Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Winning...can fix the problem.
HCTG called. His team has a winning record (4-3) in LU's first season of FBS. :fineprint
By Neo
Liberty22 wrote:
And thank God for that. Do you know how many universities wished they had the student support we have?
Sure. It makes for a good, energetic atmosphere and it looks good on TV, especially in the first half. But it’s astroturf. So we shouldn’t ever be surprised that the interest wanes throughout the season as ideal body painting weather fades.

The student engagement a decade ago may have been smaller in number, but it was much better. These kids wouldn’t stand in the pouring rain for 2-3 hours before the game screaming and waiting for a JMU game to start. I could be wrong, but that’s just the impression I get
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Neo wrote:
Liberty22 wrote:
And thank God for that. Do you know how many universities wished they had the student support we have?
Sure. It makes for a good, energetic atmosphere and it looks good on TV, especially in the first half. But it’s astroturf. So we shouldn’t ever be surprised that the interest wanes throughout the season as ideal body painting weather fades.

The student engagement a decade ago may have been smaller in number, but it was much better. These kids wouldn’t stand in the pouring rain for 2-3 hours before the game screaming and waiting for a JMU game to start. I could be wrong, but that’s just the impression I get

The core is still just as passionate as ever before. There were plenty of students who left in the 2nd half 10 years ago. There is a reason 4 quarters of fury became a slogan. Revisionist history at its worst if you really believe that.

Now if we are talking basketball support I'd agree and that program is ready to really explode. Hopefully the students surprise me and support that team unlike they have in recent years.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Flameshaw, good post above.

I was told that our defense suffered today because we were missing Rusty Tillman at linebacker.
Rusty Tillman played LB for the Redskins in the 70s.
Brandon Tillmon did not play for the Flames yesterday and yes, he was missed. His speed at LB would likely have prevented some of those long runs.
Last edited by olldflame on October 21st, 2018, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
We are 4-3, above most everyones win total expectations already and have 3 winnable games remaining.

That was a good team we beat. Not only did we beat them we covered the 6.5 spread. So it wasn't even a let down.

Attendance : Jeff and Crew did a lot to "paint the pig". We created some fake hype to get non football enthusiasts to the stadium. It worked but its not a sustainable model. Feels like the fan base we are catering to since now Ian has arrived, is the LU supporter that also enjoys a full day of football. This will be sustainable into the future. Also it was Idaho State , a team none of us had ever heard of. Did anyone mention evacuating the stadium at the first two home games ? That will have a major impact on avg attendance.

GREAT start to the season. 3 more wins and we are bowl eligible.

hatersgonnahate
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:This week and last week I had people with me that hadn't been to LU games before. I also got to play with the band alumni group for pregame. And we had a tailgate meal. I'd say there were about 100 hanging out in that group.
I THINK THE BIGGEST PROBLEM FOR ATTENDANCE IS MAKING THE ENTIRE BAPTIST SIDE RESERVED. I think many people like the quietness of the baptist side. They don't want to sit on the student side. But they don't want to commit to a certain number of tickets.
My guess is they'll evaluate ticket purchasing patterns and make adjustment for next year.

If our attendance average matches last year, with new FBS ticket pricing inplace that's a plus. We'll need a few bowl appearances to boost attendance numbers.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:We are 4-3, above most everyones win total expectations already and have 3 winnable games remaining.

That was a good team we beat. Not only did we beat them we covered the 6.5 spread. So it wasn't even a let down.

Attendance : Jeff and Crew did a lot to "paint the pig". We created some fake hype to get non football enthusiasts to the stadium. It worked but its not a sustainable model. Feels like the fan base we are catering to since now Ian has arrived, is the LU supporter that also enjoys a full day of football. This will be sustainable into the future. Also it was Idaho State , a team none of us had ever heard of. Did anyone mention evacuating the stadium at the first two home games ? That will have a major impact on avg attendance.

hatersgonnahate
I don´t think it´s a stretch to estimate the weather situation having an impact of 1500 plus for each of the first 2 home games. Add that and the averae attendance is not looking so bad.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Id say it was more like 2-3 K impact. Given the fact that the games were ODU and North Texas.
By LUDad
R i wrote:We are 4-3, above most everyones win total expectations already and have 3 winnable games remaining.

hatersgonnahate
Actually we only need to win two of those three winnable game to be bowl eligible.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts

hatersgonnahate
Yay! We covered by .5 points. What a victory! :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:

hatersgonnahate
Yay! We covered by .5 points. What a victory! :lol:
My bookie don’t care. I’m getting paid! .5 or 50. Cover is Cover
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The main thing is WIN, doesn't matter if cover or not. A win is a win whether by 1 point or 35 points. All that matters is scoreboard .

The only "cover" that matters is, "cover the receivers downfield on pass attempts".
By SoD BAS
LUDad wrote:Actually we only need to win two of those three winnable game to be bowl eligible.
It’s a little muddier than that. Only one FCS win counts towards bowl eligibility, if I’m not mistaken. So, we need two more FBS wins to be bowl eligible. I don’t think a win against an FBS team + a win against NSU would cut it.

I might be wrong, though.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
We have UMass, Auburn, UVa, NMSU and NSU left. If we beat both NMSU and UMass, we have 6 wins and thus are bowl eligible
By LUOrange
Someone replied to one of my posts a few weeks ago, who stated that with recent rule changes by the NCAA, we could be eligible with our 2 FCS wins. That said, I don't think it'll be a problem. i think 7-5 is highly likely, and 6-6 is our worst case scenario. Who knows, Gill and the Boys may surprise us with UVA or Auburn.
By Ewglenn
LUOrange wrote:Someone replied to one of my posts a few weeks ago, who stated that with recent rule changes by the NCAA, we could be eligible with our 2 FCS wins. That said, I don't think it'll be a problem. i think 7-5 is highly likely, and 6-6 is our worst case scenario. Who knows, Gill and the Boys may surprise us with UVA or Auburn.
I’m pretty sure the new rule is all 6-6 teams get to a bowl game prior to a 5-7 team. So this year I think if we get to six we would be selected prior to those 5-7 teams filling the spots.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
A weird thing happened for me at the game. I gave a woman some tickets, and she took her 2 girls to game, ages. 2 and 3. This was their first football game. They were too young to understand our problems on defense, but the little girls loved the music, noise and band. I may have to change my stance on that stuff.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

It’s the common conversation on here. Trash[…]

G5 Playoff Only

There are some rumblings among the AD’s of G[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]