Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
I wanted to start this because I know a crap ton of things have been built and new places to eat have popped up all over the burg and I wanted to get some of the locals takes on where to stay and what to eat. My wife and I are making the trek up from Atlanta for the Norfolk state game this year,since my employer does not have a game that weekend. We are looking to book a hotel within the next week and honestly the only hotel I've ever stayed in is the Hilton garden. anyone have any other suggestions? I also am looking for new food places.
By CCWMichael
flamesfilmguy wrote:I wanted to start this because I know a crap ton of things have been built and new places to eat have popped up all over the burg and I wanted to get some of the locals takes on where to stay and what to eat. My wife and I are making the trek up from Atlanta for the Norfolk state game this year,since my employer does not have a game that weekend. We are looking to book a hotel within the next week and honestly the only hotel I've ever stayed in is the Hilton garden. anyone have any other suggestions? I also am looking for new food places.
Fairfield Marriott is right on campus with a view of the stadium. You can walk to the game in 5 minutes.
Airbnb offers a lot of options. There are three fairly new hotels adjacent to the airport - Springhill Suites, Hampton, and Comfort Inn. All are convenient to the campus coming in the back way. As for food, everyone says Fifth and Federal is great (except YR). The Neighbors Place (in Wyndhurst) got great reviews from family that recently stopped in the burg and I also have had great experiences there. Avoid Burger King at all costs in spite of what ballcoach says.
flamehunter wrote:Airbnb offers a lot of options. There are three fairly new hotels adjacent to the airport - Springhill Suites, Hampton, and Comfort Inn. All are convenient to the campus coming in the back way. As for food, everyone says Fifth and Federal is great (except YR). The Neighbors Place (in Wyndhurst) got great reviews from family that recently stopped in the burg and I also have had great experiences there. Avoid Burger King at all costs in spite of what ballcoach says.
Fifth & Federal is overrated. Portions are small and quality has dropped off. Neighbors is amazing.

Most of the food trucks in the area are worth having, Last Action Gyro, Rookies, Mama Crocketts are all devine. There is a taco truck near the intersection of Fort and Wards with a mild language barrier and is excellent.

If drinks are part of your plan, El Jefe and Bootleggers are the places to go. The Water Dog is great seafood. Market @ Main is killer brunch. And Waterstone Pizza is passable for "gourmet" pizza and is very close to the Blackwater Creek Trail.
Class of 20Something wrote:
flamehunter wrote:Airbnb offers a lot of options. There are three fairly new hotels adjacent to the airport - Springhill Suites, Hampton, and Comfort Inn. All are convenient to the campus coming in the back way. As for food, everyone says Fifth and Federal is great (except YR). The Neighbors Place (in Wyndhurst) got great reviews from family that recently stopped in the burg and I also have had great experiences there. Avoid Burger King at all costs in spite of what ballcoach says.
Fifth & Federal is overrated. Portions are small and quality has dropped off. Neighbors is amazing.

Most of the food trucks in the area are worth having, Last Action Gyro, Rookies, Mama Crocketts are all devine. There is a taco truck near the intersection of Fort and Wards with a mild language barrier and is excellent.

If drinks are part of your plan, El Jefe and Bootleggers are the places to go.

The Water Dog is great seafood. Market @ Main is killer brunch. And Waterstone Pizza is passable for "gourmet" pizza and is very close to the Blackwater Creek Trail.

If drinks are part of your plan, El Jefe and Bootleggers are the places to go.

The Water Dog is great seafood. Market @ Main is killer brunch. And Waterstone Pizza is passable for "gourmet" pizza and is very close to the Blackwater Creek Trail.
I haven't been to 5th and federal so I was going off of PH's recommendation mostly (#sources!!).

ps. Did you know you can edit your posts without quoting yourself and re-posting?
Thanks for the suggestions guys, looked up bootleggers and it looks awesome. I think we are gonna book the kirkley. I've stayed there in the past and it looks like its gotten some significant upgrades. Wife wants to know if there are any decent wineries on the way up? I'm not really a wine guy but She's letting me take her to a football game so I gotta reward her somehow lol.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Biltmore has a winery (we stock them in my department at work...yes i am a wine and beer consultant in case you weren't aware guys...)
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys, looked up bootleggers and it looks awesome. I think we are gonna book the kirkley. I've stayed there in the past and it looks like its gotten some significant upgrades. Wife wants to know if there are any decent wineries on the way up? I'm not really a wine guy but She's letting me take her to a football game so I gotta reward her somehow lol.
Bootleggers is good. If you're looking for a good burger, also be sure to check out Brauburger. There's one off of Rivermont and another here in Forest.

Sadly, in the five years we've been here, we haven't checked out local wineries too much. My wife and I were both a bit spoiled as we both grew up on California wine country so it's hard to compare.

Over the summer though, we were at an event at Poplar Forest and tasted some wines from Peaks of Otter Winery. It wasn't bad at all and they had a tasty sangria we bought a carafe of.
Yacht Rock wrote:
flamesfilmguy wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys, looked up bootleggers and it looks awesome. I think we are gonna book the kirkley. I've stayed there in the past and it looks like its gotten some significant upgrades. Wife wants to know if there are any decent wineries on the way up? I'm not really a wine guy but She's letting me take her to a football game so I gotta reward her somehow lol.
Bootleggers is good. If you're looking for a good burger, also be sure to check out Brauburger. There's one off of Rivermont and another here in Forest.

Sadly, in the five years we've been here, we haven't checked out local wineries too much. My wife and I were both a bit spoiled as we both grew up on California wine country so it's hard to compare.

Over the summer though, we were at an event at Poplar Forest and tasted some wines from Peaks of Otter Winery. It wasn't bad at all and they had a tasty sangria we bought a carafe of.
You need to hit Charlottesville for the wineries. Barboursville(the class of the right coast), Veritas, King Family, and Trump(overpriced but beautiful and has MAGA gear)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:

You need to hit Charlottesville for the wineries. Barboursville(the class of the right coast), Veritas, King Family, and Trump(overpriced but beautiful and has MAGA gear)
Definitely agree with Barboursville. Williamsburg has an amazing Governors White (edit: Williamsburg makes the Governor's White not Barboursville)
Last edited by BJWilliams on October 16th, 2018, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJWilliams wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote: You need to hit Charlottesville for the wineries. Barboursville(the class of the right coast), Veritas, King Family, and Trump(overpriced but beautiful and has MAGA gear)
Definitely agree with Barboursville. They have an amazing Governors White
That's my hometown, all 3k of us. Octagon is the best they have though. It's a special occasion red.
By amar0819
Sounds like your trip is much like mine when my girlfriend and I went up for the ODU game. She's not a huge football fan but I will let you know she's been to a few different games with me and she said that was the most fun she's had at a game ever. So cud-dos to Liberty. We did an airbnb and loved it. One of our favorite hole in the wall spots is Taste of Philly where we split a cheese steak. Then made our way over to Water Dog for some adult beverages which were amazing. Do yourself a favor and try the bloody marry there! After the game we were planning on hitting up Rivermont pizza but because of the rain delay we got there too late for food so we stumbled upstairs to Bräuburgers Craft Burgers & Beer of Rivermont. One of the best burgers I've ever had!
By amar0819
There are a ton of wineries coming up from the south (we traveled from Charlotte). We randomly stopped at one on the way home and had a good time...but was definitely not what I thought it was going to be.
amar0819 wrote:Sounds like your trip is much like mine when my girlfriend and I went up for the ODU game. She's not a huge football fan but I will let you know she's been to a few different games with me and she said that was the most fun she's had at a game ever. So cud-dos to Liberty. We did an airbnb and loved it. One of our favorite hole in the wall spots is Taste of Philly where we split a cheese steak. Then made our way over to Water Dog for some adult beverages which were amazing. Do yourself a favor and try the bloody marry there! After the game we were planning on hitting up Rivermont pizza but because of the rain delay we got there too late for food so we stumbled upstairs to Bräuburgers Craft Burgers & Beer of Rivermont. One of the best burgers I've ever had!
We come straight up through Charlotte so I know that route pretty well since I did it over my 4 years at LU. did you stop at the winery in Chatham? I saw there was one right off 29. we were thinking about stopping there on the way home. anyway thanks for all the suggestions guys I think we are definitely doing bootleggers for dinner friday night. still havent decided on sat. yet. anyone tailgating that weekend?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I am sure this trip back to the Mtn and seeing the team live and hearing the roar of 17K of your closest friends will spark the optimism of years ago.
By amar0819
flamesfilmguy wrote:
amar0819 wrote:Sounds like your trip is much like mine when my girlfriend and I went up for the ODU game. She's not a huge football fan but I will let you know she's been to a few different games with me and she said that was the most fun she's had at a game ever. So cud-dos to Liberty. We did an airbnb and loved it. One of our favorite hole in the wall spots is Taste of Philly where we split a cheese steak. Then made our way over to Water Dog for some adult beverages which were amazing. Do yourself a favor and try the bloody marry there! After the game we were planning on hitting up Rivermont pizza but because of the rain delay we got there too late for food so we stumbled upstairs to Bräuburgers Craft Burgers & Beer of Rivermont. One of the best burgers I've ever had!
We come straight up through Charlotte so I know that route pretty well since I did it over my 4 years at LU. did you stop at the winery in Chatham? I saw there was one right off 29. we were thinking about stopping there on the way home. anyway thanks for all the suggestions guys I think we are definitely doing bootleggers for dinner friday night. still havent decided on sat. yet. anyone tailgating that weekend?

We stopped at Grove Winery right outside of Greensboro. It was relaxing and has a little pond in the back to sit by and sip.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]