Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:We got a shout out on College football final for giving up 300+ yards of receiving to a single receiver this past weekend. after the next two weeks I'm sure we can kiss our bowl chances goodbye. you now have to win one over Auburn/UVA plus beat NMSU to even sniff the possibility. I'm still waiting to for a legitimate reason as to why I should consider this season a success. especially after blowing two very winnable games that would already have us bowl eligible .
Well, one thing would be, that every day that goes by, puts us ever closer to a new coaching staff.

Personally, if I am TG and they don't give me a contract extension at the seasons end, I resign. Pretty hard to recruit effectively and to coach without the future job security/backing/financial support, of the administration.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
I'm now on board with the whole staff must go group. we really could be bowl eligible at 6-2. NMSU and UMass we gift wrapped.
By Jonathan Carone
flamesfilmguy wrote:I'm still waiting to for a legitimate reason as to why I should consider this season a success.
Here's the thing: 6-6 would be a success this season because it was better than anyone expected.

It would also be frustrating and possibly a failure because we could've very well finished 8-4 if we didn't blow two winnable games.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
flamesfilmguy wrote:I'm still waiting to for a legitimate reason as to why I should consider this season a success.
Here's the thing: 6-6 would be a success this season because it was better than anyone expected.

It would also be frustrating and possibly a failure because we could've very well finished 8-4 if we didn't blow two winnable games.
You need to look around, in the real world 99% of teams lay a dude or two each season. :lol:
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:I'm now on board with the whole staff must go group. we really could be bowl eligible at 6-2. NMSU and UMass we gift wrapped.
8)

Play Basketball
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:

I will caveat all our predictions. Most didn't think we would have a run game or be able to be 8 games into the season and have almost all of our starters.

I think expectations should reasonably change once you open the season with a 42 point routing of your first FBS opponent.

Watching HOW our defense gets burnt is all scheme. We know we don't have LSU's DBs. Why on earth are we covering the best WR in CFB with one man and no help over the top? Why do I get excited on the rare open field tackle.

Before the season we all believed our PLAYERS would be the limitation for success. We believed that talent gap, depth, and an FBS schedule would keep us in the losers column. That has not be the case. We have seen time and time again that our COACHES are incapable or too stubborn to scheme our players into positions where they can excel.

Anyone have a guess as to why Buckshot threw a pick in the 3rd OT? That was his second pass attempt since the end of regulation. That is right. We called a run on TWELVE CONSECUTIVE PLAYS WITH BUCKSHOT CALVERT AND ANTONIO GANDY GOLDEN ON THE FIELD.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:

6-6 would be better than most expected. (My over/under was 3.5 wins). However, as you correctly point out, we blew two very winnable games with poor coaching decisions,play calling, clock management, etc. and came very close to a couple of more, (Troy and Idaho State). This has been an all too common refrain with the TG regime. For every Baylor, there are 3-5 St. Francis, G-W debacles.
No need to waste another year with head-scratching mediocrity, knowing that TG is not the guy to get us where we want to go long-term. Seven years is more than enough time for a coach at any school, at any level, to prove one's self.
By tyndal23
On top of that we have not been embarrassed or blown out and show that we aren’t as far from FBS ready in a transition year as most expected. N Texas and Army scores were deceiving - we beat Troy who is a top G5 team - if we get run out of the building against UVA and Auburn that will give us a better idea of level of FBS ready. I think we play them a lot closer than expected - ( there are lower ranked spread offenses that would destroy us - but simply based on their offensive schemes I think we play them pretty tough - UVA at least... ) . Yes, it doesn’t take away sting from 2 games we should have won, but big picture we have a good foundation. Defense has to travel to win FBS road games and our 1 road win they played 1 good half and it was “just” enough. As for D next year - I would take a good D Line as foundation and have to worry about filling in LB and secondary skill players from JUCO and recruiting vs the other way around. Even if no changes are made, I think next year sets up pretty solid for LU. 2020 is an entirely different deal.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

I will caveat all our predictions. Most didn't think we would have a run game or be able to be 8 games into the season and have almost all of our starters.

I think expectations should reasonably change once you open the season with a 42 point routing of your first FBS opponent.

Watching HOW our defense gets burnt is all scheme. We know we don't have LSU's DBs. Why on earth are we covering the best WR in CFB with one man and no help over the top? Why do I get excited on the rare open field tackle.

Before the season we all believed our PLAYERS would be the limitation for success. We believed that talent gap, depth, and an FBS schedule would keep us in the losers column. That has not be the case. We have seen time and time again that our COACHES are incapable or too stubborn to scheme our players into positions where they can excel.

Anyone have a guess as to why Buckshot threw a pick in the 3rd OT? That was his second pass attempt since the end of regulation. That is right. We called a run on TWELVE CONSECUTIVE PLAYS WITH BUCKSHOT CALVERT AND ANTONIO GANDY GOLDEN ON THE FIELD.
That was definitely a major head-scratcher. I guess when we gained 21 yards on the first play in OT, with a pass to our best WR, there was no need/thought to go back to something that actually worked.
Calvert made a bad pass. But the poor play-calling prior to that pass, resulted in an obvious passing situation and UMass did a good job of pressuring our QB. Hard to throw a pass backing up off your back foot.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:On top of that we have not been embarrassed or blown out and show that we aren’t as far from FBS ready in a transition year as most expected. N Texas and Army scores were deceiving - we beat Troy who is a top G5 team - if we get run out of the building against UVA and Auburn that will give us a better idea of level of FBS ready. I think we play them a lot closer than expected - ( there are lower ranked spread offenses that would destroy us - but simply based on their offensive schemes I think we play them pretty tough - UVA at least... ) . Yes, it doesn’t take away sting from 2 games we should have won, but big picture we have a good foundation. Defense has to travel to win FBS road games and our 1 road win they played 1 good half and it was “just” enough. As for D next year - I would take a good D Line as foundation and have to worry about filling in LB and secondary skill players from JUCO and recruiting vs the other way around. Even if no changes are made, I think next year sets up pretty solid for LU. 2020 is an entirely different deal.
You need to stop using that Bacardi in your kool-aid. Or at least reduce the alcohol ratio from 99% to 60 or 70%.
By Class of 20Something
flameshaw wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote: I will caveat all our predictions. Most didn't think we would have a run game or be able to be 8 games into the season and have almost all of our starters.

That was definitely a major head-scratcher. I guess when we gained 21 yards on the first play in OT, with a pass to our best WR, there was no need/thought to go back to something that actually worked.
Calvert made a bad pass. But the poor play-calling prior to that pass, resulted in an obvious passing situation and UMass did a good job of pressuring our QB. Hard to throw a pass backing up off your back foot.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

You need to look around, in the real world 99% of teams lay a dude or two each season. :lol:
lol the logic in this is funny. sad. but funny. We did lay two duds. (I'm assuming thats what you meant because laying two dudes is just weird) North Texas was a massive dude as well as army. currently we have 4 duds. 2 of which were massive awful definitely preventable duds. and in the next two weeks we will have worked our way up to 6. good teams don't lose to bad teams the way we have, and continue to. We exceeded most everyone's expectations going into the season congrats. but we still lost to freaking UMass and NMSU. and its not just because we lost. its HOW we lost those games that has everyone trying to join the Fire Gill train. I've been saying it all year and I've gotten plenty of flack from you and a few others for it. We. Lose. Games. That. We. Shouldn't. EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. ya'll were very quick to jump on me when I was hesitant after the troy win because I knew that this very thing could happen:
Timeline of Liberty fan reactions:
We come out in the opener with our hair on fire and blowout ODU- WOW WE MIGHT ACTUALLY BE GOOD!
Army- We should have won that game but its army and they were good last year so meh its all good.
UNT- WOW WE GOT EMBARRASSED BUT THESE GUYS BEAT ARKANSAS SO THEY MUST BE GOOD so we are good.(turns out they are pretty good so Ill give you that one.
UNM- WOW WE FINISHED A GAME AND WON ON THE ROAD WE MIGHT ACTUALLY BE GOOD AGAIN
NMSU- WE MADE SOME AWFUL PLAY CALLS AND OUR DEFENSE MIGHT BE BAD BUT HEY NONE OF US THOUGHT WE'D WIN MORE THAN 3. so we are all good.
TROY: OH EM GEE WE BEAT A TOP 30 TEAM EXTEND GILL WE ARE GONNA GO TO A BOWL!
ISU: OMG WE REALLY MIGHT GO TO A BOWL EVEN THOUGH WE GAVE UP AN UNGODLY AMOUNT OF YARDS TO AN FCS SCHOOL AND BARELY WON! but hey that isu team is a pretty good team so BOWL PREDICTIONS!
UMASS: Gill faithful: "well none of you guys thought we'd win more than 3 so put that in your pipe and smoke it!"
Fans on the fence: FIRE GILL BURN IT TO THE GROUND AND REBUILD!
Fans who have been on the fire gill train from the beginning: "Is this the part where I put I told you so?"
By tyndal23
flameshaw wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:On top of that we have not been embarrassed or blown out and show that we aren’t as far from FBS ready in a transition year as most expected. N Texas and Army scores were deceiving - we beat Troy who is a top G5 team - if we get run out of the building against UVA and Auburn that will give us a better idea of level of FBS ready. I think we play them a lot closer than expected - ( there are lower ranked spread offenses that would destroy us - but simply based on their offensive schemes I think we play them pretty tough - UVA at least... ) . Yes, it doesn’t take away sting from 2 games we should have won, but big picture we have a good foundation. Defense has to travel to win FBS road games and our 1 road win they played 1 good half and it was “just” enough. As for D next year - I would take a good D Line as foundation and have to worry about filling in LB and secondary skill players from JUCO and recruiting vs the other way around. Even if no changes are made, I think next year sets up pretty solid for LU. 2020 is an entirely different deal.
You need to stop using that Bacardi in your kool-aid. Or at least reduce the alcohol ratio from 99% to 60 or 70%.
Which part do you disagree with ? We return 100% of our offense ( Stubbs for King is a push ) with better backs coming in. Our O is 16 and 26 in the nation in PPG and YPG. Our D Line is good and has depth. We have 1 stud LB, 1 good Safety, - missing 3 players in 2nd and 3rd level which much easier to find than D Linemen in JUCO ranks.
By CCWMichael
One: tackles are not a great indicator of defensive line quality but of our top ten tacklers only three are linemen.
Also, our run D blew last year and blows this year. Starts at the line no questions asked and I would suspect anyone giving a review for the next two games suspects we will even begin to stop the run.
To use a partial quote I heard this weekend, it looks like our guys are trying to tackle bars of soap.
Our recruiting rank is like 130.
Are we keeping the same coaching?
No changes made, IMHO, we will still blow.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:On top of that we have 1. not been embarrassed or blown out and show that we aren’t as far from FBS ready in a transition year as most expected. 2.N Texas and Army scores were deceiving - we beat Troy who is a top G5 team - if we get run out of the building against UVA and Auburn that will give us a better idea of level of FBS ready. I think we play them a lot closer than expected - ( there are lower ranked spread offenses that would destroy us - but simply based on their offensive schemes I think we play them pretty tough - UVA at least... ) . Yes, it doesn’t take away sting from 2 games we should have won, but big picture 3.we have a good foundation. Defense has to travel to win FBS road games and our 1 road win they played 1 good half and it was “just” enough. As for D next year - I would take a good D Line as foundation and have to worry about filling in LB and secondary skill players from JUCO and recruiting vs the other way around. 4.Even if no changes are made, I think next year sets up pretty solid for LU. 2020 is an entirely different deal.

Which part do you disagree with ? We return 100% of our offense ( Stubbs for King is a push ) with better backs coming in. Our O is 16 and 26 in the nation in PPG and YPG. Our D Line is good and has depth. We have 1 stud LB, 1 good Safety, - missing 3 players in 2nd and 3rd level which much easier to find than D Linemen in JUCO ranks.

1. Giving up 500+ yards a game, regardless of opponent = embarrassing.
2. Really.......... how?
3. See #1. I wouldn't want to build a thatch hut on that foundation.
4.If we don't make some big changes, we get the same results.
5. The post above makes some good points too. Some is a player problem, most of it is a coaching/scheme problem, (which is really the same problem).
By tyndal23
1. Agreed.
2. Offense put our D in bad situations all night - Army should have been 24-21 end of the 3rd. N Texas even their fan boards were saying how much closer the game felt - after 2nd rain delay our D effort completely sucked for 2 series ( we weren’t even trying to tackle and that ticked me off )
3. What sort of ranking did you expect in a transition year coming off a bad D in FCS ?
4. Big changes - Wimbo forget how to coach? I remember D was our strong suit first few years of Gill. Our secondary has taken by far the biggest turnover every year due to discipline issues. Troy was probably the best defensive game LU has ever played - guess what -they didn’t spread us out - we are good in the box -terrible at 2nd (pass coverage ) and 3rd level ( tackling, covering, and every aspect - I can narrow that down to 3 players.
5. To stop a major passing team - but complain about 4/2/5 scheme - what scheme would you put in instead ?
6. Hey new coach - come to LU - would you rather have 11 returning offensive starters ranked in the top 25 of production with a good d line but need to upgrade secondary OR top top 25 D and entire new Offensive Line, QB, Recievers to replace ? I am pretty sure option 2 would be a much bigger selling point as a good foundation.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:1. Agreed.
2. Offense put our D in bad situations all night - Army should have been 24-21 end of the 3rd. N Texas even their fan boards were saying how much closer the game felt - after 2nd rain delay our D effort completely sucked for 2 series ( we weren’t even trying to tackle and that ticked me off )
3. What sort of ranking did you expect in a transition year coming off a bad D in FCS ?
4. Big changes - Wimbo forget how to coach? I remember D was our strong suit first few years of Gill. Our secondary has taken by far the biggest turnover every year due to discipline issues. Troy was probably the best defensive game LU has ever played - guess what -they didn’t spread us out - we are good in the box -terrible at 2nd (pass coverage ) and 3rd level ( tackling, covering, and every aspect - I can narrow that down to 3 players.
5. To stop a major passing team - but complain about 4/2/5 scheme - what scheme would you put in instead ?
6. Hey new coach - come to LU - would you rather have 11 returning offensive starters ranked in the top 25 of production with a good d line but need to upgrade secondary OR top top 25 D and entire new Offensive Line, QB, Recievers to replace ? I am pretty sure option 2 would be a much bigger selling point as a good foundation.
I disagree with your perspective on every point but #1. That doesn't really matter, everyone has an opinion. I am not going to spend a lot of time going through each point.
I will express a view on one though. Wimbo (and by extension TG), has never been a good coach at LU. We did have a better defense when TG first arrived here, mainly because of Rocco's recruits and coaching skills. But we have been steadily getting worse every year.
I was speaking to a former SEC coach today and this topic came up. Do you think FSU all of a sudden just started sucking? Did they suddenly just have a few years of bad recruiting and not have the players they used to get? No, it is virtually the same quality of players, the coaching is just horrible. IMVVVHO, it is not the LU quality of players so much. We have a decent group of players. We just have a coaching staff that doesn't know how to motivate them, use them effectively and put them in bad situations to excel. I believe if we had the same exact players that we have had the last 6-7 years, with a good coach, we would be looking at 10+ more wins easily. That is just my opinion and it is entirely subjective, but based on a significant body of work, I believe it is hard to argue otherwise.
By tyndal23
I am not a big fan of this staff based on FCS inconsistent performance either, I think my expectations were a lot lower headed in to this year thinking both of our Lines would get blown off the ball ( which is the biggest difference in FCS and FBS ). I would never have dreamed we could look back and say we should have been 8-4. I expected us to hang in to the 3rd quarter and lose 4th quarter most every game due to depth. Next year is our 1st official FBS season and the cupboard is a lot fuller EVEN if we don’t make a change. If scheme is the culprit for D and a HC who won’t let his D live tackle in practice - then next year wont be better. However, I think it is more player personnel in the secondary and LB pass coverage when we are spread out and can be dramatically better with 3 players. 2020 will be ugly no matter who the HC is simply from the players we lose ( O line is the toughest and takes the longest to get playing well - we lose an entire group who has played 4 years together )
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
I think our corners are bad... maybe just the entire secondary. It has been a problem for several years. Nothing better than blowing your assignment one down and then celebrating after making a tackle on a big gain a few downs later.. A team doesn't have time to gain 777 yards by running through the line. Tighten the secondary and we probably have 2 less losses.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am no defensive Guru, but using a 4-2-5 scheme isn't a good scheme in my opinion. I like 4-3-4, and blitz most every play.
By Class of 20Something
Has anyone mentioned that Wood looks massive on the field? Like, way bigger than his stats say. He looked like NFL tight end material. I'd like to see how consistent his hands are.
By Ewglenn
ballcoach15 wrote:I am no defensive Guru, but using a 4-2-5 scheme isn't a good scheme in my opinion. I like 4-3-4, and blitz most every play.
The 4-3-4 has, and always will be imo, been the best defensive scheme. It is a balanced defense that mostly bends but doesn’t break.

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]