Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Maybe I'm naive, but Jerry sure didn't sound like someone who just fired his coach. He didn't have to say all the stuff he said if it was a "retire or be fired" situation. From Damien's article:

“Turner and I had a long talk this morning and he’s ready to retire from coaching,” Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. said in a phone interview. “His wife needs his support with some health issues and he wants to be there for her. He said he’s retiring from coaching.”

Falwell said Gill was set to receive a multi-year contract extension after leading the Flames to a 6-6 record this season. Gill was entering the final year of a five-year contract extension he signed after the 2014 campaign.

“This year proved that he was meant to be an FBS coach,” Falwell said. “Some coaches excel at the lower level at FCS and others excel at the FBS level. If he stayed, he would have continued to be a great coach.”

Liberty became the ninth team since 1987 to win at least six games in its inaugural FBS season.

“This year, nobody expected we’d win six games at the FBS level, very few teams do that,” Falwell said, “and we were excited Turner made that happen.”

https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libe ... b04f8.html
rmiller1959 wrote:Maybe I'm naive, but Jerry sure didn't sound like someone who just fired his coach. He didn't have to say all the stuff he said if it was a "retire or be fired" situation. From Damien's article:

“Turner and I had a long talk this morning and he’s ready to retire from coaching,” Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. said in a phone interview. “His wife needs his support with some health issues and he wants to be there for her. He said he’s retiring from coaching.”

Falwell said Gill was set to receive a multi-year contract extension after leading the Flames to a 6-6 record this season. Gill was entering the final year of a five-year contract extension he signed after the 2014 campaign.

“This year proved that he was meant to be an FBS coach,” Falwell said. “Some coaches excel at the lower level at FCS and others excel at the FBS level. If he stayed, he would have continued to be a great coach.”

Liberty became the ninth team since 1987 to win at least six games in its inaugural FBS season.

“This year, nobody expected we’d win six games at the FBS level, very few teams do that,” Falwell said, “and we were excited Turner made that happen.”

https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libe ... b04f8.html
Not naive. I do not think there is a big flat-earth ruse around the globe on this one. The possibility is always there but with all floating I buy the front story.
I got what I wished for so I hope this plays out well.
The part that makes me question whether it was a retirement or not is that he reportedly didn’t tell his coaches. That feels out of character for a man so loyal to his assistants.

I know the health story is true though so regardless of forced or not forced, the Gill family still deserves our support off the field.
Jonathan Carone wrote:The part that makes me question whether it was a retirement or not is that he reportedly didn’t tell his coaches. That feels out of character for a man so loyal to his assistants.

I know the health story is true though so regardless of forced or not forced, the Gill family still deserves our support off the field.
+1
badger74 wrote:Going to be painful for recruiting. Will be hard to get new hire in short time. Look to top FCS coaches. Not usually a fan of hiring an Assistant. Running show is much harder.
I disagree. They already had the recruits they need. This happens all the time. Better now then later
Which is why the retirement angle is the best possible outcome for Liberty. I think that Gill told Ian and Jerry that is he was thinking about it to help them find someone else a little quicker but maybe I am wrong. We won't ever know...

It is odd that he didn't tell his coaching staff. I am sure they know most of them won't be around next year.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I'm still a lost for words. I do hope his wife is doing well and that he will have more time with her and family but still be an ambassador as someone else stated. As for the new coach, I'm not sure who would really come to the mountain. Clearly some folks on here do not want someone like Hugh Freeze primarily because of what occurred a year ago (I guess the giving a second chance was just small talk). So, who else is available that can continue building this program to a prestigious team? Anyone have a list of available coaches?

*Edit: On CSNBBS Liberty Flames page, I did state that Gill will retire on Monday as a plot twist. Ewglenn can confirm this!!*
I can vouch for him, he called it.
I could see a scenario where they planned to offer extension, but brought up a demand to get a new DC and he pushed back and resigned/ “retired”. - that would explain not telling staff prior...doubt we ever know.
My first reaction is that Coach Gill is a man of integrity. I believe when he says he feels it is time to step away he is sincere. He has given us no reason to believe otherwise in his time on the mountain.

I just want to say thanks to him for his years of service and the dignity with which he carried himself.
Sly Fox wrote:The Cowboys played on Thursday so they were off this weekend. I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that part of your theory.
It may be nothing, but they were taking time to take pictures. I think it's just a relevant piece of the puzzle and can help us understand the days leading up to a shocking retirement announcement.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
How bad is the heart condition? If it was really bad and he knew his days were numbered it makes a lot more sense.

However, i do think he advanced the program. Some folks dont think he did but to me it was a tale of firsts, highs and lows. At the end of the day i think he did a lot of good things for the program. I find it much like rocco to gill and jb to mccaw.

Maybe flameshaw was right about him sticking around all along. Jeff alder is.
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think anyone who says he didn’t advance the program is being disingenuous and spiteful. For all my on the field issues, I think it’s obvious we are in a better place now than when he got here.
Not saying Gill didn’t make some progress, but didn’t Rocco dominated the big south during his tenure? We never “dominated” the big south during Gill, but I can still give credit where credit is due.
We absolutely dominated the Big South in 07 and 08 before we had a playoff bid.

Our overall records weren’t great, and we lost games we shouldn’t, but we also had our highest highs as a program under Gill. They are what made his supporters so dedicated to wanting to keep him. The two coaches came in at different points in the program though so it’s tough to compare them.
Class of 20Something wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:The Cowboys played on Thursday so they were off this weekend. I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that part of your theory.
It may be nothing, but they were taking time to take pictures. I think it's just a relevant piece of the puzzle and can help us understand the days leading up to a shocking retirement announcement.

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 7 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]