Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:I appreciate this team, especially the players. They probably inherited the toughest task the program will ever face. These guys are a mix of FCS, FBS tallent and have been ask to line up against 2 P5's and several 2017 FBS bowl teams. These guys are busting their rear ends every week to get program over the hump. They've given us hope, maybe a little to much. Where ever this program goes in the future, the guys on the field this year will always get credit for laying the foundation. I'll be in the stands next week to say thank you.... GO FLAMES!
I’m not sure they busted their rear ends this week
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:I appreciate this team, especially the players. They probably inherited the toughest task the program will ever face. These guys are a mix of FCS, FBS tallent and have been ask to line up against 2 P5's and several 2017 FBS bowl teams. These guys are busting their rear ends every week to get program over the hump. They've given us hope, maybe a little to much. Where ever this program goes in the future, the guys on the field this year will always get credit for laying the foundation. I'll be in the stands next week to say thank you.... GO FLAMES!
Oh yes, there were some busted butts after this one :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Oh yes, there were some busted butts after this one :lol:
Well played
By rtb72
Purple Haize wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
The players certainly didn’t look it. None of them played with an extra level of hype or enthusiasm. None played like they had something to prove. Not saying anything on the coaching side but can you point to one player and say THAT guy came to play? Calvert? AGG? Anyone?
That’s on the coaches for not having their guys ready to go.
Yes and no. Coaches have to have a game plan. But players have to have desire and energy. Regardless of how bad a game plan may or may not be a players efort and energy is 100% on them. Especially on a stage like that a player should be super hyped.
Motivation, inspiration, and enthusiasm is a signature of effective leadership. This is more on Gill than anyone if that's the case. I would be VERY curious to know what the morale of the team is? I'd be curious to know what Buckshot's confidence level is now versus last year and the year before? What part of that is coaching? Development?

The trend continues....
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:
TH Spangler wrote: Alabama might be the best team in country 9 out of 10 weeks
Let’s just call it 41 out of the last 45..or 80 out of the last 159. Alabama has been #1 more weeks than all other schools combined since 2009.
Didn't make my thought clear. All I'm saying is this year they appeared to be unbeatable, in a class by themselves. This week I saw a crack and you know how ravelry games go.
By LUDad
I'm holding off till after the Auburn Bama game before making any rash comments. Comparing UMass vs. Georgia against LUV vs. Auburm results is disappointing. However, perhaps we caught Auburn at the wrong time and they have simply found themselves. Their performance against Bama may give us some answers.
By Jonathan Carone
Getting beat didn’t surprise me. Getting blown out didn’t embarrass me. What upsets me is that we looked totally unprepared. Our quarterback looks worse than he did as a true freshman. Our playcalling was completely vanilla and looked like we either weren’t trying or didn’t know what to do.

While it’s true our personnel doesn’t match up to Auburn, it doesn’t do us any good for our coaching staff to repeat that over and over. That disappoints me.
By LU 57
LUDad wrote:I'm holding off till after the Auburn Bama game before making any rash comments. Comparing UMass vs. Georgia against LUV vs. Auburm results is disappointing. However, perhaps we caught Auburn at the wrong time and they have simply found themselves. Their performance against Bama may give us some answers.
Yesterday was very disappointing, particularly looking at what UMASS was able to do vs. UGA and what Citadel did vs. Alabama.

It was clear that we were outclassed athletically but it seems like we should have put up a better fight. Not sure where to lay blame or if it even makes sense to do so, but this was clearly a setback. The truth is it was probably a combination of fatigue, poor preparation, and talent disparity.

In any case, I hope the team can put it behind them and end the season with a couple of wins. If they fold it will kill momentum and severely hamper recruiting efforts.

I realize 4-6 wins is more than most expected, but expectations were ratcheted way up with the season opening win. It is very important to finish on a high note.
Last edited by LU 57 on November 18th, 2018, 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote:Yesterday was very disappointing, particularly looking at what UMASS was able to do vs. UGA and what Citadel did vs. Alabama.
Isabella had 15 rec for 219 yards 2 tds. Can't wait to see where he lands in the NFL.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:
TH Spangler wrote: Alabama might be the best team in country 9 out of 10 weeks
Let’s just call it 41 out of the last 45..or 80 out of the last 159. Alabama has been #1 more weeks than all other schools combined since 2009.
Didn't make my thought clear. All I'm saying is this year they appeared to be unbeatable, in a class by themselves. This week I saw a crack and you know how ravelry games go.
You keep saying that. Any team that runs a triple option offense will put up yards and some points especially against a team that never sees it. It took Alabama a half to figure out the scheme and blocking and we saw what happen once they did.

Alabama is going to beat the breaks off on Auburn.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Getting beat didn’t surprise me. Getting blown out didn’t embarrass me. What upsets me is that we looked totally unprepared. Our quarterback looks worse than he did as a true freshman. Our playcalling was completely vanilla and looked like we either weren’t trying or didn’t know what to do.

While it’s true our personnel doesn’t match up to Auburn, it doesn’t do us any good for our coaching staff to repeat that over and over. That disappoints me.
This

Rinse and repeat
By BigRed1
jinxy wrote:Good coaching takes the same talent and makes it a 30 pt game instead of 53. Thats been proven for decades. Yet what does gill say postgame. Its all personnel issue again. He should not take any credits for wins since he refuses to take any for losses. Its all personnel.

The national broadcasts this year have chewed up both wimbo and dailey.

I hear you sigmo. Least impressive coach on staff.
I’ve read several posts over time that talks about Gill’s great character. I beg to differ and what you brought out in your post is spot on and backs that up. A man of character wouldn’t continually throw others under the bus. A man of character takes the blame at times when it’s really not his fault. Gill has never consistently show this character. I know that many will disagree with me because I’ve read where many wish Gill to hang around if he is ever relieved of his duties, but I think he needs to be gone.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Getting beat didn’t surprise me. Getting blown out didn’t embarrass me. What upsets me is that we looked totally unprepared. Our quarterback looks worse than he did as a true freshman. Our playcalling was completely vanilla and looked like we either weren’t trying or didn’t know what to do.

+1
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
BigRed1 wrote:
jinxy wrote:Good coaching takes the same talent and makes it a 30 pt game instead of 53. Thats been proven for decades. Yet what does gill say postgame. Its all personnel issue again. He should not take any credits for wins since he refuses to take any for losses. Its all personnel.

The national broadcasts this year have chewed up both wimbo and dailey.

I hear you sigmo. Least impressive coach on staff.
I’ve read several posts over time that talks about Gill’s great character. I beg to differ and what you brought out in your post is spot on and backs that up. A man of character wouldn’t continually throw others under the bus. A man of character takes the blame at times when it’s really not his fault. Gill has never consistently show this character. I know that many will disagree with me because I’ve read where many wish Gill to hang around if he is ever relieved of his duties, but I think he needs to be gone.
I am one that was hoping we would find a place for him after he is fired. However, I am hearing some rumblings that are changing my mind. I hope MB stays and the rest of them can go somewhere else. Anywhere else really. 8)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Next week's game will show us where team is at. Hopefully we come out and hang 50+ points on scoreboard and the defense gets some stops. I believe we came out of Virginia and Auburn games, fairly healthy.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I think dearmon and MB have shown well. Stamn has also done a solid job. Wilkins has shown decent recruiting ability but no idea about coaching.

Its the new coaches call but KD and MB should be considered. They know what it takes to make it here and have shown they can coach and KD has recruited well.
By Pilotguy24
I went to the game yesterday with my dad and although I expected that type of scoreline, I genuinely had a good time being at Auburn and seeing an SEC team play football for the first time. The fans were very welcoming and it was fun telling them where Liberty was and what we are about because almost everyone we met had no idea who we were. Their video board is absolutely HUUUUUGGGEEEE! It's literally the width of the field which is crazy. The biggest one I've ever seen. Although I don't like the SEC, my dad and I both enjoyed seeing a high caliber team play yesterday.

As for Liberty......

early in the second quarter, I casually made a joke to my dad that we could be a witness to history for the lowest total yardage by a Liberty football team. We laughed about it and watched as Auburn continued to dominate on defense. Slowly as the game went by and as the total yardage stopped at 80 for a long time, I didn't think they would even break 100. We left after the third quarter and watched the beginning of the UCF game at Niffer's (great bar restaruant BTW) and thanks to ASOR, my suspicions at the beginning of the game came true. We were a witness to history!

1) It seemed like the offense had two plays: run up the middle or a slant route pass. Nothing changed for 4Q
2) Tackling and pass coverage continue to be an issue
3) My dad mentioned this and I agree: Gill is not the coach to bring us to the level we want to be at. A couple of LU fans below us agreed.

I know we were completely outmatched and outplayed, but it just confirms to me we have a long way to go.

WELCOME TO THE SEC!!!!!! :lol:
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
I think they shot their wad against UVa and made it a game for the most part. Had nothing left for superior Auburn squad. Same for players.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
LU 57 wrote:Yesterday was very disappointing, particularly looking at what UMASS was able to do vs. UGA and what Citadel did vs. Alabama.
Isabella had 15 rec for 219 yards 2 tds. Can't wait to see where he lands in the NFL.
Not to take anything away from his performance yesterday and I agree that he will definitely make an NFL roster, but UGA contained him pretty well in the 1st half. After UGA was up 42-13 at the half is when he did his damage against the 2nd and 3rd stringers in the 2nd half and got majority of his stats.
By CCWMichael
Chippy wrote:Auburn has 4-5 guys on the offensive side and 4-5 guys on the defensive side who will be in the NFL. We still have a predominately FCS squad. Thought we would score some but I see Iowa beat Illinois 63-0. Have to keep things in perspective.
And, Auburn played ALL of their seniors and many alternate players.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:We were too conservative with Auburn.
I really think it's just the talent difference. Buckshot isn't a tight enough, fast enough passer to do what is needed against that defense. The lines were absolutely out classed. I hate on the coaches for not finding ONE thing to exploit, but in all fairness, there wasn't much we could do with the talent gap.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
I'm sure you all know which side of the Fire Gill fence i'm on. But i'm going to surprise you with this post mainly because I think some on my side of the fire gill fence are using this game as more fuel for the argument to let gill go and maybe that is valid but its auburn guys. Georgia State played Alabama in their first season as a program and lost 56-7. That 7 came on a kick return in the second half against bama's 2's and the kid that ran it back is now a slot receiver for the dolphins. you can't put much stock in this game at all. It was the first game we have ever played in front of an SEC crowd. don't tell me VT is comparable because it is not.
full disclosure I didn't watch the game. was too busy having a heart attack against the Wahoos. And I'm sure there were choices made in the game that were head scratchers just like there has been in every game this year. but going all in on gill for this performance is unfair. If you want to point to the games earlier in the year where we had a ton of chances to improve our record then fine. I'm all in on that. but this is a game we should have expected to lose.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
As of now, the games that haunt us are UMass and New Mexico State. Win those 2 and we are probably talking differently. Playing Auburn was just an introduction to SEC.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:As of now, the games that haunt us are UMass and New Mexico State. Win those 2 and we are probably talking differently. Playing Auburn was just an introduction to SEC.
Exactly
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just l[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]