Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The game is now available on WatchESPN for replay to everyone.
Many thanks, Jon. I watched the first quarter last night, and LU looked really good mixing up the run with our passing game.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:In those areas it was seen on the fox sports app...just fyi.
Unfortunately yes and no. I pulled it up on the fox sports app on my fire stick and it was blacked out on that as well.
By Pilotguy24
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Liberty22 wrote:
Pilotguy24 wrote: Why in the world was this game blacked out on ACCN on ESPN? I watched it at a friend’s house on FOX College Sports Florida. Super frustrating initially but glad I was able to watch a little bit of the game. Hope it doesn’t happen next week.
Wondering the same thing. I’m over 7 hours away from UVA, 445 miles away and they blacked it out at my house. :BS
The game was blacked out in areas on WatchESPN in regions where the regional sports network carried the game. So if you were in an area where Fox College Sports Florida was showing the game on cable, they weren't giving up the rights to allow ESPN to show the game online in their coverage area.

The game is now available on WatchESPN for replay to everyone.
Thanks! Watching the replay now. It made sense that it would be blacked out when I found the game and it said FOX Sports. If I had been at home and not known it was on FOX Sports Florida, I would've had to listen to AY. Not saying I don't like listening to him because I do, but I always prefer watching it live.
By LibertyD
I'm up North and the game was blacked out as well. I logged into the ACC Sports Network on my computer and watched the entire game live and great quality!

Look...I agree that Wimbo has got to go...but I would bench Buckshot throughout the game when he makes poor decisions. Or at least rotate a more moblie QB to give an added dimension. It's obvious that Calvert has very limited footbal IQ. He also lacks mobility and seems afraid of contact. FBS success requires a QB to be two-dimensional and fearless. His arm strength needs a lot of work. I blame Gill and OC for failing to develop this kid over the past 2 season in anticipation for playing at the FBS level. He is totally not ready to lead a successful team. Getting hot would only lead to more poor decision making and more interceptions. You don't get hot by calling more pass plays. You get hot by making the pass plays that are called by demonstrating the accuracy, arm strength and decision making that moves the ball down the field. He's gotta be willing to take one for the team on 4th and "tough yards!" We got nothing to lose by sitting Calvert....hopefully he will step up his game and leadership ability!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:
thepostman wrote:In those areas it was seen on the fox sports app...just fyi.
Unfortunately yes and no. I pulled it up on the fox sports app on my fire stick and it was blacked out on that as well.
Interesting. Well I only watched about 5 minutes due to family obligations but it was blacked out on watch watchespn but worked great on the fox sports app
By LUOrange
LibertyD wrote:I'm up North and the game was blacked out as well. I logged into the ACC Sports Network on my computer and watched the entire game live and great quality!

Look...I agree that Wimbo has got to go...but I would bench Buckshot throughout the game when he makes poor decisions. Or at least rotate a more moblie QB to give an added dimension. It's obvious that Calvert has very limited footbal IQ. He also lacks mobility and seems afraid of contact. FBS success requires a QB to be two-dimensional and fearless. His arm strength needs a lot of work. I blame Gill and OC for failing to develop this kid over the past 2 season in anticipation for playing at the FBS level. He is totally not ready to lead a successful team. Getting hot would only lead to more poor decision making and more interceptions. You don't get hot by calling more pass plays. You get hot by making the pass plays that are called by demonstrating the accuracy, arm strength and decision making that moves the ball down the field. He's gotta be willing to take one for the team on 4th and "tough yards!" We got nothing to lose by sitting Calvert....hopefully he will step up his game and leadership ability!
Give the kid a break, and we won't win without him, especially now. I'm not sure who the back-ups are now. I know Mason Cunningham, last year's back-up, has red-shirted this year so that he could potentially be our starter in 2020.
I do agree, that it's the coaches' fault for not developing Buckshot further. I think that his poor performance probably has more to do with his being tired and the pressure to score on every drive, since our defense and special teams are so poor. I wouldn't be surprised if he's thrown his arm out. But again, give the give a break, there's alot of pressure on him this year. Overall, I think he's handling it fine, much better than I could. I just hope we'll have a new coach next year who can really make us and Buckshot better.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
LibertyD wrote:I'm up North and the game was blacked out as well. I logged into the ACC Sports Network on my computer and watched the entire game live and great quality!

Excuse me, I just can't keep it in anymore............................. LOL.
By Jonathan Carone
BuryYourDuke wrote:Some of y’all are underestimating how much pressure is on Calvert to score ON EVERY DRIVE bc he has to if we are going to win. That forces people to push the envelope and make bad decisions at times.

He’s obviously got his limitations, he’s not perfect. However, he’s the best we will have for a long time, and his arm strength is ridiculously good. That’s not an issue.
That’s a great thought. I hadn’t looked at it from that perspective.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Some of y’all are underestimating how much pressure is on Calvert to score ON EVERY DRIVE bc he has to if we are going to win. That forces people to push the envelope and make bad decisions at times.

He’s obviously got his limitations, he’s not perfect. However, he’s the best we will have for a long time, and his arm strength is ridiculously good. That’s not an issue.
I'm sure it's by design, but opposing defences do not have to worry about him tucking and running, not even when flushed out of the pocket. Last time I remember a meaningful run was at Baylor last year. He's truly a pocket passer, period.
By Class of 20Something
TH Spangler wrote:

I'm sure it's by design, but opposing defences do not have to worry about him tucking and running, not even when flushed out of the pocket. Last time I remember a meaningful run was at Baylor last year. He's truly a pocket passer, period.
While I'm sure the high step into the endzone got his mask pulled by Gill, I can't imagine that encouraged him to ever run again.
By Jonathan Carone
The other piece of Calvert not running:

We don't currently have a true back-up quarterback. In 2017 and 2018 combined, Mason Cunningham has a grand total of 16 pass attempts. If Calvert gets hurt running the ball, we're done.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Let's also not forget that Buck is on pace to throw for 3600+ yards this season and I expect him to get 9 TD's over the next 3 games with hopefully max of 2 picks. If that happens we will have had a QB with over 3600 yards passing and 27 TD's and 16 picks. How many of us thought he would have as few picks as he did last year with this being a his first FBS season. Sure, we want to see Buck do better but guaranteed Buck wants to better more than we want him to. The kid competes and what more can you ask for. Imagine if we didn't have Buck? Your looking at probably a 2-10 season and yet we are on pace for 6-6.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Something else I found pretty cool and I give credit to Frankie for his hard work and Mike Brown who has done a fabulous job. Frankie has been significantly more patient when running the ball this, his vision has improved and his explosiveness too.

If Frankie just runs for his average of 85 yards a game over the next 3 he will do something that hasn't been done since DJ Abnar in 2014. Which is run for 1,000 yards in a season. By the way, since the Army game Frankie has averaged 106.57 yards per game. This would rank 18th best in the nation and one yard behind some guy from Clemson named Travis Etienne.

Now, moving to Auburn who gives up 151 yards per game rushing in comparison to UVA's 136 and we put up 205 yards on the ground against Virginias 37th best run defense. The last 3 games Auburn has given up 209.7 yards per game on the ground. Georgia busted them up good on the ground and I don't think we will run for basically 7 yards per carry but I do think we will have success running the ball. If we have zero turnovers this game as Coach Corso says will be closer than the experts think.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The other piece of Calvert not running:

We don't currently have a true back-up quarterback. In 2017 and 2018 combined, Mason Cunningham has a grand total of 16 pass attempts. If Calvert gets hurt running the ball, we're done.
For that reason I'm sure he's following instructions. Just saying if you know a QB will not run even when he's flushed it makes things a lot easier for a defence. When flushed, a number of times he ran to the line of scrimmage and tried to force something in when he could have run for another 5-8 yards. I agree though, we don't want him hurt.
By LibertyD
Okay. Let's give Buckshot a break. But we certainly know that other opponents won't!. Alabama does not have a back-up QB. Both guys are hurt. But Tua still runs when needed. I'm just saying...Buckshot is going to have to learn to slide. He can get hurt just as easy sitting in the pocket and waiting to get sacked! And he certainly can't continue to force bad passes into double and triple coverage when has a better chance to extend drives by utilizing the run-and -slide! NO more excuses...he's gotta utilize his legs more in the FBS! In terms of arm strength, he's been short-arming the ball all season. Do you remeber the Army game? Wide open receiver...ball floats short! I think we've missed more TDs to short balls than to out right drops. I'm just saying with Gill being a former Heisman candidate at QB, you would think he would develop Buckshot to be more versitile at this level! He better spend the off season working on these problem areas. Next year will be a tell-tell season. Got some really outstanding additons to the offense that will immediately impact. Especially the Mack kid RB from Maine. Bucks gotta be ready to match this kids intensity! I've checked him out. This kid is at another level. We can't want to win like an FBS school but make excuses like an FCS school! OH YEAH...WIMBO GOTTA GO!!! I'LL GIVE GILL ONE MORE SEASON OF FBS TRANSITION...BUT THAT'S IT!
By Libertyfan_71

I'll just leave this right here." Calvert remains one of the FBS’ top passers this season. He ranks 12th in passing yards per game at 297.4 and is tied for 29th with 18 touchdown passes."
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
LibertyD wrote:I'm just saying with Gill being a former Heisman candidate at QB, you would think he would develop Buckshot to be more versitile at this level!
You used Gill and develop in the same sentence! :lol:
That hasn't happened here going back to Josh Woodrum.
By LU 57
I keep reading about the “big step forward” our defense took against UVA. I am all about positivity but I am struggling to see it. Yes we held them to 389 yards, BUT anyone who watched that game knows this is a stretch. Until late when UVA was running out the clock UVA moved the ball at will. A few other thoughts:

1. When you are averaging 41.2 yards per return, you have that much less yardage to gain to score. Even if you throw out the return for a TD, they were starting each drive at the 35-45. If they start those drives on the 25 they probably get another 100 yards of offense over the course of the game. And remember, one of those drives started at the +14.

2. They were 6-6 in the red zone.

3. We forced 3 punts. If I remember correctly the first one was due to a drop by a wide open receiver. At least one of the others came when they ran 3 straight times to run out the clock late.

4. Although we limited explosive plays, this was more tactical by UVA based on what our D was giving them. Specifically, our corners were giving up huge cushions so UVA was happy to throw underneath and get first downs.

That said, I do give the staff a fair amount of credit for recognizing how ineffective our D has been and coming up with a game plan to possess the ball and keep the D on the sidelines as much as possible. I hope we can run the ball as successfully down at Auburn. I also hope we can clean up our kick coverage which was really rough last week, and less than great all season.
By rtb72
LU 57 wrote:I keep reading about the “big step forward” our defense took against UVA. I am all about positivity but I am struggling to see it. Yes we held them to 389 yards, BUT anyone who watched that game knows this is a stretch. Until late when UVA was running out the clock UVA moved the ball at will. A few other thoughts:

1. When you are averaging 41.2 yards per return, you have that much less yardage to gain to score. Even if you throw out the return for a TD, they were starting each drive at the 35-45. If they start those drives on the 25 they probably get another 100 yards of offense over the course of the game. And remember, one of those drives started at the +14.

2. They were 6-6 in the red zone.

3. We forced 3 punts. If I remember correctly the first one was due to a drop by a wide open receiver. At least one of the others came when they ran 3 straight times to run out the clock late.

4. Although we limited explosive plays, this was more tactical by UVA based on what our D was giving them. Specifically, our corners were giving up huge cushions so UVA was happy to throw underneath and get first downs.

That said, I do give the staff a fair amount of credit for recognizing how ineffective our D has been and coming up with a game plan to possess the ball and keep the D on the sidelines as much as possible. I hope we can run the ball as successfully down at Auburn. I also hope we can clean up our kick coverage which was really rough last week, and less than great all season.
This is a chronic issue with our passing defense....and when you consider we can't tackle, that has created short routes into huge plays for our opponents. Add to the fact that in THIS game we may have not given up huge gains....how many times have we seen our corners SAVED only because of a dropped/overthrown/underthrown pass.
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]