Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Just remember, ten years ago today Liberty lost 31-28 to Presby. No matter where we are, or where we should be, thank God we aren't where we were.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
FCS last year and FBS this year with a shot at a bowl game and sitting at 4-3! Not to mention we would be 5-3 had Norfolk state game not been postponed. What a blessing the 2018 football season has been so far. Looking forward to another victory on Saturday!
By cruzan_flame13
So we’re going to ignore games like St. Francis like that didn’t happen because we are 4-3 so far this season? Hmm I see a continuation of mediocrity if we continue down this path. Apparently coaches should not be accountable whatsoever at Liberty.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:So we’re going to ignore games like St. Francis like that didn’t happen because we are 4-3 so far this season? Hmm I see a continuation of mediocrity if we continue down this path. Apparently coaches should not be accountable whatsoever at .
:lol: :lol: :lol:
By Class of 20Something
I am far from a Gill apologist. I was tweeting for him to be out at the beginning of the 2016 season. That said.

The Boom or Bust swings of this Gill lead team have pushed us into some massive moments.

First FCS playoff win - Gill
First Consecutive seasons with FBS wins - Gill(2014-15 App St- GaSt)(2017-18 Baylor-3 wins this season.)
First P5 win - Gill
First Bowl Win - ?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:So we’re going to ignore games like St. Francis like that didn’t happen because we are 4-3 so far this season? Hmm I see a continuation of mediocrity if we continue down this path. Apparently coaches should not be accountable whatsoever at Liberty.
No but why do you think that defines his tenure more than say beating Baylor, Troy or JMU?
By Jonathan Carone
cruzan_flame13 wrote:So we’re going to ignore games like St. Francis like that didn’t happen because we are 4-3 so far this season? Hmm I see a continuation of mediocrity if we continue down this path. Apparently coaches should not be accountable whatsoever at Liberty.
If you can't give Gill credit for this season then you lose all respectability when it comes to talking about his negatives. Going 6-6 or 7-5 in the first year of FBS play is not a continuation of mediocrity. It's in the top 25% of all first year FBS programs. He deserves credit for what's going on this year.

As for the topic of this thread - I still remember the exact place I was sitting when I saw the score that we lost that game. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that we would win so I didn't even bother listening to it.
By cruzan_flame13
Jonathan Carone wrote:
If you can't give Gill credit for this season then you lose all respectability when it comes to talking about his negatives. Going 6-6 or 7-5 in the first year of FBS play is not a continuation of mediocrity. It's in the top 25% of all first year FBS programs. He deserves credit for what's going on this year.

As for the topic of this thread - I still remember the exact place I was sitting when I saw the score that we lost that game. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that we would win so I didn't even bother listening to it.
I already stated before that I give some credit for winning some games, especially he Troy game. At this point, it doesn't matter if I lose respect from you or anyone at this point based on facts. Gill is not a consistent coach and he's being paid more than he deserve. He's not the candidate to have as a coach for the long term when anyone can see that most of his winning seasons were tied in one of the weakest conference in the FCS. Sure it looks good so far during our first season in FBS, but his time here has been mediocre overall and that's by his actions. I gave him credit for some wins, but wouldn't waste time keeping him here because of a decent inaugural season; if we actually want to push forward with the vision of playing teams like USC, ND and others. Anywho, that's just my opinion on the long term vision of the football program. Ian McCaw knows more than myself when it comes to making those decisions.
By Class of 20Something
I think HCTGs ceiling is 7-5 at FBS. That is probably respectable for us in the next three seasons. Short term, he is sufficient to continue to recruit to a full roster of FBS talent and keep us from embarrassing ourselves. There are four teams that have never been to a bowl and seven more that have been but not won.

Long term, I don't think he is the answer to get us into a P5 level, but I think he can get us to a bowl game.

6-5 in FCS is sub par. 7-5 in FBS is a perennial bowl team.
By LUOrange
We're 4-3 right now and with a very good chance at being bowl eligible in our 2nd year of FBS transition. We've got a must win tomorrow. Can we hold off on the Fire Gill/Gill's not good enough at least until after we've lost?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I think HCTGs ceiling is 7-5 at FBS. That is probably respectable for us in the next three seasons. Short term, he is sufficient to continue to recruit to a full roster of FBS talent and keep us from embarrassing ourselves. There are four teams that have never been to a bowl and seven more that have been but not won.

Long term, I don't think he is the answer to get us into a P5 level, but I think he can get us to a bowl game.

6-5 in FCS is sub par. 7-5 in FBS is a perennial bowl team.
Lots of teams would love to consistently e 7-5. Ask our friends in Charlottesville
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If we end up 7-5, Gill should be National Coach of the Year

(Nick Saban runner-up)
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Let's say the unthinkable happens: We beat Umass, either UVA or Auburn, NMSU and NSU and we finish 8-4 then win our first bowl game to finish at 9-4!

Does Gill deserve to be in National Coach of the Year conversation???
By Class of 20Something
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Let's say the unthinkable happens: We beat Umass, either UVA or Auburn, NMSU and NSU and we finish 8-4 then win our first bowl game to finish at 9-4!

Does Gill deserve to be in National Coach of the Year conversation???

Beating a ranked Virginia with this team would probably put him in that conversation by itself.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I was told that last night's game vs Pittsburgh was a trap game for UVA. They were looking ahead to facing LU's aerial attack.
By LU 57
Not looking past UMass, butI hope our defensive staff watches plenty of tape on how Pitt was able to shut down a solid UVA running game. Obviously, the rain was a big factor.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
In my opinion, UVA has been playing over their head recently. That and the fact ACC is really bad this season. I watched a few replays this morning. To me, they looked slow.
At any rate, we need to not let Perkins beat us. We need to flatten him on every play, and make him wish he was back in Arizona or where ever he came from.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I was told that last night's game vs Pittsburgh was a trap game for UVA. They were looking ahead to facing LU's aerial attack.
:lol: :lol:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I was told that last night's game vs Pittsburgh was a trap game for UVA. They were looking ahead to facing LU's aerial attack.
You were right that Pitt would win but the rest of this post I'm not sure if you're being serious or not.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Just passing on what I was told this morning,
#sources
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]