Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:which is one of the reasons why moving to FBS was so attractive.
It doesn't seem like the costs would be offset despite the bigger "payday."
By tyndal23
We should have pounced before they finalized it. We play NMSU twice and 2 FCS schools - this would have been smart for both teams regardless if it cost LU a few hundred thousand. LU would have a legit shot at winning there next year ( better probably than the following year when they are on the schedule due to roster turnover for LU and current state of VT ). But for all we know VT knows that and wanted to avoid it - I can’t imagine we didn’t reach out to them at least.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:We should have pounced before they finalized it. We play NMSU twice and 2 FCS schools - this would have been smart for both teams regardless if it cost LU a few hundred thousand. LU would have a legit shot at winning there next year ( better probably than the following year when they are on the schedule due to roster turnover for LU and current state of VT ). But for all we know VT knows that and wanted to avoid it - I can’t imagine we didn’t reach out to them at least.
:beatinghorse
By Class of 20Something
flamehunter wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:We should have pounced before they finalized it. We play NMSU twice and 2 FCS schools - this would have been smart for both teams regardless if it cost LU a few hundred thousand. LU would have a legit shot at winning there next year ( better probably than the following year when they are on the schedule due to roster turnover for LU and current state of VT ). But for all we know VT knows that and wanted to avoid it - I can’t imagine we didn’t reach out to them at least.
:beatinghorse
I do wish LU could say they tried to secure the game but VT wanted an additional FCS opponent. I agree with Tyndal, Ian & Co. probably did reach out to get us to 11 FBS games.
By Jonathan Carone
What good does it do to publicly state an in-state school we have multiple games scheduled with over the next decade didn't want to play us next year? It does nothing but boost our ego and make them potentially want to get out of future games.
By tyndal23
It wouldn’t do any good to publicly state anything about behind the scenes scheduling discussions and I don’t think anyone on here is asking admin to publicly state anything.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
A lot of work goes into scheduling. It's never good to cancel a game that has been placed on schedule. It can affect scheduling in the future. If a school gets shafted, they "will remember it" when you call again.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
I can tell you this, the Chokies are on the down slide. They have been for years. They are going back to how they scheduled years ago. Cupcakes for wins. Does anyone think that URI is going to draw a bigger crowd than ECU?? All VT has to hang their hat on now is owning the Commonwealth Cup for so long. They are a mediocre team but their fanbase still thinks they are a top ten program. Give it a rest.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:I can tell you this, the Chokies are on the down slide. They have been for years. They are going back to how they scheduled years ago. Cupcakes for wins. Does anyone think that URI is going to draw a bigger crowd than ECU?? All VT has to hang their hat on now is owning the Commonwealth Cup for so long. They are a mediocre team but their fanbase still thinks they are a top ten program. Give it a rest.
Yeah, this isn't at all true, at least not with the folks I talk to regularly. Fuente better show something next year, because the fanbase is getting antsy. I don't think Tech fans expect top-10, but we do have an expectation to at least compete in the Coastal and not get run off the field by Georgia Tech, Pitt and Miami, as was the case this year. Bud gets a pass for one year due to all of the injuries/defections on defense, but he won't get the same courtesy next year.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I predict VT will be back at top of Coastal Division next season. VT dropped ECU because ECU failed to abide by contract in 2018. Had nothing to do with crowd.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:I predict VT will be back at top of Coastal Division next season. VT dropped ECU because ECU failed to abide by contract in 2018. Had nothing to do with crowd.
I thought VT refused to reschedule after the hurricane so ECU got another opponent.
By LU 57
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I predict VT will be back at top of Coastal Division next season. VT dropped ECU because ECU failed to abide by contract in 2018. Had nothing to do with crowd.
I thought VT refused to reschedule after the hurricane so ECU got another opponent.
My understanding from a fairly hardcore Tech fan is that ECU cancelled a game that was not theirs to cancel. Specifically, that VT offered to put ECU up in Roanoke on that Wednesday to get them out of Greenville but that ECU took it upon themselves to cancel the game over social media before VT could make a decision.
By Class of 20Something
The issue isn't just getting the players away from the coast, it's letting players that live in the coastal region be with family throughout the incoming natural disaster. It's the same reason LU rescheduled Norfolk State.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ECU just cancelled game themselves, without consulting with VT I believe. It was VT's home game, thus they are in control. In reality the way everything went down, it should have been a forfeit, and VT given a win. I
By tyndal23
Even Hugh Freeze miffed we are playing 2 FCS schools - VT and LU should pay Hampton and URI same amount to play each other - and have LU come to Tech for free and come back to LU for free in next 5 years. Win for all involved. Can even invite them to come play another year and be only FCS team on schedule if they don’t want to just cash a check.
By tyndal23
On his Presser today - he said laughingly said when he stated bowl as a goal he wasn’t aware we had 2 FCS teams on the schedule so now we have to win 7.
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]