Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Dalegarz1
Very well done Duke! It's hard to believe we could be talking about a bowl game this year. Having said this, and excuse my pessimism, I'm waiting for and expecting, based on the Gill years, a semi-collapse as we finish the season. Nobody hopes I'm wrong more than me-however.... experience is the best predictor.
By rtb72
Excellent break-down. At first I didn't think it would be remotely possible considering the number of pieces that had to fall into place...but based on the schematic, there are 27 teams 2 or less losses away from elimination, with 7 already over the hump. That's 34 right there! It actually makes me hopeful and gives the team something to really shoot for. Thanks again for posting this. Has any 2nd year transition team been to a bowl game in the past...based on these rules or as a result of too many teams being eliminated?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:The odds aren’t as bad as I thought they would be at first as well. Been breaking things down after Thursday’s games, I will have an update early next week with more in depth projections.
I refuse to start reading this until we get by UMass. :lol: :lol: :lol:
By LUDad
BuryYourDuke wrote:I think that’s a perfectly rational policy. However, when you produce content for this fan base...
Good job. However, I think you can go one step further...Our contractural agreement, assuming we win 5 BCS games and 6 overall, allows us to go to the Cure bowl as long as the AAC & SB cannot fill all their bowl slots. In that instance, I seriously doubt there will be any 7 win teams or teams with 6 BCS wins fighting to get our Cure Bowl slot. Therefore, my main concern is how the teams in those two conferences are doing. Perhaps you could do a subset featuring just those two conferences.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here are the full standings for the Sun Belt and American after yesterday:

The Sun Belt currently has 1 team automatically bowl eligible (GaSou) and two others on the cusp (App State and Troy, who we beat) with three others on 4 wins (Louisiana-Monroe, Coastal and Arkansas State).

The American has 4 teams automatically bowl eligible (# 10 UCF, #21 USF, Cincinnati and Houston), with one team on the cusp (Temple) and one on 4 wins (Memphis)

Our best bet is if the Sun Belt comes to up short

Coastal plays one team on 4 wins (Arkansas State) in their final 5 games, but also faces bowl eligible GaSou and 5 win App State after Georgia State this week
Arkansas State, in addition to Coastal, gets 4 win Louisiana-Monroe and 3 win ULL.
ULM, who only.has 4 games left, gets GaSou this weekend.

In short, we need to be rooting for the #FunBelt to be beating each other up these last 5 games behind GaSou, Troy and App State
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The defending National Champions, UCF, will probably be in a New Years 6 game which would take one team out of the AAC pool of teams which is probably why Coastal/LU is more likely to happen than LU/Houston or any other AAC team.
BuryYourDuke wrote:My understanding is that this season (as we are still in transition), even the Cure Bowl would have to select an eligible full FBS member first. Next year, the rules about AAC/Sunbelt go into effect.
But would there be enough eligible teams to fill anyway? The Cure bowl is near the bottom and would probably be one of the last to snag an at large team.
By LUDad
BuryYourDuke wrote:My understanding is that this season (as we are still in transition), even the Cure Bowl would have to select an eligible full FBS member first. Next year, the rules about AAC/Sunbelt go into effect.

"Liberty announced Thursday it entered a two-year bowl agreement with the AutoNation Cure Bowl for the 2018 and 2019 football seasons.

The Flames will serve as a secondary option for the Cure Bowl if the Sun Belt and American Athletic conferences do not have enough eligible teams to fill their bowl tie-ins."

https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/libe ... 24739.html

"Although Liberty is currently in the middle of its two-year FBS transition process, the NCAA bylaws do have provisions for the Flames to qualify for a bowl game in 2018 provided the program has successfully transitioned to year two of its FBS transitional status and is a deserving team."

https://augustafreepress.com/liberty-au ... 2018-2019/

Duke, with all due respect, the above quotes from the News Advance & Augusta Free Press seems to contradict your understanding. The contract is "specifically" for two years, 2018 & 2019. Why sign a two year contract that specifically states that Liberty is a secondary option if the two conferences do not have enough eligible teams if the terms of the contract do not apply for one of those two years? I submit that as long as Liberty is a "deserving team", the contract will trump other "deserving teams" unless they have a better record.
Last edited by LUDad on October 30th, 2018, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuryYourDuke wrote:We will check into this to get you the most accurate answer possible. With that being said, we have a contract with the Cure Bowl. However, they cannot violate the NCAA rules regarding bowl eligibility. Again, as it has been explained to me by people that would know, That would mean in 2018 52 teams have to be ineligible before we can be selected.

But we will definitely check into it.
Man, I hope we can get a quote from someone at the Cure Bowl to clarify this and give us a clear answer. It's a huge difference between the three possible outcomes of 6+ wins.

6 wins(5 FBS + 1 FCS)
6 wins(4 FBS + 2 FCS)
7 wins(5 FBS + 2 FCS)

If the Augusta Free Press article is taken literally, at face value, we complete our transition after the NSU game.
By LUDad
Class of 20Something wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:We will check into this to get you the most accurate answer possible. With that being said, we have a contract with the Cure Bowl. However, they cannot violate the NCAA rules regarding bowl eligibility. Again, as it has been explained to me by people that would know, That would mean in 2018 52 teams have to be ineligible before we can be selected.

Man, I hope we can get a quote from someone at the Cure Bowl to clarify this and give us a clear answer. It's a huge difference between the three possible outcomes of 6+ wins.

6 wins(5 FBS + 1 FCS)
6 wins(4 FBS + 2 FCS)
7 wins(5 FBS + 2 FCS)

If the Augusta Free Press article is taken literally, at face value, we complete our transition after the NSU game.
I believe all fcs wins beyond one are discarded when considering bowl teams. Thus, it behoves us to only schedule 1 fcs team going forward (aside from the 2019 schedule which already has two).
LUDad wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:

6 wins(5 FBS + 1 FCS)
6 wins(4 FBS + 2 FCS)
7 wins(5 FBS + 2 FCS)

I believe all fcs wins beyond one are discarded when considering bowl teams. Thus, it behoves us to only schedule 1 fcs team going forward (aside from the 2019 schedule which already has two).
Absolutely. The transition only required 3 FBS home games this season, so we could have had as many as 3.
BuryYourDuke wrote:My above post doesn’t reference the eligible win total for a reason.

EDIT: That reason is because we have to have 5 FBS wins plus 1 FCS.
Understood. I'm just saying there is a huge difference in those three results.
By LUDad
BuryYourDuke wrote:Yes, we were required in transition to have 3 FBS home games. That requirement is unrelated to bowl eligibility.

After to speaking to a couple of people, including Manson, IF we get 2 more FBS wins (giving us 6 total eligible wins, meaning 5 FBS + 1 FCS that can count) the Cure Bowl would select us before any 5-7 teams. However, their hands would be tied this season if there are any 6-6 teams without a bowl invite. We need 52 ineligible FBS members for that to happen.
Thus, the Cure Bowl contract is completely worthless this year since we would automatically be selected for a bowl before a 5-7 team anyway...
By CCWMichael
LUDad wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:Yes, we were required in transition to have 3 FBS home games. That requirement is unrelated to bowl eligibility.

After to speaking to a couple of people, including Manson, IF we get 2 more FBS wins (giving us 6 total eligible wins, meaning 5 FBS + 1 FCS that can count) the Cure Bowl would select us before any 5-7 teams. However, their hands would be tied this season if there are any 6-6 teams without a bowl invite. We need 52 ineligible FBS members for that to happen.
Thus, the Cure Bowl contract is completely worthless this year since we would automatically be selected for a bowl before a 5-7 team anyway...
The only possibel things I could imagine is the institution wants post season games in Florida, or there is some play going on with bowl contratcs ending in 2020.
By CCWMichael
ballcoach15 wrote:Only good bowl venues are Florida, Louisiana or Atlanta.
My guess would be youve never been to Texas and spent time Deep Ellum and Market Street not to mention what Fort Worth offers.
Pheonix offers great food in Scotsdale and throw in a trip to the Grand Canyon and there is so much more. I resided in the South West for many years so my view may be slanted, but I believe the hospitality of the South West and the Plains States are hard to beat.

San Antonio and the river walk to begin .... this city is active!
By LUDad

If we become a deserving team, I think JFJR should call the WH and obtain another waiver...
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]