Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:It is not TG that is throwing terrible balls today. It is not TG that is throwing into double and triple coverage or throwing softballs. Buckshot is not having a good game.
LOL. Who put us in the position to have to throw with stupid play calling? UVA now knows we have to throw.............. yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference for anyone who knows anything about football. How can anyone defend that call? I'm out, enjoy the rest of the game. smh
Last edited by flameshaw on November 10th, 2018, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
The 4th & inches call was horrific. Had we tried to run it with Pickett that would make sense. To throw it like that is foolish! Normally, I would never go for it on 4th and 1 at your own 10, but your playing Virginia and the defense hasn't been anything.

Buckshot had a good first half and first series but since then, terrible. This game is closer than what the score says.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:The 4th & inches call was horrific. Had we tried to run it with Pickett that would make sense. To throw it like that is foolish! Normally, I would never go for it on 4th and 1 at your own 10, but your playing Virginia and the defense hasn't been anything.

Buckshot had a good first half and first series but since then, terrible. This game is closer than what the score says.
Pickett is a strong runner and it was less than a yard. You had nothing to lose going for it, but geebus put yourself in a position to be successful
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
In the first half we threw to the Tight End and some screens. In the second half we just decide to toss it up for grabs.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Yeah i said back in july pickett was best back. Staff has held him back. When used hes been outstanding. Look at his season ypc. Look at who he has done it against.
Last edited by jinxy on November 10th, 2018, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
ALAFlamesFan wrote:It is not TG that is throwing terrible balls today. It is not TG that is throwing into double and triple coverage or throwing softballs. Buckshot is not having a good game.
LOL. Who put us in the position to have to throw with stupid play calling? UVA now knows we have to throw.............. yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference for anyone who knows anything about football. How can anyone defend that call? I'm out, enjoy the rest of the game. smh
I am not going to argue your points but despite being in the position to need to throw, Buckshot is not executing. His balls have been inaccurate, soft and he has forced it. All things he has done on and off this season but today is acutely apparent.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Yeah i said back in july pickett was beat back. Staff has held him back. When used hes been outstanding. Look at his season ypc. Look at who he has done it against.
You were not wrong. He is clearly the best back on the team
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Give the kid a break...he is an FCS QB and did well at that level. Our defenders aren't great- midlevel FCS talent, IMHO; meanwhile, our opponents are exposing our shortcomings because they have played at a higher level.

UVa will likely be our best opponent other than Auburn; they should spank us pretty good.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:The 4th & inches call was horrific. Had we tried to run it with Pickett that would make sense. To throw it like that is foolish! Normally, I would never go for it on 4th and 1 at your own 10, but your playing Virginia and the defense hasn't been anything.

Pickett is a strong runner and it was less than a yard. You had nothing to lose going for it, but geebus put yourself in a position to be successful

Especially when he is averaging 6.8 yards per carry! Why would you ever throw it on 4 and inches! That play call changed the game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:Give the kid a break...he is an FCS QB and did well at that level. Our defenders aren't great- midlevel FCS talent, IMHO; meanwhile, our opponents are exposing our shortcomings because they have played at a higher level.

UVa will likely be our best opponent other than Auburn; they should spank us pretty good.
With certain plays certainly I can give him a break. But he’s had several throws the last two or three weeks that make me wonder if he is injured or something :dontgetit
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
He threw 7 picks all of last year and has thrown that many in the last two games. He has gotten more careless the last two weeks with the ball by trying to do to much and he should be past that as a Junior. Sure he has the arm strength but it seems he may have regressed in his decision making this year.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Buckshot has been making terrible decisions all year as well.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:Give the kid a break...he is an FCS QB and did well at that level. Our defenders aren't great- midlevel FCS talent, IMHO; meanwhile, our opponents are exposing our shortcomings because they have played at a higher level.

St. Francis
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I think we all understand this is a tough transition and we all understand we will lose games, some by lopsided scores. What we can't understand is poor decision making, poor fundamentals (tackling) and lack of development game to game. This was not the worst game we have played and I did see progress from that UMass debacle on the defensive side. The running game was great!
Next week is a throw away game. We are going to get beat and it is going to be ugly. How we look in the final two games is what I want to watch. Do we pack it in or do we fight to the end? Do we make progress or regress?

Also, we should see recruiting pick up. Can we close on some talent?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Stats were dead even ........ except turnovers. Guys play hard, respectable showing. :football
Last edited by TH Spangler on November 10th, 2018, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
jinxy wrote:Yeah i said back in july pickett was beat back. Staff has held him back. When used hes been outstanding. Look at his season ypc. Look at who he has done it against.
You were not wrong. He is clearly the best back on the team
Which begs the question, why did he only get 4 carries last week? And none in the three OT's IIRC. I don't remember an injury. Granted, we scored 59 points but why don't you consistently play your best position player?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Did not watch game, but according to box score, our defense had one of better games.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:He threw 7 picks all of last year and has thrown that many in the last two games. He has gotten more careless the last two weeks with the ball by trying to do to much and he should be past that as a Junior. Sure he has the arm strength but it seems he may have regressed in his decision making this year.

Actually threw 6 INTs last year. 10 of his 14 INTs this year were soft tosses that were under thrown allowing the safety to come over and pickoff the pass and 2 were bad overthrows. Had he thrown those balls with a little more zip and a little longer he eliminates 6 of those INTs and hits the receivers in stride. Teams are putting more pressure on him than he was accustomed to in FCS and the CBs and safeties in FBS are faster and bigger with wing span. I would love to seem him just take off some game and pick up a few yards rather than flinging the ball up and thinking AGG or Farrow is always going to get it.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Chippy 100 percent agree. The vast majority of the time you perfectly described the issues. Its puzzling how he can zip those 20 yard outs struggle so much with the ball over the top.

Today he just didnt see the safety twice and tried to float it. Uva has the best defense and best secondary we have seen. That crap wont work against them like it does against nm state and umass etc.
By LUOrange
Purple Haize wrote:

With certain plays certainly I can give him a break. But he’s had several throws the last two or three weeks that make me wonder if he is injured or something :dontgetit
It does make you wonder if he's hurt some, thrown his arm out some, or just tired. Ultimately, the lack of devolpment on his part is a coaching issue, just like most of our issues.
By CCWMichael

FCS QB ---- Flacco, Garrappolo, Wentz current. Past Doug Williams, Phil Simms, McNair.
What I see is a QB who is unable to lead his receivers and at any levela QB needs to do this. If the receivers need to stop or go backwards we lose.
Jump balls and static targets are simple, he must be able to anticipate and lead his receivers. I see very little of that.
2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Sounds like you don't watch UVA play that much. I […]