head coach, but neither of those exist anymore. I was told that the AD sought permission last year from the board of trustees to fire Gill and it was granted. But as we saw, he never did it.

A 6-6 season after that doesn't get you an extension.
LUconn wrote:Just to throw out some info on the retirement or firing or extensions or whatever... I came accross last year of being 100% certain Gill was getting fired. I never said specifically why because I didnt want to burn my source or do any damage to the head coach, but neither of those exist anymore. I was told that the AD sought permission last year from the board of trustees to fire Gill and it was granted. But as we saw, he never did it.

Here’s my question: why seek permission if you’re not going to pull the trigger? Unless Someone stepped in
By rtb72
Purple Haize wrote:
LUconn wrote:Just to throw out some info on the retirement or firing or extensions or whatever... I came accross last year of being 100% certain Gill was getting fired. I never said specifically why because I didnt want to burn my source or do any damage to the head coach, but neither of those exist anymore. I was told that the AD sought permission last year from the board of trustees to fire Gill and it was granted. But as we saw, he never did it.

Here’s my question: why seek permission if you’re not going to pull the trigger? Unless Someone stepped in
Board of Trustees < JFJR
Class of 20Something wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:The Cowboys played on Thursday so they were off this weekend. I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that part of your theory.
It may be nothing, but they were taking time to take pictures. I think it's just a relevant piece of the puzzle and can help us understand the days leading up to a shocking retirement announcement.

She was at both of the last two games. We sit very near the family and a couple other coaches wives..

Many games it felt like you you could cut the tension with a knife near those seats. I think the program needed a new direction but it was hard not to feel bad for his family when the team wasn't doing well. It's a true honor for a dad to see these words from a daughter. Good for them!
A Sea of Red wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:Trying to find out who may have a live stream I can follow from Pennsylvania.
Any informatio9n or are we not big enough for that yet?
We will stream it on Facebook Live. Like A Sea of Red there.

Awesome! ASOR bangin.
Now I need to create a FB account.
thepostman wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:We absolutely dominated the Big South in 07 and 08 before we had a playoff bid.

Our overall records weren’t great, and we lost games we shouldn’t, but we also had our highest highs as a program under Gill. They are what made his supporters so dedicated to wanting to keep him. The two coaches came in at different points in the program though so it’s tough to compare them.

This isn't a shot at him but we have never dominated the Big South...it takes more then 1...maybe 2 seasons to claim you can claim you dominated anything.

I know this is off subject, but I just wanted to refute the idea that us dominating 07-08 was because of my bias.

In 07, our average score of a Big South game was 48-16 and we went undefeated in the league.

In 08, even with dropping the PC debacle, the average score was 36-18.

I don’t think there’s any way to say that’s not dominating the league over that two year span.
Gills departure is NOT a good thing for our 2019 season. With Gill onboard we would have gotten bowl eligible. That momentum is gone now. As far as a replacement goes this quote gives me confidence in IM and JR's wisdom ..... "Falwell said Gill was set to receive a multi-year contract extension after leading the Flames to a 6-6 record this season. Gill was entering the final year of a five-year contract extension he signed after the 2014 campaign. “This year proved that he was meant to be an FBS coach,” Falwell said. “Some coaches excel at the lower level at FCS and others excel at the FBS level. If he stayed, he would have continued to be a great coach.”

So now all we can do is wait. If they want Streeter we'll be waiting several weeks.
TH Spangler wrote:Gills departure is NOT a good thing for our 2019 season. With Gill onboard we would have gotten bowl eligible. That momentum is gone now. As far as a replacement goes this quote gives me confidence in IM and JR's wisdom ..... "Falwell said Gill was set to receive a multi-year contract extension after leading the Flames to a 6-6 record this season. Gill was entering the final year of a five-year contract extension he signed after the 2014 campaign. “This year proved that he was meant to be an FBS coach,” Falwell said. “Some coaches excel at the lower level at FCS and others excel at the FBS level. If he stayed, he would have continued to be a great coach.”

So now all we can do is wait. If they want Streeter we'll be waiting several weeks.
Not necessarily. Coaches get new jobs and stay thru Bowls all the time
Jonathan Carone wrote:
thepostman wrote:

I know this is off subject, but I just wanted to refute the idea that us dominating 07-08 was because of my bias.

In 07, our average score of a Big South game was 48-16 and we went undefeated in the league.

In 08, even with dropping the PC debacle, the average score was 36-18.

I don’t think there’s any way to say that’s not dominating the league over that two year span.
Again, it takes more than 1 or 2 years to consider you are dominating a conference which is what I said in my post. That is just my opinion.
Kind of sad to see Coach Gill go even though he had mediocre results. Now I do feel better about the program this year vs last year at this time. Improvements were made as we stepped into FBS. Any chance of getting Danny Rocco back? He seems to be making progress at U of Delaware and I am sure he could do the same for us at a higher level.
Jonathan Carone wrote:He said he had the "best coaching staff in the country" and there was some emphasis behind it. Almost like he was making a point with it.

Then he advocated for someone on staff to be the next head coach.
Oh gosh no...please tell me that they are not going to select someone already here as the head coach :?

Tomorrow's game is winner take all.

Prayers please

Best of luck to you! Life gonna change 👍🏼

NCAA Realignment Megathread

The push for a G5 playoff may be bigger th[…]

2024 Season Thread

I wish. DBU is a bit of a haul even from my locati[…]