Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
With VT losing maybe LU will get that 12 th game...l
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:With VT losing maybe LU will get that 12 th game...l
If it's in Lynchburg I'm onboard.

ODU just beat UNT with a great come back ......
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
TG said 4th down pass was RPO with Buckshot making the call to pass
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
If only they had a D to match the O. Another bad year on D and they should clean house on D at least.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
two problems with that call: first, pass was an option and second, you gave buckshot the option of choosing. Good head coaches make good calls in moments like that and HCTG as much as I respect him made a foolish decision. With how our offense was playing at that time you make that 4th and inches and you potentially tie the game up at 31 a piece! I predicted 42-24 as the final for this game, but I also didn't expect UVA to punt until late in the 4th. I thought our offense would move the ball well vs UVA and I thought buck would step his game up. With all that said, I was disappointed in our second half offensive play and play calling. Pickett and Hickson and the O-line continued their good play!
By cruzan_flame13
badger74 wrote:If only they had a D to match the O. Another bad year on D and they should clean house on D at least.
Clean house on D, then Gill will House to go as well since he will not let go of anyone. Not sure if a good amount of supporters can deal with another season of crappy losing games plus a few uncomfortable wins. Just to give you an idea:

You get the idea...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:two problems with that call: first, pass was an option and second, you gave buckshot the option of choosing. Good head coaches make good calls in moments like that and HCTG as much as I respect him made a foolish decision. With how our offense was playing at that time you make that 4th and inches and you potentially tie the game up at 31 a piece! I predicted 42-24 as the final for this game, but I also didn't expect UVA to punt until late in the 4th. I thought our offense would move the ball well vs UVA and I thought buck would step his game up. With all that said, I was disappointed in our second half offensive play and play calling. Pickett and Hickson and the O-line continued their good play!
I simultaneously agree and disagree with you. Rolling the QB in an RPI there isn’t a bad call so I disagree with you there But based on some of the decisions Calvert has made and the fact that Pickett could have probably gotten that yard on his own, so I agree with you there. :D
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I would almost never (9 times out of 10) pass on 3rd and less than 5 or 4th and less than 3. If you don't have enough trust in your offense to just load it up and get the first running the ball, you may as well punt.
Last edited by BJWilliams on November 10th, 2018, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Edit: double post
By Jonathan Carone
1) Where the ball goes on a 4th down play on your own 14 yard line should be the responsibility of the highly compensated coaching staff who is paid to make those decisions.

2) Those same coaches have recruited and coached the quarterback and should know his game management and football intellect limits.

That terrible decision falls completely on the coaching staff no matter how much they want to throw the player under the bus.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:1) Where the ball goes on a 4th down play on your own 14 yard line should be the responsibility of the highly compensated coaching staff who is paid to make those decisions.

2) Those same coaches have recruited and coached the quarterback and should know his game management and football intellect limits.

That terrible decision falls completely on the coaching staff no matter how much they want to throw the player under the bus.
Yup
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:1) Where the ball goes on a 4th down play on your own 14 yard line should be the responsibility of the highly compensated coaching staff who is paid to make those decisions.

You are not wrong
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
That comment effectively throws the qb under the bus. Take the decision out of his hands. Further, what if we pick up the first down. Oh we only have 86 more yards for a td. That field position right after we finally got a stop was truly unbelievable.

Probert had no shot on the 51 yarder against the wind. That was a time we should have went for it. Typical totally backwards.

Also, remember right before season gill and wimbo said weve never had this kind of competition. We can truly go 2 and 3 deep af most spots. Now suddenly its a personnel issue and were not deep enough.

Every week hes showing another reason of why the move has to be made.

With only 7 commits and about 5 who you really care about securing i think gill is starting to feel the heat again.

If we come out of the offseason with anything less than a d coordinator change i will have no faith in leadership. Id still make the full move if it were me but anything less than a D shakeup is just a joke.
By Jonathan Carone
Here’s a positive:

I’d never heard the marching band do that little fight song tag they did on first downs and big plays. They may do that every week and I didn’t know, but that felt very big time.
By CCWMichael
I did not get to follow any of the game so my view is from afar.
Looking at a box score man we were in it at half. 10 points in 28 seconds sure did not hurt us.
To go under by 21 is bad, but even the odds makers knew this.
We ran the ball it appears! Kudos to the backs and o-line for working on their (UVA) weakness.
We did not give up 600 plus on D.
Throw the ball on our own 14 with inches to go? If your going for it this close and running well .... well run. Well, run anytime.
By the box it looks as if our O despite three INT's was respectible. Hard to read from the box how our D was.
Anyone who had a look at the game did it feel like a 21 point loss?
On to next week.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
One coach who is earning his paycheck this year: MIKE BROWN. The improvement in the running game from last season to this and even from the beginning of the season until now has been nothing short of impressive.; We almost had 2 100 yard rushers this game.
By tyndal23
O Line - A, RB;s - A, OC play calling - B, QB - D ( not sure what has happened last 2 weeks - just complete Jekyl and Hyde - taking a big step back from last year ). HC Play calling ( 4th down calls ) D. Defensive Line - D ( effort was inconsistent, completely lost the edge numerous times in a 4 man front, bad angles, little push ). LB - B, Secondary - D- ( or normal grade for them ) Special Teams - D- ( would have been an F but punter saved you from a complete fail )
By rtb72

THIS! So TG left it up to the QB for a 4th down and inches on your own 14? Then, makes it clear whose call it was. This bothers me. Take some d^&% ownership of your place as a leader! Stop with the "it's so and so's fault! Winning season or not...this seems to happen to much and is not the mark of an effective leader.
By Commonwealth Posse
Wanted so badly to see LU upset UVA and our flag planted at the 50, but it wasn’t in the cards this year. Onward!

Observations:

Let Buckshot play- whatever happened to stringing passes together on drives and finding his way. The last two weeks, we have been seeing these lobs to receivers that are intercepted. We haven’t even been giving our QB the opportunity to get hot........thanks to bad play calling.

Bad play calling- It appeared going into this game that we needed to match them score for score. We have the talent, we just didn’t do it. I was so frustrated to see multiple running plays called in a row, when we need Buckshot to get hot. I like Hickson, but Pickett had it today, go with what is working. We are backing the QB into a corner by not getting enough yards early in a series. Our receiving corps is just as good or better than UVA’s, but we rarely tried to utilize them.

Defense- A nice interception and a couple of stops, but we were not able to get pressure on the QB and our secondary seemed to be playing a soft coverage.

All in all, I am encouraged and looking forward to the UVA/LU rivalry in future years.
By Nate-FlamesFan
Hey all, new poster here.
I work at the newer waffle house across from campus and I get to talk to some of the players. Pulling from those conversations, it really does seem like a lot of them feel the playcalling is a major issue. And understandably, they are pretty frustrated. That might explain some of the poor effort plays we've seen.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think LU would beat VT
If in Lynchburg, we might. Could be a great match up if both teams can get there at 5-6. If they lose to Miami they'll have to do something. They would need to beat UVA and one more to go bowling. This game has to be in discussion. Southern Miss is also looking for a 12th game, if they don't beat LA Tech they will be desperate for a 12th. Maybe Tech and them will hook up. Va Tech might be better off pinning their hopes to a game against us.
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]