Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, Massachusetts

UMass Football Official Site

UMassHoops.com Football Message Board

Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium
Opened in 1965 - Seats 17,000

Mark Whipple
5th Season in Current Stint as UMass Head Coach - 11th Overall

2018 Schedule/Results
  • AUG 25 - DUQUESNE ........................................ W, 63-15
    SEP 01 - @ BOSTON COLLEGE ........................... L, 21-55
    SEP 08 - @ GEORGIA SOUTHERN ...................... L, 13-34
    SEP 15 - @ FIU ................................................. L, 24-63
    SEP 22 - CHARLOTTE ........................................ W, 49-31
    SEP 29 - @ OHIO .............................................. L, 42-58
    OCT 06 - USF .................................................... L, 42-58
    OCT 20 - COASTAL CAROLINA ........................... L, 13-24
    OCT 27 - @ UCONN .......................................... W 22-17
    NOV 03 - LIBERTY
    NOV 10 - BYU
    NOV 17 - @ GEORGIA

Key Players

#7 Andrew Ford
    6' 3" 210 lbs Senior Quarterback *** Out Rest of Season ***
    In 7 Games: 115-of-177 (64.9%) for 1366 Yards with 9 TDs & 5 INTs

#8 Marquis Young
    6' 1" 210 lbs Senior Running Back
    Thru 9 Games: 105 Carries for 547 Yards and 5 TDs + 13 Catches for 123 Yards + 24 Kick Returns for 589 Yards (24.5 Avg) and 1 TD

#5 Andy Isabella
    5' 10" 190 lbs Senior Receiver
    Thru 9 Games: 68 Catches for 1098 Yards and 9 TDs + 8 Carries for 68 Yards and 1 Rushing TD

#44 Bryton Barr
    6' 0" 225 lbs Senior Linebacker (Grad Transfer from Towson)
    Thru 9 Games: 111 Tackles with 9 for Loss + 4 Sacks + 1 INT + 2 Fumble Recoveries

#17 Chinedu Ogbonna
    6' 2" 225 lbs Sophomore Linebacker
    Thru 9 Games: 57 Tackles including 5.5 for Loss + 1 INT + 1 Fumble Recovery

#2 Brice McAllister
    5' 11" 195 lbs Senior Safety (Grad Transfer from UConn)
    In 8 Games: 50 Tackles including 2 for Loss + 2 INTs + 2 Forced Fumbles & 1 Recovery
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Based on UMass scores, this game has potential to set a FBS record for most combined points by both teams. Hopefully we will find a defense prior to kickoff.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
UMass is 2-6 , with their only wins coming against Duquesne and Charlotte. They play an awful UConn team this Saturday so they will probably be 3-6 when we play them. Their defense is horrible. Worse than ours if that's possible. Anything less than 50 points and we should be embarrassed. I think their offensive numbers for the season are a bit deceiving. 63 against Duquesne skews the average.
By Jonathan Carone
UMass FPI Efficiencies

Offense: 37.2
Defense: 18.7
Special Teams: 37.4
Overall: 20.4

Liberty FPI Efficiencies

Offense: 41.1
Defense: 34.1
Special Teams: 32.4
Overall: 31.5

The only place they have an advantage over us is special teams, and that goes away if Probert is healthy.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:UMass is 2-6 , with their only wins coming against Duquesne and Charlotte. They play an awful UConn team this Saturday so they will probably be 3-6 when we play them. Their defense is horrible. Worse than ours if that's possible. Anything less than 50 points and we should be embarrassed. I think their offensive numbers for the season are a bit deceiving. 63 against Duquesne skews the average.
You think UConn is worse than UMass? They are both pretty awful but I am not sure either is really worse than the other.

The UMass game scares me the most out of the 2 remaining winnable FBS games. We are on the road AND have a history of playing down to opponents. We are better than them and I am hoping a bye week gives us that extra time.

I'm pretty excited about having a game this late into the season that actually means something.

I am sure Ri will gloss over that fact that so he can continue is false narrative :D
By tyndal23
UMASS has some pretty big players. They scored the most on USF of any team this year. Put up 42 on Ohio as well. They mirror LU a lot - off and on on both sides of the ball - never quite sure what you are going to get.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:UMass is 2-6 , with their only wins coming against Duquesne and Charlotte. They play an awful UConn team this Saturday so they will probably be 3-6 when we play them. Their defense is horrible. Worse than ours if that's possible. Anything less than 50 points and we should be embarrassed. I think their offensive numbers for the season are a bit deceiving. 63 against Duquesne skews the average.
The other thing is, if you look at their back to back 58-42 losses, against Ohio they scored 21 points in the first quarter...then only 21 points the rest of the game and their run game was non-existent so they had no choice but to sling the ball all over the field. Against USF...same thing, except they scored 28 in the second half but the game was really never in doubt despite the final score. They are virtually one dimensional as far as the offense goes so if we shut down the pass, we SHOULD win easily (emphasis added), especially with the extra week to prepare.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I look forward to seeing the predictions on this game.
Why do we have to create everything for you?
By cruzan_flame13
jbock13 wrote:
Because he's coach, Ballcoach.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:
Because he’s now a confessed Liberal
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
jbock13 wrote:
Because he’s now a confessed Liberal

Beat me to the punch. Haha :D
By tyndal23
Solid 4th Qtr comeback against UConn - pretty ugly game - reminds me of BC - nothing sexy but you don’t want to let them hang around - they make enough big plays over the top to keep you honest. I think they ran it a lot more due to weather conditions, but when they started throwing at the end they looked much better. Real good LB #44. LU needs to jump on them early.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Minutemen have established a pattern in outcomes this season that I hope continues against us. I am curious who will be at QB this week after the starter Ford missed the UConn win and fellow redshirt senior Comis performed reasonably well.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Indeed. Sadly they are not on our schedule ... for now.

I have updated above the UMass schedule and key players with stats through their first 9 games.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote:Is the UMASS PPV stream the only way to watch this game? Trying to plan ahead a bit.
I don't see it listed on my DishTV sports package. Sometimes games pop in late.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Damien Sordelett wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:
LU 57 wrote:Is the UMASS PPV stream the only way to watch this game? Trying to plan ahead a bit.
I don't see it listed on my DishTV sports package. Sometimes games pop in late.
The game will be televised in the Lynchburg/Roanoke market on WZBJ Channel 24.
Thanks
2024 Recruiting Discussion

When you have a chance to pick up a talent like th[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]