Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:I know many will disagree, but know matter how bad it is this year or how bad the coaching is, you shouldn’t fire this man or his staff mid season. It’s just not the right thing to do and frankly I find it to be disrespectful and personal. If he is going to be seperayed, give him the respect of finishing the season. He deserves that. It won’t change the results of this year either way really...
I don’t know what replacing a HC at this point in the season accomplishes. If you replace a Coordinator that would make sense if the HC is sticking around. If you want to replace the HC for next season there’s no real advantage of doing it until the end of the year at this point
By BigRed1
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Old Red wrote:True. It shows we want to be part of the club. But our record over the past few seasons of FCS, plus what we appear to doing this year, makes me question the commitment to building a great program.
Why? There’s nothing that’s been done that has shown anything but the biggest commitment to building a great program.
I think it’s what hasn’t been done that shows we’re not truly committed to building a great program.
By Old Red
If changes aren’t made at the end of this season, I think it tells our fans, students, & recruits that we are okay with mediocrity as long as it’s on a big stage.
Clearly, my frustration is showing tonight. But, it’s also been there for a few years.
It’s the big commitment in all the other areas that really puts a spotlight on it.
By BigRed1
Old Red wrote:If changes aren’t made at the end of this season, I think it tells our fans, students, & recruits that we are okay with mediocrity as long as it’s on a big stage.
Clearly, my frustration is showing tonight. But, it’s also been there for a few years.
It’s the big commitment in all the other areas that really puts a spotlight on it.
Agree 100%
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Anybody feel like Juwan Wells has underperformed this year. I have been watching him a little more closely the last few weeks and the extra weight he put on has slowed his pass rush and containment ability. I am in now way saying he has gotten worse as a player, just that he at times has looked out-matched.

Jessie Lemonier, Solomon Ajayi, Jeremy Peters have been the best players on our defense for sure this year. It is going to be fun watching Austin Lewis grow too. He gets better every week.

I can sum up this game in one word, DISAPPOINTED.

59 points should always be enough to win!
I posted similar during the game. Wells was either hurt or super slow. He also quit a few times in pursuit of the ball carrier.
By Jonathan Carone
BigRed1 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Old Red wrote:True. It shows we want to be part of the club. But our record over the past few seasons of FCS, plus what we appear to doing this year, makes me question the commitment to building a great program.
Why? There’s nothing that’s been done that has shown anything but the biggest commitment to building a great program.
I think it’s what hasn’t been done that shows we’re not truly committed to building a great program.
Only if you don’t know the context of why those changes haven’t been made. After 2014, the entire staff had their staffs guaranteed for multiple years. Because of that, we would’ve had to buy out the head coach and the entire staff. It would’ve been $3-$4 million to make that change. We can be committed to building a great program and fiscally responsible at the same time.
By Jonathan Carone
Old Red wrote:If changes aren’t made at the end of this season, I think it tells our fans, students, & recruits that we are okay with mediocrity as long as it’s on a big stage.
I can get behind that thought. This is a make or break year because you can’t go into a lame duck year.
By tyndal23
Unless Ian has a guy on tap and willing to push all in against JFJR- Gill has another year. You fire him last year not this year during a transition and give him his senior class of 2019 and then evaluate. Way too many built in excuses for this year and he has already matched win total by nearly everyone on this boards expectations. Again, I remind everyone of $25 million sitting out there that was going to Conf USA if they accepted us - 1-3 $million isn’t going to make leadership flinch on a buyout if required. Fiscal responsibility has no bearing on our football program and thank goodness we are the 1% that can say that at our current level.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
It was the end of the second quarter that was hard to swallow. About 2 minutes left, it looks like we were playing to run out the clock, and two runs up the middle, 3rd & 8. Then we say...well maybe we better throw it...to a pass to the sticks, but about 40 yards downfield. Allows Umass to save their timeout for the fg at the end of the half. :(

If you're going to be agressive, come out throwing on 1st down. If you are going to run clock, run clock. Grrrrrrrr
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
If you are going to make a change...I'm not saying we should or not...but if you are...I think back to when Rick Reeves left the Women's basketball team and Carey Green was hired to take over. The Wilkerson twins were seniors and I think and having them still there for Coach Green in year one set him up for success. Next year we should still have Buckshot and Golden. If someone new came in, some of the pieces are already there. The year after next will be a rebuilding year, and it would really put a new coach behind the 8 ball.
By tyndal23
If LU ends up 6-6 then no way you can fire TG and not look sketchy - IF they lose to NMSU or heaven forbid Norfolk - then you have a little bit of cover - but in reality not much. I don’t care too much over the next year or 3 unless we dip below 4 wins, I am mainly concerned with Big Picture - Where are we going ? Who do we want to be in 6-10 years and what is the road map to get there. - P5 equivalent or bust baby !!!!!
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:This year has shown me you can get recruits to Liberty and win at Libery but you can’t win consistently with this staff. We legit could be 6-2 with a shot at an 8-4 season.

But we aren’t.
This. Umass might be the worst opponent outside of Norfolk state we play all year.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Also i find it funny that two posters who have been overly critical of those of us who happen to not be drinking the kool aid are suddenly absent from this thread. Yea I’m looking at you @Ri and @ TH.....
By Ewglenn
flamesfilmguy wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:This year has shown me you can get recruits to Liberty and win at Libery but you can’t win consistently with this staff. We legit could be 6-2 with a shot at an 8-4 season.

But we aren’t.
This. Umass might be the worst opponent outside of Norfolk state we play all year.
NMSU is way worse. Umass has been competitive against a difficult G5 schedule. Their receiver is a legitimate NFL talent. NMSU has half the talent of the UMASS team and we made them look unstoppable. I was a firm believer in Idaho St and still don’t think they are as bad as NMSU.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Our D has some talented players. They played better in stretches today then totally collapsed. Coaches made it harder by going conservative on O. You cannot put it on our D to win it down the stretch.

I give Coach Gill a lot of credit for taking the blame and it actually gives me a glimmer of hope we cab get better from here. 600 and 700 hundred back to back defensive performances, this one coming off a bye week, are hard to do. Far less talented teams could hold these two opponents to less. One caveat: Not many could keep up with #5.

Bottom line: as DC you cannot have your squad look so epically dismal against poor competition and keep you job. We don't have the talent and depth we need moving forward but I really believe these same players with proper coaching, instruction, and discipline could give up half the yardage game in and game out.

I want to be careful how this comes across but I am glad we lost. If we had won there would be an element who would sweep this under the rug and try to shame us with "look at the scoreboard, record, etc" "you are just haters""your expectations are too high". I just want to see well played games. I expected us to lose games this season. I expected depth to be an issue. I expected talent gaps to exist. But I also expected us to give our best effort, play fundamentally solid, play with passion and pride, and play intelligently. The record does not disappoint me. The execution does.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:Also i find it funny that two posters who have been overly critical of those of us who happen to not be drinking the kool aid are suddenly absent from this thread. Yea I’m looking at you @Ri and @ TH.....
Crashed a little early last night. Long day ahead of me, I'm driving up for the basketball game later.

We are in our transition season and have recruited a respectable FBS offence but we are missing a couple of pieces on defence. The guys we have play their tails off, no lack of effort. If any of them read this, thank you! ..... Remember UMass's FBS defence gave up 59 yesterday, so it happens. PH's post on Gill and how his players feel about him will allow us to recruit the missing pieces. If we win our last two games and finish 6-6 hats off to Turner.

Haven't read everything on here yet, but if it hasn't been mentioned the Eleven Sports crew did a great job on the game. Very entertaining. Channel surfers with no dog in the fight, had a hard time changing channels I'm sure. :football
By Class of 20Something
I think my biggest issue is that our forecasted problems are not our problems.

Before the season we all thought our issues would be:

Total Depth getting exposed late in games
Offensive Line
Running Backs
All Defensive position groups

The reality is, players have stepped up in every group on the field. Buckshot had 5-6 seconds to throw many times last night.
Mike Brown has an entire stable of lethal running backs.
We have a pass rush, linebacker depth, and sufficient defensive backs.

Our woes have been entirely on game management, game planning, adjustments, and play calling.

This is our seventh season with HCTG. These woes are not acceptable at this point in time. I don't think the transition matters any more. The athletic department needs to communicate to the fan base that allowing 1400 yards to an FCS and low level FBS independent isn't meeting the standards set for the coaches.

By not making a change, they are telling us this is acceptable.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
If HCTG made a change at DC, how many of you would be satisfied? Honest question.
By Neo
tyndal23 wrote:Unless Ian has a guy on tap and willing to push all in against JFJR- Gill has another year. You fire him last year not this year during a transition and give him his senior class of 2019 and then evaluate. Way too many built in excuses for this year and he has already matched win total by nearly everyone on this boards expectations. Again, I remind everyone of $25 million sitting out there that was going to Conf USA if they accepted us - 1-3 $million isn’t going to make leadership flinch on a buyout if required. Fiscal responsibility has no bearing on our football program and thank goodness we are the 1% that can say that at our current level.
I think you severely underestimate how badly this school loathes paying its employees...particularly ones that no longer work here. You also severely overestimate our financial situation. It’s good and all, but.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:If HCTG made a change at DC, how many of you would be satisfied? Honest question.
This season or next? As I’ve stated it doesn’t really make sense at this point if Gill isn’t going to be around next year
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Neo wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:Unless Ian has a guy on tap and willing to push all in against JFJR- Gill has another year. You fire him last year not this year during a transition and give him his senior class of 2019 and then evaluate. Way too many built in excuses for this year and he has already matched win total by nearly everyone on this boards expectations. Again, I remind everyone of $25 million sitting out there that was going to Conf USA if they accepted us - 1-3 $million isn’t going to make leadership flinch on a buyout if required. Fiscal responsibility has no bearing on our football program and thank goodness we are the 1% that can say that at our current level.
I think you severely underestimate how badly this school loathes paying its employees...particularly ones that no longer work here. You also severely overestimate our financial situation. It’s good and all, but.
You should change your name to Hammer, cause you nailed it
By Class of 20Something
JK37 wrote:If HCTG made a change at DC, how many of you would be satisfied? Honest question.
It would pacify me for a year. I would want to see Singletary and Bookbinder gone as well though. Bookbinder cannot recruit an LB from hight school. He has taken secondary stars the past two years and jucos to cover up this failure.

It really depends on what our intent is this off season.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
I’d be satisfied at this point in time. Much frustrates me about Gill and game management but this would be a great start.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Im always here.

Defense was horrible. Headed to UVA Saturday to see if we can get back on the bowl eligibility train.
LaTech

We are halfway through the season, yet we are stil[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]