Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Man_the_kay
Oh, yes!

So, it's like a BYU type thing.
Remaining as an Indy, and play like something between higher G5 and lower P5 would be great!

If Liberty's brand power is equivalent to BYU's, it is still amazing.
But, I'm sure Liberty won't stop pursuing to be a P5 level.
By tyndal23
JK37 wrote:LUO stole my point. Being top G5 and P5 are not mutually exclusive goals. No reason to assume we must and will skip steps.

And referencing growth: LU absolutely IS growing by currently playing the likes of ODU, Charlotte, et al, when one considers LU as in the Big South just two years ago.

Gotta crawl before you can walk. Steady growth far outlives rapid ascent.
I completely disagree, G5 equivalent gets G5 talent and G5 coaches ( or coaches needing to reset ) and they won’t stick after 1 good season when P5 comes calling. BYU is who we should try and overcome and I will attach their future schedules again - they have stiffened up their future SOS pretty dramatically . LU can recruit P5 level and get P5 coaches (who will stay )with a P5 equivalent schedule - period - no need to dwell in G5 purgatory. BUT if you insist on G5 success for x number of years - then play a schedule that gets you 10-2 not 8-4 - no one cares about SOS at G5 level - they just look at wins. As for “steps” Charlotte, GSU, started from scratch at our level - UAB - shut down entire program - came back with winning season and bowl and then a 11 win conference and bowl win season after having no team. We have 7 years to become good at G5 then what ? We will already be locked in for the next 5-7 if we then decide we want to go to BYU level schedule and it won’t be until 2032/33.
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/byu/
By Ewglenn
tyndal23 wrote:
JK37 wrote:LUO stole my point. Being top G5 and P5 are not mutually exclusive goals. No reason to assume we must and will skip steps.

And referencing growth: LU absolutely IS growing by currently playing the likes of ODU, Charlotte, et al, when one considers LU as in the Big South just two years ago.

Gotta crawl before you can walk. Steady growth far outlives rapid ascent.
I completely disagree, G5 equivalent gets G5 talent and G5 coaches ( or coaches needing to reset ) and they won’t stick after 1 good season when P5 comes calling. BYU is who we should try and overcome and I will attach their future schedules again - they have stiffened up their future SOS pretty dramatically . LU can recruit P5 level and get P5 coaches (who will stay )with a P5 equivalent schedule - period - no need to dwell in G5 purgatory. BUT if you insist on G5 success for x number of years - then play a schedule that gets you 10-2 not 8-4 - no one cares about SOS at G5 level - they just look at wins. As for “steps” Charlotte, GSU, started from scratch at our level - UAB - shut down entire program - came back with winning season and bowl and then a 11 win conference and bowl win season after having no team. We have 7 years to become good at G5 then what ? We will already be locked in for the next 5-7 if we then decide we want to go to BYU level schedule and it won’t be until 2032/33.
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/byu/
BYU has 4 P5 this year. The most the have in one season is 7. Their recruiting classes the last three years have been ranked 66, 78 and 79. I don’t think those numbers match what you are saying. BYU is BYU because of past success not how they schedule people. Essentially if you want to try to get to BYU you want to get to a top G5 team.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The idea that BYU is a P5 team is subject to debate. For scheduling purposes, the SEC, ACC and B1G say they meet the requirement for a non-conference P5 opponent. The Big 12 and Pac 12 do not. When you look at their record, computer rankings and recruiting classes, they are borderline at best. Saying we want to be BYU and saying we want to be top level G5 are really pretty much the same thing. Yes, they often are better than some P5 teams. That's not saying a lot. Kansas is a P5 team.

Here's a question. If P5 conferences can accept BYU as a P5 non-conference opponent, why not N Dakota State? They are consistently a better team.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
BYU is not P5. They are probably better than many mid majors, but not P5.

I never liked it when this P5 classification came about, but to be P5, you have to be in P5 conference.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:BYU is not P5. They are probably better than many mid majors, but not P5.

I never liked it when this P5 classification came about, but to be P5, you have to be in P5 conference.
Notre Dame?
By tyndal23
oldflame wrote:The idea that BYU is a P5 team is subject to debate. For scheduling purposes, the SEC, ACC and B1G say they meet the requirement for a non-conference P5 opponent. The Big 12 and Pac 12 do not. When you look at their record, computer rankings and recruiting classes, they are borderline at best. Saying we want to be BYU and saying we want to be top level G5 are really pretty much the same thing. Yes, they often are better than some P5 teams. That's not saying a lot. Kansas is a P5 team.

Here's a question. If P5 conferences can accept BYU as a P5 non-conference opponent, why not N Dakota State? They are consistently a better team.
Read Below - BYU counts for Big 12 ( as does Army ) BYU counts for ACC - not Army https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2015/12/ ... equirement
By tyndal23
ballcoach15 wrote:BYU is not P5. They are probably better than many mid majors, but not P5.

Already posted on what leagues consider BYU P5 Equivalent - ( some do Army as well and all do ND ). But you are right - and it also goes with G5 - LU isn’t a G5 team either - meaning we don’t get the Auto Bowl tie in if we have best record of G5 teams ( NY6 Bowl ) That is why it is so important for Ian to get us classified as one or the other with bowl tie ins and playoff committee.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I admit being a bit shocked by the numbers of the contract. The MWC is up next and has to be giddy going into negotiations in this environment even if they don't quite have the shine of the AAC.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Are we benefiting financially? ESPN+ is losing its luster as so many other platforms are now available. I'd be fine leaving ESPN+ behind.
By BlueBlood
thepostman wrote:I love ESPN+. I got it for the year just for ASun sports but there is so much content on there. What other platform compares?
Agree. A ton of content for $5/mo. I love it.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I just realized that LU is playing ACC schools fairly often. Just this week basketball Sunday, baseball today, Softball tomorrow. Not to mention football this fall.

Hopefully we are positioning ourselves to join ACC in the future.

LU is a better fit for ACC than Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, Louisville, and above all Notre Dame. (geographically speaking)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think every conference is a Regional Conference. Now granted, some are spread over a wide area.

Other than northern And Midwest ACC schools, the most puzzling school is Jacksonville State. They are in Ohio Valley Conference. Jax State would be good fit for ASUN.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I think...
You lost me after that
Boom!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Every conference is Regional.
Ballcoach, define "regional." ODU and UTEP are in the same Conference USA and are nearly 2,000 miles apart.

Doesn't the conference name imply that it is a national conference?
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]