Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By tyndal23
Not sure how real it is, but would be really great to have VT game added. I would take a probable 5-7 over meaningless 6-6 with a decent shot - exposure and buzz 100 times better than Norfolk State.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:I would rather have a chance at a 6-6 season with the current schedule than to schedule VT.
Spoken like a true UVa guy. Study And I agree.
By CapnMac
The only way I see VT coming to Lynchburg this year is if they're desperate for a 6th win and see us as their easiest chance. I don't know if its worth the trade off or not. Even if we were able to win a 5th FBS game to be bowl eligible, its looking like a high possibility that there will be a surplus of bowl eligible teams this year so our chances of going are getting slimmer each week.

Would we rather play a third game in a row against a P5 team, that could likely be our third week in a row of getting blown out? Or would we rather end the season with a win, finish 6-6, and build toward next year? I can see the appeal of both sides.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
My sources aren't ballcoach's sources, but I'm hearing that Tech wants to schedule MARSHALL. :shock: :clapping :pray
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
VT can and should beat LU. Don’t let emotion get in the way of rational logic.

And don’t you dare use the transitive property with me!

My question is, can VT pay LU enough to make it worth it. Because VT ain’t coming to Lynchburg, and Liberty shouldn’t go to Blacksburg for cheap.

But my biggest question is, what is the virtue of a bowl game for VT above and beyond the cost of a 12th game? If they have to pay $750k+ to get a winnable 12th game, just to go to a bowl with a sub-$1M payout, what is the point? It seems like paying up front for the opportunity to lose more money later.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
Not sure the money matters to Liberty as much as getting more future dates on the schedule with the Hokies, particularly at home. If VT has reached out to us, we should be bargaining for future games not money.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Liberty: This one is a long shot since the team has already rescheduled with Norfolk State to play on Dec. 1. A school spokesman said Wednesday that Liberty plans to play Norfolk State as scheduled.

A spokesman at Norfolk State said he was not aware of any contact from Virginia Tech regarding the situation.

But if Tech could afford to buyout Norfolk State’s contract, and possibly dangle more future games with the Flames, that could possibly entice a change.

Liberty, an FBS independent, is already on Tech’s future schedule, in Blacksburg in 2020, 2027 and 2028 and once in Lynchburg in 2022.

https://www.richmond.com/sports/college ... 2d4f6.html
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: Because VT ain’t coming to Lynchburg...
Come on, JK, don't be a wet blanket: let an old man like Ballcoach dream his wild dreams. :oldhag :pray
Last edited by Cider Jim on November 15th, 2018, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
By CCWMichael
JK37 wrote:VT can and should beat LU. Don’t let emotion get in the way of rational logic.

And don’t you dare use the transitive property with me!

My question is, can VT pay LU enough to make it worth it. Because VT ain’t coming to Lynchburg, and Liberty shouldn’t go to Blacksburg for cheap.

But my biggest question is, what is the virtue of a bowl game for VT above and beyond the cost of a 12th game? If they have to pay $750k+ to get a winnable 12th game, just to go to a bowl with a sub-$1M payout, what is the point? It seems like paying up front for the opportunity to lose more money later.
If VT looks at our attendance they would probably be able to fill the rest of our seats easily.
I am sure that is not their concern. HOF weekend we should stay at home.
How desperate will VT get if the many other options fail?
I t will be fun to follow.
I am looking at the possibility of not making the Turkey day weekend game due to potential weather. But, if it were VT I would work hard to find a way.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ARE THERE ANY ONGOING DISCUSSIONS ABOUT TRYING TO GET A 12TH GAME SCHEDULED IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS, OR ARE YOU GUYS RESIGNED TO JUST HAVING 11 FOR THIS SEASON?

"Yeah, it hasn't been addressed. We are still in those discussions. Obviously we know we're coming up against the end of the season here. Whit and his staff are working every single day on trying to get a solution. So we're still open to it.

I would welcome the opportunity if the opportunity presents itself. As you can imagine there's a lot of moving parts to that, and Whit and his staff are still combing through all that."
https://247sports.com/college/virginia- ... 24729419_7
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote:Not sure the money matters to as much as getting more future dates on the schedule with the Hokies, particularly at home. If VT has reached out to us, we should be bargaining for future games not money.
They buy out of the NSU game and give us another Tech home and home :lol: I would love to see my NSU ticket miraculously turn into a Virginia Tech ticket, in Williams of course. :D
By Class of 20Something
TH Spangler wrote:
A Sea of Red wrote:Not sure the money matters to as much as getting more future dates on the schedule with the Hokies, particularly at home. If VT has reached out to us, we should be bargaining for future games not money.
They buy out of the NSU game and give us another Tech home and home :lol: I would love to see my NSU ticket miraculously turn into a Virginia Tech ticket, in Williams of course. :D
I say lead with them buying out NSU and a 2 for 1 with two games in Lynchburg. Try and move to a home and home, offer to eat the buyout to make it happen. Tech will probably push to buy out NSU and just get the single game.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Assuming VaTech needs this game, LU is bargaining from a position of power. I'd insist they come to Lynchburg (LU can eat $300,000 to Norfolk State). If they don't, then we play Norfolk State at home. We're getting plenty of exposure this year with games against UVa and Auburn, and I don't think it's in our best interests to lose a home game just to travel an hour away to get clobbered.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
From what I have gathered its been talked about but probably not happening. We aren't playing an away game that weekend. Its hall of fame weekend and senior day. No one that I know of would be willing to let that go for a game in blacksburg. Also the bowl eligibility thing was brought up on twitter the other day. If you think we'd have a shot at beating a VT team so desperate that they buy out NSU for us and come to the Bill to try and become bowl eligible, your Kool-aide must have strong shine in it. Yes it would make us bowl eligible if we happen to beat NMSU as well. But with the way we have played, I cant see us beating NMSU and VT back to back.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Do you know how bad VT has been playing lately ? Defense struggles, offense struggles, no special teams play worth noting. If LU played VT, I believe LU wins.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Do you know how bad VT has been playing lately ? Defense struggles, offense struggles, no special teams play worth noting. If LU played VT, I believe LU wins.
Ballcoach, love ya man, but we have less than a zero chance of beating VT. Especially if we continue to go for it on 4th down, in our own territory. :roll: Just aint going to happen.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Nonsens - LU would win 7 out of 10 games on a neutral field against them. Ballcoach is right.
I see you got started early on the weekend. 8) smh
By tyndal23
flameshaw wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:Nonsens - LU would win 7 out of 10 games on a neutral field against them. Ballcoach is right.
I see you got started early on the weekend. 8) smh
Not joking - LU runs and throws all over them and they don’t excel at either on O so our D would match up similar to ODU / Troy. We get killed with an above average QB and good receiver with any hint of a run game threat. Happy to argue stats and logic - but to say no prayer is ridiculous when we beat a team 52-10 that beat them.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Virginia Tech is beatable this year. We went toe to toe with UVA until the 4th down call and the consecutive series' with INT's. UVA's defense couldn't stop our O until we stopped ourselves. 45-24 may have been the score but it was ALOT closer than the score tells. I read a few articles that mentioned UVA survived a scare from LU. I am not saying we would for sure beat Tech, but I am saying that we have a better chance against them than we did against UVA.
By tyndal23
UVA is a tougher match up for LU this year vs VT - QB can throw good enough and run it - best in ACC at doing it. That keeps your D in check - VT offense we could pin our ears back and stack the box - similar to ODU and Troy - which plays to the strength of our D - as for our O - we can run and pass on VT where as UVA their secondary matches up real well against us so we ran ( well ) Buckshot was sketchy - if he had been solid then we had a punchers chance. Should have been a 10 point game or less... Still waiting on hearing Flameshaw provide some reason and stats for how LU would have no chance against VT...
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]