Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By tyndal23
Because BYU even though they are Indy, they really aren’t desperate for us to add a yearly game to their schedule if it means traveling 2.6k miles - they are the #2 2016 and # 3 2017 biggest home attendance of any team in the West ( behind USC and UCLA and ahead of rest of pac 12. IF the reason they wont auto ad 6-8 games with LU is distance - this gives them a reason to play us every year - we go there 1 - they come to Dallas 1 - ( still counts as our home game ) we get exposure and ability to host all the Dallas are recruits - they get a great venue ). This is a complete gimmick for LU nothing more - I am not looking at this through lense of LU being big time - only short/mid term exposure and recruiting - IF BYU was willing to come every other year then of course it wouldn’t make sense...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Is the Mormon school still open in Buena Vista?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Yes, according to their website, Southern Virginia University is alive and well (they used to have a really good Quiz Bowl team of married, older students).

Wikipedia says SVU has 928 students and is in the D3 Capital Athletic Conference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_A ... Conference
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Have no idea how old you are, but it was probably better back in those days.
27. It was no better. Those close to the university could get a sunburn on the bottoms of their nose.
Last time I up there it was raining and water was getting in their noses.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Logic wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:LOL.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d16 ... 333.90.asp

Take a look at see that the endowment grew by 733% from the beginning to the end of fiscal year 2015.

That's a change in accounting. We all know that the endowment at LU isn't accounted for the same way it is at other universities.

Most of the time it's an apples and oranges argument to compare our endowment to other schools.
Yes and no. Reread my post. We had a billion in cash. It wasn’t an official endowment as recognized by the IRS. Our IRS endowment was 126 million as you can see. Then yes - went to over a billion. That was the cash officially sunk into the endowment.

Either way...we have 1.6 billion or so that isn’t land or buildings.

Awesome...we have 1.6 million in proceeds from student loans. In the typical educational institution, this is called income.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:As for UVA game, I think many fans thought we would get beat bad, thus did not make the voyage to Hooville.
Which is kind of the point. If the regular fan doesn’t believe a trip to Charlottesville is worthwhile, whose going to Dallas?

You, Ballcoach, are not the regular fan.
By tyndal23
Has zero to do with the local Lynchburg crowd - and everything to do with national marketing and recruiting - Lynchburg wont support LU period - will take a top 25 brand team to get any kind of support and still the numbers aren’t there based on population - hence the 5 home games and the 7 game big boy philosophy. LU is a National Online Brand with fans in every state and the $ is in online not local - push the envelope, brand and max out the window we have now -
By Jonathan Carone
In the decade since the online school boom, we haven’t seen the gigantic away game attendance from online students you’re talking about. The majority of those students have no connection to Liberty other than it being a means to an end for them.
By tyndal23
I don’t care about attendance from LU in Jerry World just the fact we get 20-30 Dallas Area Recruits there of which 15 come on to LU for a visit - it will most certainly be a home game in all other aspects for BYU. The point is if BYU ain’t coming otherwise and they would still like an INDY regular schedule but see an upside to it - then hey why not... BTW - I saw and conversed with people at Baylor 2 years ago that never stepped foot on LU but graduated and had their kid decked out in LU gear...
By rtb72
With all the talk about attendance, it renews my curiosity about how strong we might pull for a bowl game. While I know it's a "bowl game" and that might be a bit more hoopla.....would we have a decent showing for our team. I think this may very well be a consideration in the not to distant future. Granted it won't be a major bowl....but a bowl game nonetheless. And how our fan base responds can certainly play into future invites. Just curious to hear others thoughts.
By tyndal23
Here is even an a more in depth proposal - secure 10 years of Cowboy Stadium in advance for weekend before Thanksgiving ( or whenever u want ) for an LU / opponent invite. You build a tradition and establish a recruiting foothold in top 3 zip codes and # 1 venue and invite Army, BYU, whomever and they all count as a home game vs. an FCS or whatever when no students come anyway....Call me Jerry F. , I have direct connect to Jerry J. - :)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Here is even an a more in depth proposal - secure 10 years of Cowboy Stadium in advance for weekend before Thanksgiving ( or whenever u want ) for an LU / opponent invite. You build a tradition and establish a recruiting foothold in top 3 zip codes and # 1 venue and invite Army, BYU, whomever and they all count as a home game vs. an FCS or whatever when no students come anyway....Call me Jerry F. , I have direct connect to Jerry J. - :)
Go to bed. You’re drunk
By tyndal23
ha - sober but seriously - no colleges use it in Oct or early Nov - Jerry J loves CFB games there. Makes way more sense than a crap FCS game in Lynchburg - use the venue to attract big teams but get the attendance #’s applied to you as the home team, recruits on your sideline and let the big team get home field advantage in attendance - win/win.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Us online alum do exist and we likely will play a bigger role as the FBS transition matures. You can't expect onliners to be pumped for a Big South schedule but a few wins against household names may awaken a sleeping giant.

That being said, I'm in Wisconsin so I don't get to attend many games, and I really don't care if we play BYU at all. Frankly BYU is not that big of deal to the average fan up here. Liberty just needs to have one great season and I think fans will start piling on the bandwagon.
By tyndal23
Cowboy Stadium hosts all types of events and usually the lower tier is televised for HS Championships etc - you need 40k or so to make it viewable - BYU will be 90 percent of that ( hence the enticement to treat it as a road game for them ). Way better by a factor of 60 for LU than a home game with 3500 people that they lie about being 14k in the stands weekend before Thanksgiving...Use the Dallas game and attendance for a home game, recruiting and take an jerk beating until we don’t...
By tyndal23
In case you kids forget what my ultimate prize is and reason for skippping the 20 year puragatory of poor school G5 crap league and pushing for P5 prominence and fastest way to get there based on the fact that we are private school with a lot of $ and a Pro Footballl Prez who has all the power - ( completely unique in Colleges across America ) with no public pressure/oversight, little board pressure and ability to will in to existence a top 25 Football Existence - based on a National Evangilaical Conservative Brand which happens to be a major factor in current politics, etc, etc. - Then all I ask i simply a 24 hour refrain from posting a knee jerk reply while you absorb the brilliance of my suggestsions such as 10 year lease on Jerry World - is that too much to ask ? :)
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:In case you kids forget what my ultimate prize is and reason for skippping the 20 year puragatory of poor school G5 crap league and pushing for P5 prominence and fastest way to get there based on the fact that we are private school with a lot of $ and a Pro Footballl Prez who has all the power - ( completely unique in Colleges across America ) with no public pressure/oversight, little board pressure and ability to will in to existence a top 25 Football Existence - based on a National Evangilaical Conservative Brand which happens to be a major factor in current politics, etc, etc. - Then all I ask i simply a 24 hour refrain from posting a knee jerk reply while you absorb the brilliance of my suggestsions such as 10 year lease on Jerry World - is that too much to ask ? :)

Jerry Bowl at Jerrry's World!
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:In the decade since the online school boom, we haven’t seen the gigantic away game attendance from online students you’re talking about. The majority of those students have no connection to Liberty other than it being a means to an end for them.
I work with several LU online students who have no idea we have a football team. Most have had a good experience though and view the school positively.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Cowboy Stadium hosts all types of events and usually the lower tier is televised for HS Championships etc - you need 40k or so to make it viewable - BYU will be 90 percent of that ( hence the enticement to treat it as a road game for them ). Way better by a factor of 60 for LU than a home game with 3500 people that they lie about being 14k in the stands weekend before Thanksgiving...Use the Dallas game and attendance for a home game, recruiting and take an jerk beating until we don’t...

Play a "dome" game somewhere. ATL, Dallas, San Antonio, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Houston, etc. whenever we need a home game on Thanksgiving weekend when the students are gone and no one would be at the game anyway. I will be a season ticket holder for the foreseeable future, but will not likely make it to any games that weekend. I might be able to make a Thanksgiving dome game every few years. Of course, there are only like three teams ever available that weekend. That I will let Ian handle.

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]