Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Back in the day, I was stationed at Fort Myer, VA. American University played their home games in Fort Myer field house. Navy was coming to town, with David Robinson, one of best players in the nation. I pulled some strings and got free ticket to give everyone in my platoon. (27 troops).

None of them showed up for game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:You didnt make it mandatory fun!!???
Forced Social Gathering
By CCWMichael
alabama24 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:None of them showed up for game.
Did they know you were going to the game? :lol:
It was the safety briefing :D
By Pilotguy24
thepostman wrote:I have been in the military for nearly 10 years now and know many who have connections to LU online and it is like pulling teeth to get them to care at all about liberty athletics. A random game in Texas would fail for that exact reason.

Military appreciation day at the Bill is a great tradition and I actually agree with ballcoach (Stupid Hose is going in here) and think it would be only fitting to have military appreciation when we bring Army in.
+1 one of the reasons I came to the Military appreciation game in Nov was because my whole family was there and I remembered how great the halftime show is. It is a disproportionate ratio between the military grads who follow the teams and those who just don’t care. Consistent winning and better marketing to the LUO studs will get them to at least care about the team much less go to the games.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Back in the day, I was stationed at Fort Myer, VA. American University played their home games in Fort Myer field house. Navy was coming to town, with David Robinson, one of best players in the nation. I pulled some strings and got free ticket to give everyone in my platoon. (27 troops).

MREs for a tailgate are never a good idea. :nono
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Back in the day, I was stationed at Fort Myer, VA. American University played their home games in Fort Myer field house. Navy was coming to town, with David Robinson, one of best players in the nation. I pulled some strings and got free ticket to give everyone in my platoon. (27 troops).

Pick the right one and you won't poop for a week, more than enough time to get through a game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:

Pick the right one and you won't poop for a week, more than enough time to get through a game.
They were good eating when I was in Haiti! And for that exact reason was a big reason why!
By rtb72
Today's are a delicacy compared to the old dehydrated ones. I remember going from dried pork patty to the new (non-dehydrated ones) to a "real ham omelette". That was heaven! I have to agree about the internal impact. The chocolate peanut butter bar, AKA Trac Bar, would deal you a sinister hand.
By CCWMichael
rtb72 wrote:Today's are a delicacy compared to the old dehydrated ones. I remember going from dried pork patty to the new (non-dehydrated ones) to a "real ham omelette". That was heaven! I have to agree about the internal impact. The chocolate peanut butter bar, AKA Trac Bar, would deal you a sinister hand.
Thanks for pulling back a memory. I used to take the pork patties and place them above the transmission. A ton of heat would come up from there and I would turn it into jerky. I also recall the coffee creamer was flammable.
Strange craving for jerky now ....
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, thank you for your 2 decades of military service to our country. :clapping :usa :clapping
By tyndal23
I like the fact we added Arkansas for 2022. Hate 2021 schedule and 23,24,25 - pigeon holed in to MAC or worse type Sept. Games. Went the wrong way. Really hoping 2026 is 6 P5 or 7 with BYU. Studying a lot of P5 team future schedules - tons of mid level P5 teams we could do road trips and even 1 for 1 with right payout those years in September. We should pay MAC teams to come for a home game but not do a 1 for 1 - they are cash strapped and have no attendance - so pay them a bit more and keep our Sept. games open for P5. That is the type of scheduling that gets HF level coaches to stay and higher recruits period...P5 Equivalent or Bust ( this monthly message brought to you buy Massingill Country Flowers )
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Goodness I take some time off to prep for baseball season and I come back to this mess lol. I think we are fine in scheduling. not that my opinion matters much.
By tyndal23
Well in the Athletic Article/Interview with Hugh Freeze we finally hear what LU Football goals are - to be a top tier G5 Program. No reference of becoming P5 equivalent. So if that is our goal then so be it. Still a fan but not nearly as excited - we will strive to be a Troy type program with coaches coming and going and occasionally pulling a big upset over P5. Now I am pushing the other way - 4 P5 games are 2 too many with that philosophy.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Reference P5 teams, 2 things are important, beat some of them, and get some of them to Williams stadium. program will not grow vs ODU, Charlotte, Appy State, or schools like that.
By Ewglenn
tyndal23 wrote:Well in the Athletic Article/Interview with Hugh Freeze we finally hear what LU Football goals are - to be a top tier G5 Program. No reference of becoming P5 equivalent. So if that is our goal then so be it. Still a fan but not nearly as excited - we will strive to be a Troy type program with coaches coming and going and occasionally pulling a big upset over P5. Now I am pushing the other way - 4 P5 games are 2 too many with that philosophy.
I’m okay with the 4 P5 but I just don’t want all 4 to be for sure losses. 3 should be lower P5 and 1 big boy. Example Kansas, Rutgers, Duke and Bama.
By Class of 20Something
tyndal23 wrote:Well in the Athletic Article/Interview with Hugh Freeze we finally hear what LU Football goals are - to be a top tier G5 Program. No reference of becoming P5 equivalent. So if that is our goal then so be it. Still a fan but not nearly as excited - we will strive to be a Troy type program with coaches coming and going and occasionally pulling a big upset over P5. Now I am pushing the other way - 4 P5 games are 2 too many with that philosophy.
I actually disagree with your reversal. I think 4 is the sweet spot for that. Too few and you fall into the SoS trap that UCF is in.
By tyndal23
LU doesn’t have NY6 Guaranty as an Indy ( only Group of 5 Conference Members do ) and 4 P5 and only 12 games with no Conf Championship 13th game ) won’t ever get them in to a 4 team playoff (even if they for some reason have an incredible year- in which case not going all out for P5 equivalent to begin with) BUT as a fan - I prefer 4 P5 games to 2 because I would rather play that level, but it really doesn’t make sense if your goal is for best record and postiion for a Bowl every year.
By Class of 20Something
tyndal23 wrote:LU doesn’t have NY6 Guaranty as an Indy ( only Group of 5 Conference Members do ) and 4 P5 and only 12 games with no Conf Championship 13th game ) won’t ever get them in to a 4 team playoff (even if they for some reason have an incredible year- in which case not going all out for P5 equivalent to begin with) BUT as a fan - I prefer 4 P5 games to 2 because I would rather play that level, but it really doesn’t make sense if your goal is for best record and postiion for a Bowl every year.

I think our goal is to not play in the Clorox Toilet Bowl every year and get something with some name recognition. Armed Forces, Military, Belk, Holiday, something to that tune would be a pretty good destination.
By LUOrange
I haven't read the Athletic interview yet, but I think being the top tier of G5 is a good first goal. It makes sense, we have to have attainable goals and grow at a steady pace. We're currently in the lower levels of FBS. So naturally, we should strive to be one of the better G5 schools, and if we can do that as an Independent that is what will most help open the door for us at the P5 level. Again we have to walk before we can run. As far as the scheduling goes, LU is doing a great job at it. I just wish we could get rid of 1 of the FCS games this fall, next year, and in 2021.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LUO stole my point. Being top G5 and P5 are not mutually exclusive goals. No reason to assume we must and will skip steps.

And referencing growth: LU absolutely IS growing by currently playing the likes of ODU, Charlotte, et al, when one considers LU as in the Big South just two years ago.

Gotta crawl before you can walk. Steady growth far outlives rapid ascent.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]