Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
A second source has confirmed it will be against Marshall.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:A second source has confirmed it will be against Marshall.
They couldn’t find a varsity team to play? :D
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Stop it with the transitive property. It’s November now. Just stop.

I wouldn’t want to play ODU again.
Agreed...LaRussa would tear us apart i think
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I don't know how VT beat UVA. We beat ODU, they beat VT, UVA beat us and the VT beats UVA. A good example of why comparing scores is a bunch of crapola and a total waste of time. 8) 8) Play Basketball
By tyndal23
Class of 20Something wrote:Let's rehash this for 2019. Tech just canceled their road game at ECU for September 21st. Liberty has one of two FCS games scheduled against Hampton for that date.
Sets up perfect - we take the road game at VT still have a home game on either side of it - eliminate an FCS worthless game, upgrade our schedule with a local P5 that home fans will travel to. VT gets an FBS opponent vs an FCS ( that they are currently contemplating ). So even a loss doesn’t effect our Bowl eligible status ( unless we lose our other FCS game ). Make it happen Ian !!!
By Damien Sordelett
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Let's rehash this for 2019. Tech just canceled their road game at ECU for September 21st. Liberty has one of two FCS games scheduled against Hampton for that date.
Sets up perfect - we take the road game at VT still have a home game on either side of it - eliminate an FCS worthless game, upgrade our schedule with a local P5 that home fans will travel to. VT gets an FBS opponent vs an FCS ( that they are currently contemplating ). So even a loss doesn’t effect our Bowl eligible status ( unless we lose our other FCS game ). Make it happen Ian !!!
Hate to rain on the parade here ...

The contract for the Hampton game (much like the other FCS games) calls for a $750,000 payment if either side cancels the game. So in this scenario, if Liberty cancels this game to set up the matchup with Virginia Tech, Liberty would need to receive a substantial guarantee from Virginia Tech (probably around/if not more than $1 million) to offset paying Hampton the cancellation fee.

Plus, Liberty and Hampton have a good working relationship in both the academic and athletic realms. Liberty was influential with helping Hampton get into the Big South Conference (before departing for the A-Sun), and I doubt you want to burn an in-state program just to play the big-name FBS program in the state.

From the sound of things, Tech AD Whit Babcock said he would be "surprised" if ECU made the trips to Blacksburg for the games that Tech didn't opt out of. Since Liberty hasn't been able to schedule a team from the AAC yet, I'd keep an eye on those dates to see if Liberty can negotiate getting the Pirates on the schedule. Like for instance, 2025, the Sept. 20 date is currently occupied with a home game against Army. Right now, neither team has announced a game for Nov. 8, so you could easily move the matchup with the Black Knights to that date to get the game against ECU earlier in the season. Then, Liberty can begin negotiating a series with the Pirates since that aligns with the type of regional matchup Liberty wants on its schedules.
By tyndal23
Thanks for the good info - In that case I would push to cancel Maine, push Hampton to that date and take VT road game - Neither school should have 2 FCS games on the schedule ( especially VT )
By tyndal23
Careful Ballcoach, board might call u crazy for wanting to drop an FCS team that could easily upset us, but gives us no upside if we win for a game with VT.
By tyndal23
IF both teams are motivated it can be done easily enough. VT probably laying out $4-600k for an FCS team to come - give that to us and we eat difference - we already stay in a hotel 1 night for a home game anyway - travel expense would literally be a bus. Home gate not that much we give up anyway. This is one time it would make sense to restructure - would be different if we only had 1 FCS game and it counted towards bowl eligible.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
According to my sources, an opponent has been identified, both teams are working out details now. Will be made public in January.

I will bet one person, one breakfast meal at Hardee's that the opponent will not be LU.
By cruzan_flame13
tyndal23 wrote:IF both teams are motivated it can be done easily enough. VT probably laying out $4-600k for an FCS team to come - give that to us and we eat difference - we already stay in a hotel 1 night for a home game anyway - travel expense would literally be a bus. Home gate not that much we give up anyway. This is one time it would make sense to restructure - would be different if we only had 1 FCS game and it counted towards bowl eligible.
Taking risks to make a better schedule and later relations with a P5 school down the road? That’s crazy talk! We’ll have to pay back another school money, even though you have to lose some to gain some and even better deals...don’t be too crazy tyndal23! What now, you expect a P5 type coach to come and coach on the mountain too?!! Oh wait.. :lol:
2024 Recruiting Discussion

He’s the exception to the rule. Opposing […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]