Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By BlueBlood
Do some of you guys live in Dallas or something? A few weeks ago I was enjoying the dialogue on here - I think the whole idea of Independent vs G5 is an intriguing topic. Then all of the sudden the whole thread was hijacked and became about playing games in Dallas - so I jumped off. Checked back in today and people are still talking about Dallas. What the heck?

I'm still undecided on the IND vs conference issue. I'm a football fan and watch a lot of football. I can get into Mountain West games (some of those teams are the big fish in their state and the games feel bigger than they probably are because of it) and sometimes the AAC (where a couple teams are P5-similar). I generally have a hard time watching the other G5 conferences. My current inclination is that any G5 below MW/AAC level of play/intrigue is probably not worth joining. And given that MW is geographically out, I'm really down to the AAC being the only G5 that I think LU should even consider. And even then, I kind of like the idea of staying IND.

In theory, I like the idea of IND.

My biggest concern re IND is that I think some of the P5 games will dry up if Liberty becomes more competitive. There is a hump that LU needs to get over between now (where ACC and SEC schools view LU as an FBS win on their schedule) and achieving BYU-level acceptance as a competitive program that schools will get "credit" for scheluding. Even then, many P5 schools only schedule one competitive non-conference game per year. Will we find enough P5s that want their one competive non-conference game to be LU? I'm not sure.

More schools going IND would help (does UConn ever decide to rejoing the BE and play IND FB?, would Cincy consider the same?). Current IND schools leaving would hurt (NM St eventually to the MW?, Army joining Navy in AAC?, UMass going somewhere?, etc).

Lots of moving parts, lots of issues to consider.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, I firmly do NOT live in DFW. Although my Greater Houston friends joke about my location as being South Dallas. I am a 2.5 hour drive south of all of that pretention. There seems ot be a fixation on Jerry Jones' company hosting neutral site games. We do the same down here in Houston in a mor reasonable stadium. But for some reason the fixation is on JerryWorld.
By Jonathan Carone
BlueBlood wrote:Do some of you guys live in Dallas or something? A few weeks ago I was enjoying the dialogue on here - I think the whole idea of Independent vs G5 is an intriguing topic. Then all of the sudden the whole thread was hijacked and became about playing games in Dallas - so I jumped off. Checked back in today and people are still talking about Dallas. What the heck?

I'm still undecided on the IND vs conference issue. I'm a football fan and watch a lot of football. I can get into Mountain West games (some of those teams are the big fish in their state and the games feel bigger than they probably are because of it) and sometimes the AAC (where a couple teams are P5-similar). I generally have a hard time watching the other G5 conferences. My current inclination is that any G5 below MW/AAC level of play/intrigue is probably not worth joining. And given that MW is geographically out, I'm really down to the AAC being the only G5 that I think LU should even consider. And even then, I kind of like the idea of staying IND.

In theory, I like the idea of IND.

My biggest concern re IND is that I think some of the P5 games will dry up if Liberty becomes more competitive. There is a hump that LU needs to get over between now (where ACC and SEC schools view LU as an FBS win on their schedule) and achieving BYU-level acceptance as a competitive program that schools will get "credit" for scheluding. Even then, many P5 schools only schedule one competitive non-conference game per year. Will we find enough P5s that want their one competive non-conference game to be LU? I'm not sure.

More schools going IND would help (does UConn ever decide to rejoing the BE and play IND FB?, would Cincy consider the same?). Current IND schools leaving would hurt (NM St eventually to the MW?, Army joining Navy in AAC?, UMass going somewhere?, etc).

Lots of moving parts, lots of issues to consider.
Please stay. We need more rational thought around here and less of the types of posts driving this thread lately.
By Jonathan Carone
It's yet to be proven why military members would want to take out 6-8 hours on a day of leave to come to a football game with schools they don't really care about.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Seeing the "All Independent" honorees was kind of eye opening to just how lost we are without a conference. Will they have preseason honors ? Our strength of schedule will drastically change over the next few seasons, and I still think independent is the best place for us to grow really large really fast. But for stability, I am looking forward to the day we have a conference affiliation. I will also miss Big South Basketball :(
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:I will also miss Big South Basketball :(
It's been weird not having a conference to follow this fall. I'm excited to get back to looking at standings and how other teams are doing.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
As for the military connection pertaining to scheduling, LU already has Military Appreciation Day each season. It's probably the best halftime show in college football. It would be good if LU could bring in one of the service academies for this game.

First Sergeant
U.S. Army
Retired
By tyndal23
Class of 20Something wrote:What about doing it in a soccer stadium? Children's Mercy Park in KC, seats about 20k, multiple military installations within a 2 hour radius.
Needs to be in Dallas for recruiting. Can start it in Dallas Indoor Practice Facility 12.5k, move to Frisco Pizza Hut 20.5k and on to AT&T if it grows. Focus is more on Vets not active Military ( free tickets - Wonded Warrior all the charities set up for Military would have a presence) ). Military attending would be there would mainly be ones required for ceremonial, parade, trade show brass etc. LAST POST I PROMISE
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:What about doing it in a soccer stadium? Children's Mercy Park in KC, seats about 20k, multiple military installations within a 2 hour radius.
Needs to be in Dallas for recruiting. Can start it in Dallas Indoor Practice Facility 12.5k, move to Frisco Pizza Hut 20.5k and on to AT&T if it grows. Focus is more on Vets not active Military ( free tickets - Wonded Warrior all the charities set up for Military would have a presence) ). Military attending would be there would mainly be ones required for ceremonial, parade, trade show brass etc. LAST POST I PROMISE
Are you interested in buying a business? You are just the kind of “visionary” I’m looking for!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:It's yet to be proven why military members would want to take out 6-8 hours on a day of leave to come to a football game with schools they don't really care about.
Vision
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I have been in the military for nearly 10 years now and know many who have connections to LU online and it is like pulling teeth to get them to care at all about liberty athletics. A random game in Texas would fail for that exact reason.

Military appreciation day at the Bill is a great tradition and I actually agree with ballcoach (wtf is going in here) and think it would be only fitting to have military appreciation when we bring Army in.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I have been in the military for nearly 10 years now and know many who have connections to LU online and it is like pulling teeth to get them to care at all about liberty athletics. A random game in Texas would fail for that exact reason.

Military appreciation day at the Bill is a great tradition and I actually agree with ballcoach (Stupid Hose is going in here) and think it would be only fitting to have military appreciation when we bring Army in.
But it’s NOT some random game. It’s a special game! Because it’s Liberty and the Military and Texas! That’s SPECIAL.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Speaking from experience, it's hard to get the troops to a ball game, even when free tickets are involved.
Maybe Trump could order them to attend. :lol:
By CCWMichael
ballcoach15 wrote:Speaking from experience, it's hard to get the troops to a ball game, even when free tickets are involved.
I agree 100% with ballcoah15.

Anybody saving this for future use will be waterboarded.

I have a friend with MWR (morale, welfare, and recreation) who is intimate with the Military Bowl folks.
Plenty of folks near Baltimore that are military ... a local team was involved and yet only 7% of free tickets were utilized *according to my sources*
I did not want ballcoach15 to think I was poaching.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:
I agree 100% with ballcoah15.

Anybody saving this for future use will be waterboarded.

I have a friend with MWR (morale, welfare, and recreation) who is intimate with the Military Bowl folks.
Plenty of folks near Baltimore that are military ... a local team was involved and yet only 7% of free tickets were utilized *according to my sources*
I did not want ballcoach15 to think I was poaching.
Your #sources are far more credible than ballcoach
By tyndal23
Looks like Houston just upped the game for G5 coaching salaries - $4m a year for Dana H ? Looks like their Billionaire donor trying to buy them in to P5.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, Lo[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]