Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
“Wouldn’t change anything,” Gill said of the 4th down call. “I’m glad that we went for it, got to be aggressive, got to do things to help our chance for our team to win. That’s what I thought best and I wouldn’t change anything.”

Offensive coordinator Joe Dailey agreed with that assessment. “I thought it was a solid call by Coach Gill for us to go for it. We were all, as a program, fired up and excited to go for it again in our own territory. I wouldn’t change anything about the play, the play call. The gentleman who made a break on the football did a phenomenal job. I thought we had the right play, whether we handed it off or we threw it out there. There was leverage to throw it, and they had 1 more guy in the box than we had to be able to account for and block it up. So, we were good with the decision for him to throw the ball. Talented football players can read and recognize things and make a play, and that’s what he did.”
Pickett was averaging 8 yards per carry.

We needed 18 inches.

But sure, stick to your guns.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
“I absolutely have no second thoughts about going for it. Since we didn’t make it I obviously have second thoughts about the play I called. But that’s what this profession is all about. “
By LibertyD
4th and inches...RUN, RUN, RUN! QB sneak with Pickett pushing from behind. I WONDER WHAT ARMY WOULD HAVE DONE??? Hummm.....
By Class of 20Something
LibertyD wrote:4th and inches...RUN, RUN, RUN! QB sneak with Pickett pushing from behind. I WONDER WHAT ARMY WOULD HAVE DONE??? Hummm.....
That's what I was saying in the stands. Even Buck going off tackle with Pickett running up as an extra blocker.
By CCWMichael
Class of 20Something wrote:
LibertyD wrote:4th and inches...RUN, RUN, RUN! QB sneak with Pickett pushing from behind. I WONDER WHAT ARMY WOULD HAVE DONE??? Hummm.....
That's what I was saying in the stands. Even Buck going off tackle with Pickett running up as an extra blocker.
I could not imagine it any better at Auburn.
Early third quarter down 7.
Buried deep in our own end; lets say 14 yard line.
Punt will most likely put them on their 40.
Maybe give up three or hold.
Naw, let's go for it to show how much we want to win.
I am not with the crowd that feels this was a good call.
But, I am not paid to make those decisions.

I would love to see us keep this close or even pull an upset but the real world swirling around me tells me different.
I just hope our boys don't need too many ice baths and will be ready for the rematch.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
I could not imagine it any better at Auburn.
Early third quarter down 7.
Buried deep in our own end; lets say 14 yard line.
Punt will most likely put them on their 40.
Maybe give up three or hold.
Naw, let's go for it to show how much we want to win.
I am not with the crowd that feels this was a good call.
But, I am not paid to make those decisions.

I would love to see us keep this close or even pull an upset but the real world swirling around me tells me different.
I just hope our boys don't need too many ice baths and will be ready for the rematch.
Auburn’s D Line is also superior to UVA’s D Line. But if LU was gobbling up chunks of yards on the ground against them.....sure go for it again. Just call a different play
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Put Jessie Lemonier at Running back and have him run it for the inches needed.

Many of us say punting is stupid looking at analytics but guys like Dabo, Saban, Kirby, Harbaugh,Meyer would punt more often than many of us like and yet look at how successful they are.

I am not saying I disagree with many on this board, but it says a lot about the value of punting when guys with multiple national championships like Saban would punt.

If we find ourselves at 4th and inches against Auburn inside our own 20 and down by 7 early in the 3rd quarter I will always prefer punt BUT if a coach decides to be ballsy and go for it and when you have a running back running for over 5 yards a carry you MUST hand him the ball!!!
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
At least Auburn is almost as inept offensively as we are defensively.

It still won’t matter, though.
By LU 57
At risk of showing my age, it was called chapel until the state threatened to pull TAG funding in the early 90's. This is also when LU stopped requiring church on Wednesdays and Sundays.
By cruzan_flame13
LU 57 wrote:At risk of showing my age, it was called chapel until the state threatened to pull TAG funding in the early 90's. This is also when LU stopped requiring church on Wednesdays and Sundays.
Didn't know that, although things definitely changed when I stepped on LU's campus as a student.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote:At risk of showing my age, it was called chapel until the state threatened to pull TAG funding in the early 90's. This is also when LU stopped requiring church on Wednesdays and Sundays.
You are 100% correct
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]