Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:What you call toxic, some of us find refreshing in his willingness to forgo political correctness.

What makes it toxic? That he isn't mainstream popular? That he ruffles feathers and is willing to insult some for what he believes? Sounds a little like, dare I say, his dad.

Progressives are so into diversity and inclusion and tolerance these days - unless you're a conservative white male. Then you don't have a right to speak, the first amendment be darned. We're more worried about what truth looks like than what it really is these days.
I agree with you if you were talking Trump
By Class of 20Something
jbock13 wrote:Considering his twitter activity, don't expect any conferences to be interested in us anytime soon.
ADs make schedules, Presidents make conferences. Jr has pretty much made us untouchable unless a conference needs an anchor school. Something that isn't going anywhere. No one will invite us right now because there is a massive anti Liberty opinion out there that they don't want to deal with.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Agreed with jk. Nobodys opinion changed. It is what it is. I continue to be amazed at how many people think were going to change the opinion of these presidents. Cmon. Wake up. Our only way in a conference is what we did then to win from there.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
If Jerry Sr were around still and he discovered Twitter, would he tweet some stuff that would be considered controversial? Probably. Would we still probably not be invited for the same reasons we are now? Probably.
#indy4life
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
YR: some people are just going to be offended no matter what. (I'm not referring to your case; I don't know enough about it to comment.) So I don't believe a leader should worry about offending someone who is going to CHOOSE to be offended no matter what. And that's where I believe many of these higher ed CEO's are.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
In my case, he called me a liar and said that I have zero credibiliity during the whole LCA/LU scholarship fiasco. When I responded with facts and documentation, he never replied.

My point is, it seems that Junior rushes to judgement in an effort to insult others and those insults aren't always grounded in reality. I don't care who it is, but that's never a good quality in a leader.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Thank you, YR. I know it can't have been easy to go into detail, and I can appreciate that was a very difficult situation.

I don't believe it is Jr's desire to insult. Instead, I believe he doesn't care if he insults in his desire to speak truth. That's the disctinction for me. And I don't believe his opinion is always necessarily true; there are no perfect leaders. But in general, I appreciate a leader who isn't afraid to offend or even insult in the pursuit of truth. Because sometimes the offense is unavoidable. Make sense?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
JK37 wrote:What you call toxic, some of us find refreshing in his willingness to forgo political correctness.

What makes it toxic? That he isn't mainstream popular? That he ruffles feathers and is willing to insult some for what he believes? Sounds a little like, dare I say, his dad.

Progressives are so into diversity and inclusion and tolerance these days - unless you're a conservative white male. Then you don't have a right to speak, the first amendment be darned. We're more worried about what truth looks like than what it really is these days.
It's one thing when you're speaking Biblical truth and it just happens to offend people. It's an entire different thing when you like to offend people with your opinion. Also, I think you can speak out truth without insulting people. In the end, your message will be that much more stronger if you can do it in a clear, well thought out way. When you throw in insults, there are many who just won't take you seriously anymore, even if there is truth in your argument.

Having personally been on the receiving end of Junior's insults and character attacks, I can't say I really trust his judgement regarding much of anything.
Your opinion is very offensive to me, please delete your post. :roll:
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
jbock13 wrote:Considering his twitter activity, don't expect any conferences to be interested in us anytime soon.
ADs make schedules, Presidents make conferences. Jr has pretty much made us untouchable unless a conference needs an anchor school. Something that isn't going anywhere. No one will invite us right now because there is a massive anti Liberty opinion out there that they don't want to deal with.
* A Sea of Snowflakes.
Last edited by flameshaw on September 22nd, 2017, 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Thank you, YR. I know it can't have been easy to go into detail, and I can appreciate that was a very difficult situation.

I don't believe it is Jr's desire to insult. Instead, I believe he doesn't care if he insults in his desire to speak truth. That's the disctinction for me. And I don't believe his opinion is always necessarily true; there are no perfect leaders. But in general, I appreciate a leader who isn't afraid to offend or even insult in the pursuit of truth. Because sometimes the offense is unavoidable. Make sense?
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I agree that there are no perfect leaders but I do think there is a difference between letting the truth offend people (which will always happen and isn't a bad thing) and insulting individuals (not a good thing).
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
There have been naysayers saying the same type of things about LU since 1971. :roll:
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
JK37 wrote:Thank you, YR. I know it can't have been easy to go into detail, and I can appreciate that was a very difficult situation.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I agree that there are no perfect leaders but I do think there is a difference between letting the truth offend people (which will always happen and isn't a bad thing) and insulting individuals (not a good thing).
I believe in the same difference. And if Jerry Jr.'s desire is greater to offend than to speak truth, that would be wrong. It's a fine line.

I'm really glad he called out those presidents. Was there a better way? Probably. There usually is.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I recall when Dr. Falwell announced he was starting a college, some people laughed.

Go to the top of Candler's Mountain and look down now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts

JR is trying to be something he is not. His dad (and Trump) can/could get away with Tweeting like that. Some people can. Some people can't. There are settings I am awesome in. There are also settings where I avoid like the plague or just sit there quietly (shocking I know). It's about knowing your strengths and weaknesses
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I think this is a really good conversation to have.

So let me ask this: what is it in this specific instance of the "bigot" tweet that was too far? Was it just the use of that word? Was it the medium of twitter that was wholly inappropriate?

I'm really glad he called out those presidents. He could've also been speaking to the greater issue of hypocrisy in higher ad relative to the first amendment an conservative values.

What would you have done differently? Would you have spoken out but said it differently? Or kept mum totally?
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Anyway...as far as conferences go. The Big South is letting us stay as an associate member. Very happy about this! We can work on improving both football and basketball, and still have a home and a chance for tournament play for all of our other olympic sports. Kudos to the Big South for this decision. I think it works out for both.
By Class of 20Something
JK37 wrote:I think this is a really good conversation to have.

So let me ask this: what is it in this specific instance of the "bigot" tweet that was too far? Was it just the use of that word? Was it the medium of twitter that was wholly inappropriate?

I'm really glad he called out those presidents. He could've also been speaking to the greater issue of hypocrisy in higher ad relative to the first amendment an conservative values.

What would you have done differently? Would you have spoken out but said it differently? Or kept mum totally?
Let's look at it from an Employer/Employee relationship instead.

You can have an overqualified applicant that is a turd when he doesn't get his way. Unless you're desperate, hire someone else or no one at all. Sure they could match the productivity of any current employee out of the gate, but it's a culture thing.

Personally, just stay hush about it. These articles coming out from non Liberty sources were exactly what we needed. An outsider to call everyone out. Let your trophy case do the bragging. Let the campus. Let the rankings.

When was the last time Jr bragged about Jesus? It looks like he cares more about his ego and his legacy than it does making sure he acts like the president of a Christian university. Doc could get away with some of the things he said because he could back it up with scripture and would own a mistake. Let's not forget the Rev. in front of his name. Jr is a real estate lawyer(a darn good one)

I want Jr to let the evidence speak for him. There is plenty of it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:Anyway...as far as conferences go. The Big South is letting us stay as an associate member. Very happy about this! We can work on improving both football and basketball, and still have a home and a chance for tournament play for all of our other olympic sports. Kudos to the Big South for this decision. I think it works out for both.
Good move by the Big South. Which is shocking
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:I think this is a really good conversation to have.

Graciousness v Entitlement. It's an overall tone. That was the Tweet of someone who took their ball and went home to pout. It's sort of the tone of all his Tweets. But that's fine. It's his school. He can do what he wants
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Graciousness v Entitlement. It's an overall tone. That was the Tweet of someone who took their ball and went home to pout. It's sort of the tone of all his Tweets. But that's fine. It's his school. He can do what he wants
Until God, SACS, or the IRS- maybe all three- step in and remind us that it isn't his school. I am often amazed at the defense some of you put up for actions that are not defensible. You know, at the end of his leadership, questions as to Oral Roberts "ownership" of ORU were raised. Some of the parallels are interesting; political involment, involvement of family members, sense of invincibility, etc. All it took for ORU was a few profs who sued when they were terminated.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Until God, SACS, or the IRS- maybe all three- step in and remind us that it isn't his school. I am often amazed at the defense some of you put up for actions that are not defensible. You know, at the end of his leadership, questions as to Oral Roberts "ownership" of ORU were raised. Some of the parallels are interesting; political involment, involvement of family members, sense of invincibility, etc. All it took for ORU was a few profs who sued when they were terminated.
I take exception to the ORU analogy! My family has 2 Oral Roberts Bibles that contain photos of the entire family. One with each of Richards wives! we we're never forced to send back the one that had the family picture with his 1st wife! :dramaqueen
LU also doesn't have a The City of Faith. Just a Medical school.
Nor does it have the Prayer Tower. LU has an ambiguously named Tower.
LU has D.C. talk. ORU had The World Action Singers

And LU is #fbsready
By Class of 20Something
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I am often amazed at the defense some of you put up for actions that are not defensible.
I read it more as an adult dismissing the actions of a child than a defense. Especially in the context of the ball analogy.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I am often amazed at the defense some of you put up for actions that are not defensible.
I read it more as an adult dismissing the actions of a child than a defense. Especially in the context of the ball analogy.
I knew what he meant and ROG knew what I meant. BUT there are plenty of people who honestly feel that way

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]