Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

At 6-6 with two wins over FCS teams, you may still be selected if no other 6-6 teams are available. This is if you can convince the selection committees that you are an FCS reclassifying team deserving of a bowl. I'm following 2-9 Tulsa leading 5-6 SMU at home right now. If Tulsa wins, SMU is unexpectedly eliminated from bowl contention. You are helped even more if Charlotte upsets FAU (5-6) and hands the Fightin' Kiffins their seventh loss. I do not believe there will be enough 6-win teams to fill the bowl line-up especially if Marshall upsets Virginia Tech next Saturday. I think you guys have a shot.
G5Fan in SLC wrote:At 6-6 with two wins over FCS teams, you may still be selected if no other 6-6 teams are available. This is if you can convince the selection committees that you are an FCS reclassifying team deserving of a bowl. I'm following 2-9 Tulsa leading 5-6 SMU at home right now. If Tulsa wins, SMU is unexpectedly eliminated from bowl contention. You are helped even more if Charlotte upsets FAU (5-6) and hands the Fightin' Kiffins their seventh loss. I do not believe there will be enough 6-win teams to fill the bowl line-up especially if Marshall upsets Virginia Tech next Saturday. I think you guys have a shot.
The Bylaw says that reclassifying teams can fill empty spots if they have 6 qualifying wins, which we cannot obtain. For Liberty to get in a bowl the NCAA would want to actively avoid any 5-7 teams and say that our record is qualifying(even though by most definitions it has not) but the bylaws are not in Liberty's corner.
tyndal23 wrote:Wonder if Ian will be getting any last minute calls from teams like AZ to buyout Norfolk St so they can bowl. Not many options but LU for that scenario...
OR are their any teams out there left like VT was who haven’t played 12 games ( I forgot about that little detail - only works if u haven’t played 12 yet )
BuryYourDuke wrote:No, we can’t. First of all, we don’t qualify by NCAA rules.

Second, at this moment there are already more bowl eligible teams than bowl slots. There will be several more by the end of the evening, and likely a couple more after next weekend. A solid handful of eligible teams will not be going bowling this season.

Liberty could have gone 12-0. We weren’t going bowling.
Not altogether so. I will give you that Liberty may not qualify by current bylaws, but there are 42 bowl games (2 of which are the PLAYOFF Semifinal bowls). That means 84 teams must have six or more wins and right now only
81 teams are eligible by those statutes, and ONLY Virginia Tech is left that can become eligible by beating Marshall next Saturday. At most there can be 82 eligible teams.

You may be right. Maybe the NCAA will take the 2 or 3 highest APR schools with 5-7 records over Liberty.
I read this morning that Army (and BYU) don't have a bowl game locked in, yet. Army is ranked and has won 9 games, and probably will win 10.
There are more teams bowl eligible now than there is bowl slots. There are too many bowl tie=ins with conferences., which I have never liked. They should let bowls pick who they want. Army is more deserving of a bowl than probably 75% of bowl eligible teams.
ballcoach15 wrote:I read this morning that Army (and BYU) don't have a bowl game locked in, yet. Army is ranked and has won 9 games, and probably will win 10.
There are more teams bowl eligible now than there is bowl slots. There are too many bowl tie=ins with conferences., which I have never liked. They should let bowls pick who they want. Army is more deserving of a bowl than probably 75% of bowl eligible teams.
Good point. The tie-ins make no sense at least in terms of fairness, but that's par for the course for FBS football (limited playoffs, limited opportunities for G5 teams, little post-realignment geographical sense for conferences...) Perennial G5 bowl qualifiers are stuck going to the same site year after year.
Anybody.

Maybe Rashad is being interviewed for a position now. May be a dream to lure in some NFL coaching staff to Liberty.
I do woder out loud if it would be more beneficial for us to bring in from the leauge above us.
Recruit with the I had success in the NFL and have connections that matter.
Find a guy 40ish who is settled in his faith and wants a long term home.
It will be tough to build a strong program with us being indy and the level of talent that is primarily on our schedule.
I digress, we could use a push for a conference.
Having a coach with strong NFL ties may help lure in that talent.
Ahhhhh, the Kool Aid is delicious this morning!
CCWMichael wrote:Anybody.

Maybe Rashad is being interviewed for a position now. May be a dream to lure in some NFL coaching staff to Liberty.
I do woder out loud if it would be more beneficial for us to bring in from the leauge above us.
It will be tough to build a strong program with us being indy and the level of talent that is primarily on our schedule.
Curious cause I’m too lazy to look. NFL guys successful in college? I always thought Herm Edwards would be good and he had an up and down first year
Who else?
Purple Haize wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:Anybody.

Curious cause I’m too lazy to look. NFL guys successful in college? I always thought Herm Edwards would be good and he had an up and down first year
Who else?
Huh! Not sure how this made it in this thread. I was sure I was replying in our next head coach thread.
I'll move this later today and give and more thoughtful repl :)
lawrenceq wrote:What bowl we get?
Reminds me of a joke that floated a few years ago.
This will be funnt to those who recall the Donovan McNabb soup commercials.
It went like this: Why does Donovan McNabb eat soup from a can?
Every time he gets near a bowl he chokes!
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]