Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By cruzan_flame13
sigmo7 wrote:I have never said LU is a bad team, we play bad at times. I have said I think we could be a better team with new leadership.
We can do WAY better with new coaching leadership.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:I love how quick it is being said that we are a bad football team. If we win our last two games and I still believe we will then our record will be 6-6. Not bad at all for a first year FBS transition team and according to recent transitions our record would be near the top of best first year records. I am very disappointed in the effort and execution today. I thought we would lose by 2 scores and boy was I wrong. I also thought we could run the football against them today and again was I wrong. Auburn played inspired today and hats off to them for their execution.

All this to say, 2 games left to get to .500 for the season which again is not a bad start to an FBS transition. I do want to see us move on from Gill after this season because just being at 6-6 or 7-5 is not where we want to be as a program.
Auburn played vanilla today
But you were spot on saying it is disappointing to see the effort and execution from LU today. Granted the vast talent gap may have something to do with the execution but should have 0 to do with the effort
I think this team has quit. I am not judging by the score. I am judging by the effort, the execution, and the general lack of pride with which we have played the game lately. The O has regressed and I question whether the wear and tear of a full FBS schedule has just caught up with us lately. I do not expect us to win next week. I expect us to fold. I hope I am misreading things. The coaches may well have lost the locker room at this point. We certainly haven't executed any adjustments if they were made,
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:I love how quick it is being said that we are a bad football team. If we win our last two games and I still believe we will then our record will be 6-6. Not bad at all for a first year FBS transition team and according to recent transitions our record would be near the top of best first year records. I am very disappointed in the effort and execution today. I thought we would lose by 2 scores and boy was I wrong. I also thought we could run the football against them today and again was I wrong. Auburn played inspired today and hats off to them for their execution.

All this to say, 2 games left to get to .500 for the season which again is not a bad start to an FBS transition. I do want to see us move on from Gill after this season because just being at 6-6 or 7-5 is not where we want to be as a program.
Auburn played vanilla today
But you were spot on saying it is disappointing to see the effort and execution from LU today. Granted the vast talent gap may have something to do with the execution but should have 0 to do with the effort
I think this team has quit. I am not judging by the score. I am judging by the effort, the execution, and the general lack of pride with which we have played the game lately. The O has regressed and I question whether the wear and tear of a full FBS schedule has just caught up with us lately. I do not expect us to win next week. I expect us to fold. I hope I am misreading things. The coaches may well have lost the locker room at this point. We certainly haven't executed any adjustments if they were made,
I’m not sure you are wrong
By cruzan_flame13
Reminds me of the last game against CSU last season. McCaw should be wishing that he didn’t say Gill was the right choice last year.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Maybe Ballcoach was right (again): the SEC is the strongest football conference in the country! :shock:
Last edited by Cider Jim on November 17th, 2018, 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Maybe Ballcoach was right (again): the SEC is the strongest football conference in the country! :shock:
I wasn’t aware that was even a debate
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Did anybody notice that Coach Wimbo's defense SHUT OUT Auburn in the 4th quarter? Take that, SEC. :football
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Did anybody notice that Coach Wimbo's defense SHUT OUT Auburn in the 4th quarter? Take that, SEC. :football
No. Because no one was watching and I’m fairly certain Auburn was just wanting to get it over with
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Auburn has 4-5 guys on the offensive side and 4-5 guys on the defensive side who will be in the NFL. We still have a predominately FCS squad. Thought we would score some but I see Iowa beat Illinois 63-0. Have to keep things in perspective.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:I’ve said for three years I’m more concerned with how we play under Gill than our record. Even in some of our wins, we have looked like a bad football team.
This right here. I'm not going to add to it because I can't say it better.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
From the Auburn board :lol:

Ive had the opportunity to visit Liberty College a couple of times recently.
A student who was part of a group showing us the campus asked if i had any questions.
Being a Civil War buff i asked her if she had ever been to Appomattox Courthouse,
"No sir, my parents live in Florida, i get my tag there"
Not a History major huh?
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
I was at the game. The Auburn players were just on another level. This is the first time this year that we obviously did not belong on the field. The SEC is on another level that we are not. We will be in 5-10 years, but are you not. Say what you want about coaching, this one was not about X's and O's It was all about jimmy's and joes.
By sigmo7
Registration Days Posts
Nick's HS team got knocked out of the playoffs last night and his season is over so maybe Gill could bring him in to work with the LB's since he has at least played the position at the college level.
By cruzan_flame13
BuryYourDuke wrote:We’ve never faced a defense with the speed and athleticism that was on the field today. The SEC is just a different animal. Anyone who thinks it isn’t doesn’t understand what they are watching.

The sad part to me is watching the team quit. Say what you will of our previous regime, but that NEVER happened.

Anyone else super excited about Tyndal’s P5 schedule?
Not with the head coach and staff we have now :lol:
By tyndal23
Art Briles could take same 11 guys on O and put up 28 points minimum on Auburn. Defense - Michigan DC would need 4 more players to hold them to 28. I really am at a loss at what is going on with Buckshot - I know he is never animated but zero leadership coming out of him - hangs his head isn’t interacting/communicating - there is more to it than the just terrible regression on the basics. I too feel like coaching staff may have lost the locker room. I don’t think they lost each position group all at once or exact same game - but seems every position group has now caught whatever the secondary had ailing them all year. I think Gill is coaching for his life next week.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:https://auburn.247sports.com/LongFormAr ... 4899443_12
This is what I noticed most yesterday.
On different between ACC (Virginia) and SEC (Auburn)…

"Honestly, the physicality. The physical aspect of the game definitely turns up when you get to the SEC. You kind of hear about that when you're growing up and playing football. When you play against it and you split it. One week you have ACC, the next you have SEC. You really see a difference. That's no knock to UVA. They are also very physical but Auburn is very physical at well"
Alabama might be the best team in country 9 out of 10 weeks, but in a rivalry game next week they better bring it. The Citadel made them look vulnerable in the first half.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Art Briles could take same 11 guys on O and put up 28 points minimum on Auburn. Defense - Michigan DC would need 4 more players to hold them to 28. I really am at a loss at what is going on with Buckshot - I know he is never animated but zero leadership coming out of him - hangs his head isn’t interacting/communicating - there is more to it than the just terrible regression on the basics. I too feel like coaching staff may have lost the locker room. I don’t think they lost each position group all at once or exact same game - but seems every position group has now caught whatever the secondary had ailing them all year. I think Gill is coaching for his life next week.
No. No he couldn’t. Calvert was getting about 1to 1.5 seconds to throw. The running game could have gained more yardage running into a brick wall. No receiver got any separation. After a LU ran a couple of slant Auburn shut it down. They could have played Man all night and blitzed every play. The talent disparity is that great. You may be right on defense though.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:https://auburn.247sports.com/LongFormAr ... 4899443_12
This is what I noticed most yesterday.
On different between ACC (Virginia) and SEC (Auburn)…

"Honestly, the physicality. The physical aspect of the game definitely turns up when you get to the SEC. You kind of hear about that when you're growing up and playing football. When you play against it and you split it. One week you have ACC, the next you have SEC. You really see a difference. That's no knock to UVA. They are also very physical but Auburn is very physical at well"
Alabama might be the best team in country 9 out of 10 weeks, but in a rivalry game next week they better bring it. The Citadel made them look vulnerable in the first half.
Yes u know what’s funny. Alabama couldn’t really handle the Triple Option that well. That “high school offense” according to ballcoach but up 17 points and stayed with the best team in the country. A team ballcoach also feels is perfect in every regard :dontgetit
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Good coaching takes the same talent and makes it a 30 pt game instead of 53. Thats been proven for decades. Yet what does gill say postgame. Its all personnel issue again. He should not take any credits for wins since he refuses to take any for losses. Its all personnel.

The national broadcasts this year have chewed up both wimbo and dailey.

I hear you sigmo. Least impressive coach on staff.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:Art Briles could take same 11 guys on O and put up 28 points minimum on Auburn. Defense - Michigan DC would need 4 more players to hold them to 28. I really am at a loss at what is going on with Buckshot - I know he is never animated but zero leadership coming out of him - hangs his head isn’t interacting/communicating - there is more to it than the just terrible regression on the basics. I too feel like coaching staff may have lost the locker room. I don’t think they lost each position group all at once or exact same game - but seems every position group has now caught whatever the secondary had ailing them all year. I think Gill is coaching for his life next week.
No. No he couldn’t. Calvert was getting about 1to 1.5 seconds to throw. The running game could have gained more yardage running into a brick wall. No receiver got any separation. After a LU ran a couple of slant Auburn shut it down. They could have played Man all night and blitzed every play. The talent disparity is that great. You may be right on defense though.
There was no one to throw to all game. The running backs had nowhere to run. Defense played as good as they could vs the speed that was at every position. Glad we are mostly playing ACC schools and not many SEC schools.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I appreciate this team, especially the players. They probably inherited the toughest task the program will ever face. These guys are a mix of FCS, FBS tallent and have been ask to line up against 2 P5's and several 2017 FBS bowl teams. These guys are busting their rear ends every week to get program over the hump. They've given us hope, maybe a little to much. Where ever this program goes in the future, the guys on the field this year will always get credit for laying the foundation. I'll be in the stands next week to say thank you.... GO FLAMES!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Spangler putting a nice perspective on things as usual. Yes, it was bloody awful. But while we seemed surprised by the waxing it seems no one else outside our bubble seems to have changed their opinion of us much as a result. We are transition team facing a middle of the pack SEC squad that had shown enough signs to be Top 10 a month or so ago. Next week is a better barometer of the state of the locker room and the program.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

When you have a chance to pick up a talent like th[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]