Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUinPA
Registration Days Posts
Here we are at the half way point in the season...and our record stands at a respectable 3-3. If you would have said this would be the case 6 months ago, I may have had are hard time agreeing. I can also say, I've been greatly enjoying the overall FBS experience. There seems to be a greater presence nationally in all CFB coverage regarding Liberty. It's exciting to troll various collage sport sites and actually see record keeping and discussions regarding our team. It's also wonderful to actually see our current record and the schools we've beaten having a positive impact on our rankings. Al-abet it's out of all 130 FBS schools but can any of us say we honestly thought we would be ranked in the 90's or just outside the top 100 at this point in the season for our first year of FBS.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... h-by-other (Ranked 96th)
https://herosports.com/rankings/college-football (Ranked 90th)
https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... ball-teams (Ranked 97)
http://realtimerpi.com/college_football ... _Full.html (Ranked 100th)

Looking at the entire Liberty football brand from a 30K foot view, I'm proud of what we've done thus far and the name we've made for ourselves in just the first 6 weeks.
By tyndal23
I agree 100%. I felt we could step up and win a game here or there but to be batting 500 is legit. Troy was stunning to me. If our D can play anywhere near that level down the stretch - lookout. Our offense has been more inconsistent than I thought but what a big boy gritty drive to win that game. I have watched that game 3 times and was probably the most complete defensive game for both teams I have seen in a long time - it was BAma LSU type tackling on both sides of the ball. I am still scratching my head after NMSU game that looked like flag football to that in one week.
By Class of 20Something
tyndal23 wrote:I agree 100%. I felt we could step up and win a game here or there but to be batting 500 is legit. Troy was stunning to me. If our D can play anywhere near that level down the stretch - lookout. Our offense has been more inconsistent than I thought but what a big boy gritty drive to win that game. I have watched that game 3 times and was probably the most complete defensive game for both teams I have seen in a long time - it was BAma LSU type tackling on both sides of the ball. I am still scratching my head after NMSU game that looked like flag football to that in one week.
We are down three starters in skill positions. That would have crippled us two years ago. The FBS depth is our saving grace this season on offense.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:I agree 100%. I felt we could step up and win a game here or there but to be batting 500 is legit. Troy was stunning to me. If our D can play anywhere near that level down the stretch - lookout. Our offense has been more inconsistent than I thought but what a big boy gritty drive to win that game. I have watched that game 3 times and was probably the most complete defensive game for both teams I have seen in a long time - it was BAma LSU type tackling on both sides of the ball. I am still scratching my head after NMSU game that looked like flag football to that in one week.
:)
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Wish we had gotten that NMSU win, at least we get another shot at them. Add a NSU win and we could be 5-2. Win Idaho State, UMass and the rematch with NMSU and we have a ligament shot at a bowl. A tall order though?

By the way, don't have the link now, but I saw an article that said our game with Auburn will be critical for them. Without it they may not get the 6 they needed for a bowl. And after our win against Troy some in AL are concerned. This is fun! Loving FBS!

GO FLAMES!
By Class of 20Something
After the ISU game we are going to see how deep this team can dig. We will need 2 wins in our last five games to be 6-6(assuming we handle business this weekend). While I love our odds with NMSU and NSU, I think coming away from the three game road stand with a win would shut the critics(myself included). I wouldn't even mind if we lost to UMass but beat UVa. We have 6 games left with 4 of the worst opponents on our total schedule remaining.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I think LU is fine. Most people didn’t have the team winning but 4 or 5 games and they’ve already won 3 so that’s on pace if not better. The lost players haven’t hurt the team too much. Sure HCTG does some odd things and pulls some head scratchers. But the people complaining about him would either be complaining regardless or never thought LU would be 3-3 at this point and are upset they aren’t 4-2 or 5-1.
LU is “Transitioning” and they are doing better than Kaitlin Jenner
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Looking back on first 6 games, with some luck we could be sitting at 5-1. I knew we had the offense to hang with most teams, but the defense worried me.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I think LU is fine. Most people didn’t have the team winning but 4 or 5 games and they’ve already won 3 so that’s on pace if not better. The lost players haven’t hurt the team too much. Sure HCTG does some odd things and pulls some head scratchers. But the people complaining about him would either be complaining regardless or never thought LU would be 3-3 at this point and are upset they aren’t 4-2 or 5-1.
LU is “Transitioning” and they are doing better than Kaitlin Jenner
:lol:
By R i
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Wish we had gotten that NMSU win, at least we get another shot at them. Add a NSU win and we could be 5-2. Win Idaho State, UMass and the rematch with NMSU and we have a ligament shot at a bowl. A tall order though?

By the way, don't have the link now, but I saw an article that said our game with Auburn will be critical for them. Without it they may not get the 6 they needed for a bowl. And after our win against Troy some in AL are concerned. This is fun! Loving FBS!

GO FLAMES!

GOFLAMES
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
We WON two games (NM & Troy) that we should have lost and lost only one game we should have won (NMSU), so I would say 3-3 is very good, since that is only against FBS schools.
By VarsityLu
LUinPA wrote: http://realtimerpi.com/college_football ... _Full.html (Ranked 100th)
Love this one since it includes all D1 schools. I love, too, that there are only three FCS teams above us: Penn, Dartmouth, and of course NDSU. If you look at Indy schools, we are right in the middle. I really hope we beat UMASS and NMSU the second time. Also cool that we would not be the bottom in ANY of the FBS conferences. Yes, even in a P5 we wouldn't be ranked last.

On a side note, anyone think it would be cool to wear the Indy logo on our jerseys in lieu of a conference patch? Just a thought.

By Class of 20Something
VarsityLu wrote:
LUinPA wrote: http://realtimerpi.com/college_football ... _Full.html (Ranked 100th)
Love this one since it includes all D1 schools. I love, too, that there are only three FCS teams above us: Penn, Dartmouth, and of course NDSU. If you look at Indy schools, we are right in the middle. I really hope we beat UMASS and NMSU the second time. Also cool that we would not be the bottom in ANY of the FBS conferences. Yes, even in a P5 we wouldn't be ranked last.

On a side note, anyone think it would be cool to wear the Indy logo on our jerseys in lieu of a conference patch? Just a thought.

100 Ranked Liberty is ranked higher than:

104 UCLA Pac-12
116 Louisville
124 Kansas Big XII
129 Arkansas SEC
132 UNC ACC
149 Rutgers B1G
154 Oregon St Pac-12
158 Nebraska B1G
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:We WON two games (NM & Troy) that we should have lost and lost only one game we should have won (NMSU), so I would say 3-3 is very good, since that is only against FBS schools.

I left West Point, NY feeling as if we could have won that game.
By tyndal23
I agree Ballcoach - even N Texas was a “could have” or at least a lot more competitive score wise - we haven’t been nearly as overmatched as I was expecting - will see if that holds true for UVA and Auburn.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
VarsityLu wrote:

Awesome. I agree, next year in lieu of the inaugural season patch we should have the independent patch.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Army is on the verge of cracking the top 25 and if North Texas stays focused they could be the next team to crack it by years end. By the way, I have seen 3 bowl projections pick us for the Cure Bowl: ESPN, Athlon and The Orlando Sentinel.

The fact that three bowl projection publishers feel strong enough about putting us in that slot makes me very pleased at this moment. Crazy to think that it is not crazy talk or even kool-aid talk to say that we could finish 7-5. ISU, NSU, UMASS and NMSU are all games I really believe we should win. How about IF we had beat NMSU the first time and then rattled off these other 4, then we would be talking about an 8-4 FBS first year record with the potential of that 9th win in the bowl game.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
VarsityLu wrote:

100 Ranked Liberty is ranked higher than:

104 UCLA Pac-12
116 Louisville
124 Kansas Big XII
129 Arkansas SEC
132 UNC ACC
149 Rutgers B1G
154 Oregon St Pac-12
158 Nebraska B1G
And there is <1% chance that we would beat even one of those schools. Need to stay away from that kool aid.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Louisville lost to UVA, thus we might could beat Louisville. Troy beat Nebraska, we beat Troy. When ODU beat VT, that gave me faith that we can beat anyone on schedule...…………..if they don't come to play.
By CCWMichael
I think I posted elsewhere my expectation was three wins and four was a good sign. Six would be ecstatic.
I certainly am pleasantly surprised ------ that is liking where we are potentially going and I am enjoying most of the ride to this point.
Yes I Like!
By FLAMEfromBAMA
Registration Days Posts
I like where we are. When we look good man do we look good. My biggest frustration under the current staff is inconsistency. Having amazing weeks and then having weeks that make you stand in awe at how off we were. Despite those frustrations I am happy with 3-3. If we don’t win 3 of our final 6 I will be very disappointed since we “should” win at least three considering two are FCS and two are very winnable.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote:I like where we are. When we look good man do we look good. My biggest frustration under the current staff is inconsistency. Having amazing weeks and then having weeks that make you stand in awe at how off we were. Despite those frustrations I am happy with 3-3. If we don’t win 3 of our final 6 I will be very disappointed since we “should” win at least three considering two are FCS and two are very winnable.
This about sums up how I feel. The inconsistent play calling drives me nuts. we look good for a series or even a full game but even then we make a play call that is a total head scratcher.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]