Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Old Red
I saw a lot of red scattered around from my seat in the upper deck. Hard to get a good look, but I bet it was a few thousand.
Would have been easier to if we weren’t so spread out.
By Class of 20Something
Liberty had a full section in the bottom, the band taking up a full section up top, and I would wager enough for probably another full upper section scattered. We didn't have 7,000 or anything, but we probably had around 2k there.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Too cold/windy for my wife to go AND it was on local TV. Live attendance is dying in football.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Also: The tickets offered by UVA were $35 through Liberty... I bought mine through an online dealer for $16... and UVA started selling the tix for $10.
By LUOrange
It wasn't exactly a completely full stadium of Wahoos either, granted there was alot more of them. But there were a decent number of LU fans scattered around, I know I was surrounded by a bunch, I hoping for a bigger crowd considering the proximity of the schools. Ideally, whether the game is in the Burg or Cville, these games should always be defacto home games for the visitors. Despite our losing by 21, it was still a good game to watch, that was actually pretty close until the infamous 4th down. Hopefully, there'll be a better turnout next year and we can develop a nice little rivalry with UVA.
By Jonathan Carone
badger74 wrote:Live attendance is dying in football.
This is true across most sports. The at-home experience has gotten so good with tv that it's cheaper, more comfortable, and less time consuming to watch a game at home vs going to a game in person. For many, it's not worth the hassle anymore.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:
badger74 wrote:Live attendance is dying in football.
This is true across most sports. The at-home experience has gotten so good with tv that it's cheaper, more comfortable, and less time consuming to watch a game at home vs going to a game in person. For many, it's not worth the hassle anymore.
The restrooms are cleaner, concessions always has what I want without a line.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
That's true. If I recall correctly, UVA has more parking problems than most schools. Hard to find parking within a mile from stadium.
By LU 57
ballcoach15 wrote:That's true. If I recall correctly, UVA has more parking problems than most schools. Hard to find parking within a mile from stadium.
+1
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote:UVA is only an hour away from LU. We should have had 5-7k at the game.
Is the distance your only basis for the wide-ranging and bloated guess of 5-7k? Have we had 5-7k on the Baptist side yet at a home game? Because students don’t travel. THAT is a confirmed trend nationwide.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Because students don’t travel.
Not even an hour? Did LU not send any tour buses full of students to this game?
By Jonathan Carone
Cider Jim wrote:
JK37 wrote:Because students don’t travel.
Not even an hour? Did LU not send any tour buses full of students to this game?
1) It should not be the responsibility of the athletic department to get its students to a random game an hour away. That should be reserved for championships.

2) Students don't stay the entire game when it's free and within walking distance.

3) Most students don't want to spend $50 and seven hours to travel to a football game that means nothing when they can watch it in their dorm.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
LUGrad2000 wrote:UVA is only an hour away from LU. We should have had 5-7k at the game.
Is the distance your only basis for the wide-ranging and bloated guess of 5-7k? Have we had 5-7k on the Baptist side yet at a home game? Because students don’t travel. THAT is a confirmed trend nationwide.
I was speaking from the perspective of a 90's student. We were not better, but we were more "invested" in Jerry's vision of playing Division 1a football. We didn't travel to away games either, except for the 97 girls Redford game that finished off an undefeated regular season. That was fun.

I am going to the Auburn game Saturday, but none of my circle of LU friends from GA are. Disappointing. At least they no longer ask me who LU is playing every game day. They are at least aware now. Baby steps.
By Jonathan Carone
Society as a whole isn’t as invested in attending games anymore. You don’t miss out on a ton watching the game at home vs being there.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Society as a whole isn’t as invested in attending games anymore. You don’t miss out on a ton watching the game at home vs being there.
I’d argue that you miss more watching at the stadium. Football is a difficult spectator sports because of all the moving parts.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
This is an area where technology can assist. Augmented reality, and just good old fashioned multiple video displays for multiple angles and replays.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Society as a whole isn’t as invested in attending games anymore. You don’t miss out on a ton watching the game at home vs being there.
I’d argue that you miss more watching at the stadium. Football is a difficult spectator sports because of all the moving parts.
This “Generation” doesn’t value Communal Gatherings nor the Experiential as much. I’ll be “relevant” here. You’d never see 100,000 people packed into Wimbley Stadium to experience a Live Aide type concert. Can you imagine the Yelp reviews?
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
This “Generation” doesn’t value Communal Gatherings nor the Experiential as much. I’ll be “relevant” here. You’d never see 100,000 people packed into Wimbley Stadium to experience a Live Aide type concert. Can you imagine the Yelp reviews?
I'd disagree on that one. Concert attendance has been through the roof lately. It's something you can't get online or on TV.

Sports, however, have been nearly perfected on TV.

Millennials (read: anyone under 40 really) value experiences way more than possessions. They just don't value sporting experiences as much.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Concerts have been bleeding money for years. I’m an avid concert goer. Smaller venues and multi group Billings are what make money know except for a few acts. You see much smaller gatherings. Which is fine but it’s been a conundrum for promoters

Edit: don’t be confused by the $$ figures. Tickets are expensive
By Jonathan Carone
I think you're right about the arena/stadium tours. Those are just overpriced for the show you get. My wife looked at Backstreet Boys tickets last night and they were $95 for upper level seats for a 2019 show. That's insane!

Where you're seeing people go is the smaller, more intimate venues (theaters, etc) or the large festival atmosphere where there's a lot of acts and the value is there. You can get 30 artists for $300 at Bonnaroo compared to three artists for $100 at an arena show. It's a better value.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think you're right about the arena/stadium tours. Those are just overpriced for the show you get. My wife looked at Backstreet Boys tickets last night and they were $95 for upper level seats for a 2019 show. That's insane!

Where you're seeing people go is the smaller, more intimate venues (theaters, etc) or the large festival atmosphere where there's a lot of acts and the value is there. You can get 30 artists for $300 at Bonnaroo compared to three artists for $100 at an arena show. It's a better value.
Absolutely. I noticed a few years ago some bands playing venues that made me :dontgetit But that is the trend. The Stadium Tours happen but not often. U2’s Joshua Tree Tour you could still get Standing Room tickets on the field from scalpers pretty reasonable but actual Seats were a house payment or two. Their last Arena Tour? Forget about it. Those things were expensive. (Even though I went). For geezers like me seeing REO/STYX/Don Felder (Eagles) for $45 was awesome. Probably would have paid more but ‘back in the day’ REO and STYX were headliners who could sell out an arena on their own. (And I’d have to mow a lot of yards for the $20 ticket!)
I’m not a Festival Guy at my age. But you whipper snappers appear to be!
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

LaTech

We are halfway through the season, yet we are stil[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]