Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I would need to use a map board to explain it..

But the ACC was a good geographical conference until they merged with Old Big East.

SEC is based in the south

Big 10 is mid west and north

Big 12 is between Big 10 and PAC 12

PAC 12 is out west.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider:

This is a true story. When was was a kid, I could never understand why Maryland was in ACC, when they were "so far north".
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Where does the Atlantic Coast stop?
Upper Nova Scotia?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Where does the Atlantic Coast stop?

Until Boston College was added, the Atlantic Coast CONFERENCE stopped in Maryland. Now granted, on shoreline it goes way up north to Canada or some place.

But according to John Swofford, it goes to South Bend, Indiana.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
The name is less important than the actual makeup of teams. A conference is whatever its leaders want it to be when it comes to being regional or national. Money and technology has obviously changed the impact of travel over the years.

I'll leave you with this. If I called a big turd a "birthday present", you should probably focus more on the fact that it's a turd and not on the fact that I called it a "birthday present."
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
But according to John Swofford, it goes to South Bend, Indiana.
Now that made me chuckle! Good one!
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:The name is less important than the actual makeup of teams. A conference is whatever its leaders want it to be when it comes to being regional or national. Money and technology has obviously changed the impact of travel over the years.

I'll leave you with this. If I called a big turd a "birthday present", you should probably focus more on the fact that it's a turd and not on the fact that I called it a "birthday present."
Post of the day, in my book.
By tyndal23
Freeze twitter today regarding Big Dave - photo shows a red liberty helmet with flames in cursive script sitting on his cabinet - can’t tell if it is an old helmet or one that is coming...
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Old. Early 80s I believe
By cruzan_flame13
ND=ACC as LU=AAC (future goal)

Add JMU or Marshall from C-USA as well and that’s 14 teams. It would be even a better deal if we continue to build and bring money good money to the table( include market, tv,etc). At least this would make us satisfied for awhile for sure and have no worries with finding games to play for the season. Also believe we could challenge teams in all sports.

Con: AAC fans believe we are hypocrites ( :roll: ) and teach pseudoscience in academics.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:I hope LU is never in same conference as JMU.
JMU should stay FCS, which I think they will.
Liberty and JMU would be rivals no only because of proximity but because the student bodies couldn’t be more philosophically opposed. The minute JMU goes FBS, they are our rival. Deeper than anything that could be manufactured for Coastal.

The crowds at either stadium would be capacity and the fans wild. If you love college football for how schools behave and fan involvement then you would love the fruits of this happening.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I hope LU is never in same conference as JMU.
JMU should stay FCS, which I think they will.
Liberty and JMU would be rivals no only because of proximity but because the student bodies couldn’t be more philosophically opposed. The minute JMU goes FBS, they are our rival. Deeper than anything that could be manufactured for Coastal.

The crowds at either stadium would be capacity and the fans wild. If you love college football for how schools behave and fan involvement then you would love the fruits of this happening.
You might not know this, but JMU has the largest chapter of InterVarsity on the state. The school has a pretty large Evangelical contingent, but they certainly are different than LU fans. They seem to have an easier time accepting folks who are not like them. Maybe they even see their school as a place to minister. Working in a secular school, I am much more impressed by the openness of Christians around me and their lack of duplicity. Maybe duplicity is just a Liberty thing.
By Class of 20Something
That’s really encouraging. I was just speaking from anecdotal experience. Granted the sample size want n=1000+ but there was some animosity displayed from most on both sides when the topic was brought up.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:That’s really encouraging. I was just speaking from anecdotal experience. Granted the sample size want n=1000+ but there was some animosity displayed from most on both sides when the topic was brought up.
The fans...as well as the fan posts don't represent the students as well as one would think. The Dukes CSN site is generally pretty crass. I spend a dai amount of time in Harrisonburg and I get a much different perspective. The former DA is a Liberty grad and is involved in a church full of students- really encouraging to see. If my kids go to a state school, JMU would be a top choice.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:ND=ACC as LU=AAC (future goal)

Add JMU or Marshall from C-USA as well and that’s 14 teams. It would be even a better deal if we continue to build and bring money good money to the table( include market, tv,etc). At least this would make us satisfied for awhile for sure and have no worries with finding games to play for the season. Also believe we could challenge teams in all sports.

Con: AAC fans believe we are hypocrites ( :roll: ) and teach pseudoscience in academics.
JMU and Marshall don’t generate high enough TV ratings to justify such a move. Of course many of us - myself included -would like this. But it just doesn’t make sense financially.
By tyndal23
My LU Schedule for near future:

G5 1 for 1
UCF, Boise, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati

P5 1 for 1 ( realistic ) and yes the $ goes the other way, but we can get these teams in here - combined with UVA, VT alternating - we can have 2 P5 home games and 1 marquee G5 game and that is how you get to 40k stadium.

Big 12 - KSU,KU,Baylor,Okie State,WVU
Big 10 - Indiana, Purdue, Ill, NW, Rutgers,
SEC - Vandy - would like to be annual - mini rivalry
PAC - Oregon St, Washington St, Utah,
ACC - all but Clemson, FSU
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:My LU Schedule for near future:

G5 1 for 1
UCF, Boise, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati

P5 1 for 1 ( realistic ) and yes the $ goes the other way, but we can get these teams in here - combined with UVA, VT alternating - we can have 2 P5 home games and 1 marquee G5 game and that is how you get to 40k stadium.

Big 12 - KSU,KU,Baylor,Okie State,WVU
Big 10 - Indiana, Purdue, Ill, NW, Rutgers,
SEC - Vandy - would like to be annual - mini rivalry
PAC - Oregon St, Washington St, Utah,
ACC - all but Clemson, FSU
Big 12 - I can’t see WVU coming here. Maybe Kansas. Not sure what the Baylor bridges look like. KSU and OSU probably not
B1G - IU might. Purdue would for money. They are cheap skates so they’d take a pay check. NW nope. Rutgers I could see
SEC - Vandy for sure. Maybe Kentucky. Ole Miss?
PAC 12 - I’d LOVE to see WSU and I’m not sure they wouldn’t Travel is so prohibitive though
ACC - uCA and Tech SAY they are coming. But let’s see. Syracuse is a nice get. LU is regionally attractive.
By tyndal23
None of them will be easy negotiations, but in my opinion - any team that travels to a MAC stadium in exchange for a 2 for 1 will come to LU for a 1 for 1 if $ is right. WAY more would come if we announced and scheduled P5 equivalent and conferences could count us as a P5 W or L like BYU or Army.
By tyndal23
FYI - 2023 and 2024 - LU and ND both have multiple coinciding open dates - ND has tough SOS both years already, might be a good fit to invite us there for 1 off easy home win.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:FYI - 2023 and 2024 - LU and ND both have multiple coinciding open dates - ND has tough SOS both years already, might be a good fit to invite us there for 1 off easy home win.
Don't tell them, but by then we will not be the cupcake they think :lol:
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]