Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By rtb72
Jonathan Carone wrote:With our alumni base in Florida, I’d imagine we’d have a good sized crowd there.
This and the weather. Good combination I suppose.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
How important are ticket sales for a bowl game? Are TV ratings more important or less important? The game is broadcast by CBSSN, which I have but is not widely available. They have the Navy/Notre Dame game this Saturday. That should be their ratings ceiling.

Assuming ticket sales are more important, it would be an opportunity for us to show other bowls how "national" we are. Ian would have some leverage in meetings with other bowls.

Are the students still in school on Dec. 15? The University could charter some busses if they are.

If ticket sales bomb, we can wait for a conference invite before other bowl invites happen.

How many alumni do we have in Central Florida? I would do my best to attend.
By Class of 20Something
LUGrad2000 wrote:How important are ticket sales for a bowl game? Are TV ratings more important or less important? The game is broadcast by CBSSN, which I have but is not widely available. They have the Navy/Notre Dame game this Saturday. That should be their ratings ceiling.

Assuming ticket sales are more important, it would be an opportunity for us to show other bowls how "national" we are. Ian would have some leverage in meetings with other bowls.

Are the students still in school on Dec. 15? The University could charter some busses if they are.

If ticket sales bomb, we can wait for a conference invite before other bowl invites happen.

How many alumni do we have in Central Florida? I would do my best to attend.
The ASUN move was strategic because we have a respectable alumni base in FL. Liberty believes we have about 40k alumni in Florida.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote:Are the students still in school on Dec. 15? The University could charter some busses if they are.
Our semester ends the day before, on Dec. 14.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Who would have thought this would have even been a thread in our forum 4 months ago???? Whether we make it to the Cure Bowl or not doesn't diminish the coolness or excitement that we are 9 weeks into the season and now for a couple straight weeks the Cure Bowl prediction says Liberty!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Many schools lose money on bowl games. Only people who do well are the Bowl Executives.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
There is quite a few of us down here in central FL that would definitely go. That last Liberty event that I attended down here was at UCF for basketball a few years back during the month of December and there was quite a few LU fans. A good friend of mine from the DC area just reserved his flight for that weekend. I don't think fan attendance will be an issue especially with it being our first bowl game. When is exam week this semester?
By LUOrange
I know if we make it to the Cure Bowl, I plan on attending the game. I want to be at LU's first ever bowl game. I also think a good number of students would make the trip as well. I remember us having a decent turnout for the JMU playoff game in 2014, which was Thanksgiving weekend I believe.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I reckon there will be a bus or something involved for students if LU makes a bowl game
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I reckon there will be a bus or something involved for students if LU makes a bowl game
No. School will be out for several days.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
LUGrad2000 wrote:Are the students still in school on Dec. 15? The University could charter some busses if they are.
Is that an administrative “end”? Exams are done on 11th, Dorms close on 12th.
By LUDad
AAC Bowl Affiliations (not listing the secondary):

– Armed Forces Bowl vs. Big 12
– Birmingham Bowl vs. SEC
– Cheribundi Tart Cherry Bowl vs. Conference USA
– Cure Bowl vs. Sun Belt
– Frisco Bowl vs. At-Large
– Gasparillia Bowl vs. Conference USA
– Military Bowl vs. ACC

The AAC has 12 teams and 7 primary bowl affiliations including the Cure Bowl. Since UCF will most likely play in a New Years bowl, the Mendosa line for LU obtaining a Cure Bowl slot from the AAC stands at 7 teams. Thus, 5 AAC teams need to be eliminated from bowl eligibility before LU can obtain a Cure Bowl slot.

Listed below are the AAC teams LU fans need to be rooting against this week.

Tulane 2-5
Navy 2-5
ECU 2-5
Tulsa 1-6
UConn 1-6

SUN BELT Bowl Affiliations (not listing the secondary affiliations):

– R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl vs. Mountain West
– Dollar General Bowl vs. MAC
– Raycom Media Camellia Bowl vs. MAC
– AutoNation Cure Bowl vs. American Athletic
– NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl vs. Mountain West

The Sun Belt has 10 teams and 5 primary bowl affiliations including the Cure Bowl. Thus, the Mendosa line for LU to obtain a Cure Bowl slot from the Sun Belt stands at 4 teams. Thus, 6 Sun Belt Teams need to be eliminated from bowl eligibility before LU can obtain a Cure Bowl slot.

Below are the 6 teams in the Sun Belt that we should be rooting against this week.

Coastal Carolina 4-3
Arkansas State 4-3
ULM 4-4
Louisiana 3-4
South Alabama 2-6
Texas State 1-6

As you can see from the records above, it certainly seems more likely that LU would obtain a slot in the Cure Bowl from the AAC rather than the Sun Belt...
By LUOrange
alabama24 wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
Is that an administrative “end”? Exams are done on 11th, Dorms close on 12th.
If we make it into the Cure Bowl, I would count on Liberty doing something to bus students in. I'm sure they'd allow them to stay in order to attend the game. Thy'll have plenty of time to plan as the Bowl will announce their teams on 12-2, the day after we beat up on NSU.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I honestly doubt there would be enough student interest in this to warrant letting a group stay in the dorms and bus them to the game. Are we talking down and back in a day? Even more difficult due to bus driver requirements. So we’re likely talking about accommodations.

I just don’t see what’s in it for LU to do all that for the students when classes are out. Let the students figure out their own means of travel.
By Jonathan Carone
When App made their first bowl appearance, it was a fan organized bus trip that allowed people to go down and back. The athletic department helped where they could, but it wasn’t their project. If someone wants a bus, I’d suggest they start doing the prep work now and not rely on the school to do it.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:I honestly doubt there would be enough student interest in this to warrant letting a group stay in the dorms and bus them to the game. Are we talking down and back in a day? Even more difficult due to bus driver requirements. So we’re likely talking about accommodations.

I just don’t see what’s in it for LU to do all that for the students when classes are out. Let the students figure out their own means of travel.
Unless the Cure Bowl was a morning kick, it wouldnt be a day trip. It would be at minimum an overnight trip from Lynchburg and a lengthy bus ride on par with the CFAW bus
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
JK37 wrote:I honestly doubt there would be enough student interest in this to warrant letting a group stay in the dorms and bus them to the game. Are we talking down and back in a day? Even more difficult due to bus driver requirements. So we’re likely talking about accommodations.

Unless the Cure Bowl was a morning kick, it wouldnt be a day trip. It would be at minimum an overnight trip from Lynchburg and a lengthy bus ride on par with the CFAW bus
Gotta remembermeals, too. And some of y’all are suggesting letting students stay on campus after finals to wait for the bus trip down. Days and days worth of meal planning? Multi-day bus trip? Accommodations for at least a night? Plus the game tickets won’t be cheap.

I really don’t see it. At least not LU officially arranging it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I would think everyone needs to tone down bowl talk until we win 6 games.
Who are you and what have you done with ballcoach?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I would think everyone needs to tone down bowl talk until we win 6 games.
All comes down to this week. I believe we can get the NMSU rematch.
Auburn and UVA are just for fun :lol:
Even though G5 bowl games are better on TV I might make the trip down if we make it.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
As I think back, how many seasons have we lost one game, that we should have won, that knocked us out of FCS playoffs ?
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:As I think back, how many seasons have we lost one game, that we should have won, that knocked us out of FCS playoffs ?
I'm so glad you asked.
2007: William And Mary the imfamous 2OT no first down call.
2008: Presby
2009: Stony Brook
2010: Robert Morris and Coastal.
2011: stony brook but we probably wouldnt have made it in regardless.
2012: 6-5 lost to ranked teams so I'll give this one a pass?
2013: ODU
2014: ISU & chuck south
2015:GW, Monmouth, and Chuck south but probably wouldn't have made it without the auto.
2016: pass
2017:St. Francis. Chuck South, Kennesaw Monmouth.
By Class of 20Something
Has anyone looked at how many auto bids we missed out on when the Big South didn't have an auto bid or someone else got the Auto? Liberty made the playoff once in 8 tied or outright conference championships.

2007 Outright - BSC did not get Auto
2008 Outright - BSC did not get Auto
2009 Tied - BSC did not get Auto
2010 Tied - Coastal got Auto
2012 Tied - Coastal got Auto
2013 Tied - BSC did not get Auto
2014 Tied - Liberty got Auto
2016 Tied - CSU got Auto

I get that we usually blow one a year, but we usually make it up somewhere else. I am more prone to blaming us for not annihilating the BSC when it was that weak.

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]