Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Let's talk independent vs conference affiliation here. I know scheduling is WAY easier when you're in a conference but I wonder, let's say 10 years from now we're still independent and go undefeated (I know what some of you are thinking but play along) if we run the table as an independent are we more LIKELY to get a college playoff invite vs running the table in a G5 conference. Our strength of schedule as an independent would seem to be more likely to always be better than strength of schedule in a G5 conference. Thoughts?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Personally, I think we should focus on getting to our first bowl game before we worry about going 11-0 and getting into the FBS playoffs. I will be happy if we get into a bowl game in the next 6-8 years.
By then, I really expect to see us in a good conference. Maybe one that doesn't even exist today.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
I'm all for getting to a bowl to I'm just interested in others thoughts on this as well. For all we know, there could be a few more independent teams by then as well thus taking away the need for a conference. Hypothetically of course but that would create a defacto conference.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
That's kind of my thought as well. If we can get our other sports in another conference, or even stay in big south I'd say ride out independence as long as possible.
Last edited by Liberty22 on September 14th, 2017, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By cruzan_flame13
I see us going the route as Notre Dame did back a few decades ago. I'm not saying we will be identical to Notre Dame, especially the fact that the game isn't the same as it was. I do feel we will go the independent route for awhile and continue to contain great connections with other school AD's that are close with AD McCaw. At the same time I see this helping our Olympic sports and the blessings that we have in facilities. If we can get into a nice conference that is not football affiliated, I don't see the point of having football in a conference. If some reason the Big XII finally put aside their pride and add some other schools and then some how we can get a spot with the AAC, then I would think that LU might consider. Anything lower than the AAC in G5 terms is not worth it for football. Of course I would hope that LU would get an opportunity with the A-10 or Big East for their Olympic sports (hopefully they'll progress on a sufficient and discipline manner without any unlawful deals with student athletes/prospects). I really see LU getting very noticeable on an athletic level from now on. In conclusion, independent is the way to go since the crew can create great schedules for football(hopefully that will rub off on the other sports).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Let us keep in mind the "B" in FBS. Since LU has abandoned its Championship Football Goal on a National level, they need to focus on getting to a Bowl. Otherwise what was the point of the move? So what is the easiest and best way to accomplish that goal? I would argue a Conference, however, in about 5 years I can't see College Football being the same as it is now, so it's 50/50.
However, the Athletic Department is comprised of more than just the Football team. I'm sure that comes as a shock to some. Those sports NEED a Conference. There is no viability for them without one. So from an Athletic Department standpoint sans FB a Conference is a must. From just a FB perspective it's not so clear over the next 5 years (one of which is still a transition) but after that, I think it's a must.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Let us keep in mind the "B" in FBS. Since LU has abandoned its Championship Football Goal on a National level, they need to focus on getting to a Bowl. Otherwise what was the point of the move? So what is the easiest and best way to accomplish that goal? I would argue a Conference, however, in about 5 years I can't see College Football being the same as it is now, so it's 50/50.
However, the Athletic Department is comprised of more than just the Football team. I'm sure that comes as a shock to some. Those sports NEED a Conference. There is no viability for them without one. So from an Athletic Department standpoint sans FB a Conference is a must. From just a FB perspective it's not so clear over the next 5 years (one of which is still a transition) but after that, I think it's a must.
Yes that was my point above as well. As long as other sports can stay in big south or find a better conference like A Sun or Big East than I think Football Independence is better. If we go 10-2 or 9-3 at some point and don't get a bowl, I would argue people would be more impressed than a 7-4 season and the Poinsetta Bowl. All people care about now are the playoff teams anyway.
By Ewglenn
In reference to getting into the Playoff independent is the way to go. It gives LU a better chance for resume building wins. Overall I would think the conference would be better because it gives an auto bid for bowl games if we get to 6-6. Long term independence is better in the short term it would be better to be in a conference.
By Class of 20Something
I just can't imagine a conference schedule in the next 10 years that gives Liberty 4 ACC games in a season. We are already able to make that schedule happen in 2020. Yes. I'm case we forgot we have VT, UVA, Cuse, and NCSU all scheduled for a single season. Bowling Green, Southern Miss and UMass are winnable. Surely NMSU will be on that docket. That's a manageable 8 games. .500 isn't a crazy pipe dream. Fantastic strength of schedule. 3 P5 road games within 2 hours of the burg. Liberty has no need for a football conference. There are so many bowl games anyone at 6-6 will have one. 25% of Bowling teams last season did not have a winning record. UNT(5-7) played Army in the Heart of Dallas bowl last year. It's not as far off as we think.

Someone mentioned the AAC if the Big XII expanded, so say they poach Cincinnati and ECU, then we join a weakend AAC? I want the power of the G5 AAC, not the P5 took the good teams AAC
By cruzan_flame13
Play Basketball
Class of 20Something wrote:I just can't imagine a conference schedule in the next 10 years that gives Liberty 4 ACC games in a season. We are already able to make that schedule happen in 2020. Yes. I'm case we forgot we have VT, UVA, Cuse, and NCSU all scheduled for a single season. Bowling Green, Southern Miss and UMass are winnable. Surely NMSU will be on that docket. That's a manageable 8 games. .500 isn't a crazy pipe dream. Fantastic strength of schedule. 3 P5 road games within 2 hours of the burg. Liberty has no need for a football conference. There are so many bowl games anyone at 6-6 will have one. 25% of Bowling teams last season did not have a winning record. UNT(5-7) played Army in the Heart of Dallas bowl last year. It's not as far off as we think.

Someone mentioned the AAC if the Big XII expanded, so say they poach Cincinnati and ECU, then we join a weakend AAC? I want the power of the G5 AAC, not the P5 took the good teams AAC
To add to that, the commissioner of the AAC was promoting the conference to eventually become a power conference (P6) last year. I know the reason was mostly based on the Big XII decision, but the idea may be resurrected in some way, shape or form. Who knows, that may actually be a thing in a few years. Time will tell and this is just hypothetical at the moment.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
When was the BigSouth vote ? Do we know if we will be in the BigSouth after this season in non football sports ?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Food for Thought:

No one knows what realignment will be down the road. But if things stay similar to what they are now, LU could become a member of the Big 12. Now don't laugh or jump off the LU Freedom Tower. There's one big factor involved. West Virginia does not have a Big 12 Regional Rival within Big 12. LU could fill that void.
Last edited by ballcoach15 on September 15th, 2017, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote:On a side note, I heard the students call the Freedom tower either Trump Tower or the Tower of Babel.
My favorite nickname that I've heard from students is "Tower of BIBLE." Study
By willflop
LUGrad2000 wrote:Would anyone be able to take our 2018 schedule and see where it would rank this year?
I sort of did that here: viewtopic.php?p=531927#p531927, via the sagarin.

It's not that difficult of a schedule, averages out to a 55 sagarin, and that ranks about 125 out of 253 rated teams (FBS and FCS). This is assuming 2016 results.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I like the name:

Trump Tower at LU
:vomit
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I like the name:

Trump Tower at LU
ban this fool...

and before you get too upset I am kidding.

I do hope you are joking though.
By Volunteer_Flame
Posts Posts
As far as making the playoff, (obviously, using our imaginations in a major way) Liberty being independent doesn't hurt at all. We have seen conference champions not make the playoff so we know that if your schedule is good enough then you don't have to be a conference champion. As far as making a bowl game, being in a conference would surely make things a lot easier due to bowl tie ins that the conferences have, but I imagine that Jerry Jr would be able to make some connections ($$$) with certain bowls. I mean they are adding bowls every couple of years, even though it isn't needed. A 6-6 LU team might not get a bowl in 2-3 years, but a 8-4/9-3 LU team would not be denied, Jerry would have something planned ahead of time.

Bowls are ALL about money... and that is one thing we know Liberty has. If fans buy tickets and travel, that is the most important thing.
By Class of 20Something
Volunteer_Flame wrote: If fans buy tickets and travel, that is the most important thing.
We are also naturally everywhere because of Online. Online could really help athletics it that way.
By Volunteer_Flame
Posts Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Volunteer_Flame wrote: If fans buy tickets and travel, that is the most important thing.
We are also naturally everywhere because of Online. Online could really help athletics it that way.
Honestly, didn't even think about online students being able to make the trips to away games/bowl games. That alone does give Liberty another unique advantage. I live in Fort Worth, TX and the past two years I have seen some LU-online graduates at both the SMU and Baylor games.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Volunteer_Flame wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
Honestly, didn't even think about online students being able to make the trips to away games/bowl games. That alone does give Liberty another unique advantage. I live in Fort Worth, TX and the past two years I have seen some LU-online graduates at both the SMU and Baylor games.
I would bet that 90% of online students don't care about our athletics. It's good to see some do but I wouldn't bank on that too much. When we do make a bowl game hopefully LU will send emails and letters out to online students to buy tickets to the game.

In today’s game you can’t have more th[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.