Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Didlibertywin
I didn't expect us to win. It's Auburn. I didn't expect it to be that ugly, but it is what it is.

I haven't really been on the Fire Gill train until Saturday. What gave me a seat firmly on the Fire Gill train was the mismanagement of the game. We were never competitive, at all. We blew all three timeouts in the first quarter. We kept on running the same plays and getting the same results, despite the talent gaps and the physical advantage they had on us. Seemed like they always knew what was coming before it happened. The fact that we should have beat New Mexico State and UMass goes back to the mismanagement factor.

The one positive, I think, is that it seems like Gill and staff are great recruiters, and that fact alone has given us some wins that maybe we wouldn't otherwise because of the management and play calling of the game.
By Dalegarz1
Four years ago, I was told by an administrator in the athletic department that TG was a good recruiter but lacked administrative skills that a head coach needed. I believe this shortcoming surfaces when it comes to game management. More than that, it directly correlates to the "looseness" of our program. By that I am referring to a void when it comes to attention to detail. This manifests itself in the way we warm up before a game as well as being ready for the next play on both sides of the ball. We need a strong commander who runs a tight ship when it comes to these items. Look at the programs that do this. The service academies are excellent examples of competing a high level with talent that is 2 and 3 star. They are so organized and prepared! First and foremost we need LEADERSHIP! A strong leader who surrounds himself with assistants who are excellent x's and o's people gives us a recipe for success moving forward.
By Class of 20Something
Dalegarz1 wrote:Four years ago, I was told by an administrator in the athletic department that TG was a good recruiter but lacked administrative skills that a head coach needed. I believe this shortcoming surfaces when it comes to game management. More than that, it directly correlates to the "looseness" of our program. By that I am referring to a void when it comes to attention to detail. This manifests itself in the way we warm up before a game as well as being ready for the next play on both sides of the ball. We need a strong commander who runs a tight ship when it comes to these items. Look at the programs that do this. The service academies are excellent examples of competing a high level with talent that is 2 and 3 star. They are so organized and prepared! First and foremost we need LEADERSHIP! A strong leader who surrounds himself with assistants who are excellent x's and o's people gives us a recipe for success moving forward.
I saw a video of Scott Frost running exercises in the snow shirtless doing snow angels. It was structured like military PT. It was so obvious that even the "goofing off" was incredibly structured. I would be interested to sit in on practices at Alabama and see how that show is run.
By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote:
Dalegarz1 wrote:Four years ago, I was told by an administrator in the athletic department that TG was a good recruiter but lacked administrative skills that a head coach needed. I believe this shortcoming surfaces when it comes to game management. More than that, it directly correlates to the "looseness" of our program. By that I am referring to a void when it comes to attention to detail. This manifests itself in the way we warm up before a game as well as being ready for the next play on both sides of the ball. We need a strong commander who runs a tight ship when it comes to these items. Look at the programs that do this. The service academies are excellent examples of competing a high level with talent that is 2 and 3 star. They are so organized and prepared! First and foremost we need LEADERSHIP! A strong leader who surrounds himself with assistants who are excellent x's and o's people gives us a recipe for success moving forward.
I saw a video of Scott Frost running exercises in the snow shirtless doing snow angels. It was structured like military PT. It was so obvious that even the "goofing off" was incredibly structured. I would be interested to sit in on practices at Alabama and see how that show is run.
Would love to have a head coach and staff like this;oh how LU would be better on and even off the field.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
Maybe we should ask Gill to run with his shirt off in the snow and act like Nick Saban from now on.
By CCWMichael
lawrenceq wrote:Maybe we should ask Gill to run with his shirt off in the snow and act like Nick Saban from now on.
I just retasted my dinner .....
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
I've seen a few games this year where Frost's mismanagement had led to them losing- the Colorado and the Northwestern come to memory. It happens to all coaches
By LibertyD
WOW! I know this is the "Kill Gill" feed but let's get real. You didn't actually expect an FCS transition team to beat a marginal SEC team like Auburn (3-6 in conference, 6-3 overall), with ALL FCS players??? Bill Parsells could not have done any better! Come on, these guys were not even ranked high in the FCS past few seasons. Finishing 6-6 or 5-7 would be a monumental accomplishment. Better than most FCS transition teams and numerous existing FBS teams. I get it that the mission is to get rid of Gill! But if you don't recruit better players, the next coach(s) will have the same results.

Unfortunately, if Gill leaves at the end of the season, you might as well transition this team back down to FCS because the better players (especially those who are sitting out due to transfer rules) will most likely take the opportunity to leave. This will set the FBS transtion plans back 2-3 years! I hate to say it but as bad as things may seem to some, the program is better off by not losing it's head coach over the next couple of years. At least until we get to a Bowl game. The truth sometimes have a way of hurting!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LibertyD wrote:WOW! I know this is the "Kill Gill" feed but let's get real. You didn't actually expect an FCS transition team to beat a marginal SEC team like Auburn (3-6 in conference, 6-3 overall), with ALL FCS players??? Bill Parsells could not have done any better! Come on, these guys were not even ranked high in the FCS past few seasons. Finishing 6-6 or 5-7 would be a monumental accomplishment. Better than most FCS transition teams and numerous existing FBS teams. I get it that the mission is to get rid of Gill! But if you don't recruit better players, the next coach(s) will have the same results.

Unfortunately, if Gill leaves at the end of the season, you might as well transition this team back down to FCS because the better players (especially those who are sitting out due to transfer rules) will most likely take the opportunity to leave. This will set the FBS transtion plans back 2-3 years! I hate to say it but as bad as things may seem to some, the program is better off by not losing it's head coach over the next couple of years. At least until we get to a Bowl game. The truth sometimes have a way of hurting!
If they are sitting out because of transferring they are not going to go somewhere else and sit out another year
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Does anyone know how many players we are signing on early signing day ?
All of them
By Jonathan Carone
You can’t make a long term coaching decision worrying about what the current players will do. Any time there is a coaching change there are a few things that always happens:

1) Players leave
2) Players want to leave but can’t
3) New players follow the new coach

Every new coach will tell you his first job is to recruit the current players and make them buy in. It happens at every job in every sport.

Somewhat related example of #3: If Wimbo had never left to go to Buffalo, Khalil Mack would’ve played for Liberty.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Totally forgot about this.

"He was very consistent to stay in contact with," Wimberly said. "He said he'd call you Sunday and he would. You were able to pick up on that work ethic. He carried that even in high school."

All of that made Wimberly more nervous. Was Mack really going to Liberty?

The answer was no, and not because of Mack. It was because of Wimberly.

The assistant got a job at the University of Buffalo under head coach Turner Gill, and he immediately told his new boss about the kid from Fort Pierce. Then he stood out of the way, trying not to meddle or force Mack's hand.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-did-s ... 3-nfl.html
By rtb72
Purple Haize wrote:
LibertyD wrote:WOW! I know this is the "Kill Gill" feed but let's get real. You didn't actually expect an FCS transition team to beat a marginal SEC team like Auburn (3-6 in conference, 6-3 overall), with ALL FCS players??? Bill Parsells could not have done any better! Come on, these guys were not even ranked high in the FCS past few seasons. Finishing 6-6 or 5-7 would be a monumental accomplishment. Better than most FCS transition teams and numerous existing FBS teams. I get it that the mission is to get rid of Gill! But if you don't recruit better players, the next coach(s) will have the same results.

If they are sitting out because of transferring they are not going to go somewhere else and sit out another year
I don't think it was so much that anyone expected us to beat Auburn, but it was how we lost. Did we ever even get past the 50 into their territory? We only squeaked out 100 yards b/c they laid off in the 4th. We were lucky to get that. I also don't think you can say we have ALL FCS talent, but yes...they certainly have more. As for TG...I think it's a stretch to say keep him till we reach a bowl, because I don't believe we'll reach one under his leadership, and even IF we did they wouldn't seperate a coach after such an achievement. And, whether we lose players because of a coaching change or just morale...we've lost them all the same. IF, he has lost the locker room as has been suggested...his leaving will not be pejorative. The players are not being developed and game planning capacity is not evolving. We can keep TG for 20 years if you want...but you can't discount the trends and implications that exist. I think you made some points related to this very matter in your reference to our FCS performance the past few years. He is not going to change and miraculously become a better coach, and our schedules are not going to get any easier....so you either fix it now while you are young to FBS and trying to build....or you keep him, stifle growth, and affect the brand's ability to recruit at the FBS level. I would say if we don't get rid of Gill....then we should transition back down to FCS. At least we know we'll have 6-5 seasons.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

I don't think it was so much that anyone expected us to beat Auburn, but it was how we lost. Did we ever even get past the 50 into their territory? We only squeaked out 100 yards b/c they laid off in the 4th. We were lucky to get that. I also don't think you can say we have ALL FCS talent, but yes...they certainly have more. As for TG...I think it's a stretch to say keep him till we reach a bowl, because I don't believe we'll reach one under his leadership, and even IF we did they wouldn't seperate a coach after such an achievement. And, whether we lose players because of a coaching change or just morale...we've lost them all the same. IF, he has lost the locker room as has been suggested...his leaving will not be pejorative. The players are not being developed and game planning capacity is not evolving. We can keep TG for 20 years if you want...but you can't discount the trends and implications that exist. I think you made some points related to this very matter in your reference to our FCS performance the past few years. He is not going to change and miraculously become a better coach, and our schedules are not going to get any easier....so you either fix it now while you are young to FBS and trying to build....or you keep him, stifle growth, and affect the brand's ability to recruit at the FBS level. I would say if we don't get rid of Gill....then we should transition back down to FCS. At least we know we'll have 6-5 seasons.
You made a lot of great points.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Yes, but now with KSU passing our program, we would never even get into the FCS playoffs. They run the option ................................. nothing more to say about the chances of beating them. 8) 8)
By Neo
Dr. Falwell also said we should burn the school to the ground if it...ah whatever.
By rtb72
ballcoach15 wrote:We should never go back to FCS. NEVER

Dr. Falwell said to never quit.
Ballcoach, my suggestion was a discourse regarding the post I replied to. I don't want to go back to FCS. But, my point was, if we keep the present coaching staff.....we may as well. Mediocrity is more expensive and difficult at FBS level, I believe, than it would be at FCS level.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We should never go back to FCS. NEVER

Dr. Falwell said to never quit.
I believe that was Churchill and he even provided caveats
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple, they both said it. Of course, we know who said it first, but I'm sure that Ballcoach heard Dr. Falwell say it in person several times, as have I.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Purple, they both said it. Of course, we know who said it first, but I'm sure that Ballcoach heard Dr. Falwell say it in person several times, as have I.
I’ve heard lots of people say it
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Neo wrote:Dr. Falwell also said we should burn the school to the ground if it...ah whatever.
The school has not gone liberal and even though many of us do not necessarily agree with some of the decisions made in the last ten years or so, the school is still true to its mission so no pitchforks, gas cans and high explosives
FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

If Cleveland isn't in gym everyday working on addi[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]