Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

VarsityLu wrote:I want to remind everyone of last year's homecoming game: KSU. A few interesting pre-game quotes from the thread:

"They have a really weak pre-conference schedule, and barely eeked out a 38-34 win over D2 North Greenville."

"A game we should win easily."

"We will have had 2 weeks to prepare for KSU 's high school offense."

Sounds a lot like what everyone is saying about this year's game. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself. One of the worst things I've ever experienced as a fan was walking out of the stadium last year and hearing the KSU players taunt and make fun of Liberty's jump to FBS as they headed to their locker room. They absolutely reveled in that victory.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24975
All of those statements were right too. That's the worst part.

It's funny when you can eyeball which comment is Ballcoach's immediately.

The difference this year is we all recognize this as a trap game, but one that we should win easily.
KSU made it all the way to the national semifinals last year and that high school offense has accumulated 36 wins in almost 4 years of football. Georgia Tech, Army, Navy and Air Force all run similar styles of offense and yet all 4 have been successful or somewhat successful running those offenses. Let us give credit where credit is due to #2 ranked Owls in FCS this season. KSU also has two schools in their state that run similar offenses that the FBS level which allows them to potentially grab really good transfers who will make immediate impact. I think we as a fan base are ticked that a NEW football program came on the seen and so quickly became a FCS powerhouse. I for one couldn't believe how fast they excelled and climbed the FCS power ladder. What LU fan didn't want the kind of quick success that KSU had. Here is hoping we get quick success that is sustainable at the FBS level, aka Bowl game in year one and year two followed by more marquee wins.

In regards to ISU, they are NOT KSU. KSU's defense is elite in FCS and their running attack as we well know is elite. Could this be a trap game, sure. However, I think with the JUCO guys here and more mature players in the program this trap game will end up being a trend setter for how we approach FCS teams with the result being us taking care of business. Light em' up on Saturday fellas.
ISU is a very good team, we are coming off a big win, we have injuries, this is a game we are suppose to win, this is their FBS super game. Trap set! Win this one and I'll start getting my hopes up for an Orlando date.
Resurgent Idaho State football out for another FBS scalp

The Idaho State football team snapped a 27-game losing streak to FBS opponents last fall by beating Nevada. The Bengals (4-2, 3-1 Big Sky) get another shot this week at a top-level college football program as they take a break from their conference schedule to travel to Liberty University.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/c ... 47605.html
By amar0819
I am late to the party....But answer to Jon, YES the players read this board. Being a walk on the players used to read it in study hall all the time. Especially if they just came off of a good game.
amar0819 wrote:I am late to the party....But answer to Jon, YES the players read this board. Being a walk on the players used to read it in study hall all the time. Especially if they just came off of a good game.
I spent three years in the FOC. Players would ask me all the time what was being said or who someone was. Coaches would too. They've always been way too involved with this site.
Yeah for a while I was nervous my words may negatively impact friends who work for the University, especially when I was told they would be asked if they knew who I was. One of the many reasons I have toned it down over the years. I also have grown up...but not too much. There is no fun in being too grown up.

I say that to say this, their interest in this board has always baffled me. Threats of blocking this site and other site critical of LU were common place when I was a student. I'm not sure if that is still the case or not but clearly that still exists in certain ways since this place is no longer called "flamefans" or "Flames Nation" because of the insane paranoia.

I could probably get up on my soap box all day about this topic but I'll stop....for now.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I once had someone who I considered a friend on the football team chew me out for things I’ve said on here and tell me to stop posting.

So yeah, they read it.
thepostman wrote:Yeah for a while I was nervous my words may negatively impact friends who work for the University, especially when I was told they would be asked if they knew who I was. One of the many reasons I have toned it down over the years. I also have grown up...but not too much. There is no fun in being too grown up.

I say that to say this, their interest in this board has always baffled me. Threats of blocking this site and other site critical of LU were common place when I was a student. I'm not sure if that is still the case or not but clearly that still exists in certain ways since this place is no longer called "flamefans" or "Flames Nation" because of the insane paranoia.

I could probably get up on my soap box all day about this topic but I'll stop....for now.
It's not called Flames Nation because Liberty wanted to use the phrase in marketing and recruiting and not run the chance I'd the site creators doing to them what they did to the site creators.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Looked back at the stats of each game and ive watched them all but new mexico. Essentially the defense has played well when they didnt fear the opponents ability to throw (odu, troy and first half of new mexico). When weve faced a competent passer weve been on our heels with no pressure at all. When we feel confident we cant be beaten over the top weve been average and above average. Fees like we need to be more aggressive up front. Were getting beat deep in those other games anyway.

That scares me for tomorrow and umass especially being games that otherwise we should match up fine.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Ran by KFC after we checked in for #LUHC18. The bengals are eating KFC tonight. I made sure to tell their chow runners "welcome to Lynchburg" after reading that silly Troy comment.
I missed the silly Troy comment. Can you enlighten me?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Looked back at the stats of each game and ive watched them all but new mexico. Essentially the defense has played well when they didnt fear the opponents ability to throw (odu, troy and first half of new mexico). When weve faced a competent passer weve been on our heels with no pressure at all. When we feel confident we cant be beaten over the top weve been average and above average. Fees like we need to be more aggressive up front. Were getting beat deep in those other games anyway.

That scares me for tomorrow and umass especially being games that otherwise we should match up fine.
No need to worry any more. Wimbo is in the booth now, that fixed the defense. :roll:
Class of 20Something wrote:
thepostman wrote:Yeah for a while I was nervous my words may negatively impact friends who work for the University, especially when I was told they would be asked if they knew who I was. One of the many reasons I have toned it down over the years. I also have grown up...but not too much. There is no fun in being too grown up.

It's not called Flames Nation because Liberty wanted to use the phrase in marketing and recruiting and not run the chance I'd the site creators doing to them what they did to the site creators.
And it wasn't too long after that that you heard A Sea of Red in reference to the crowd way more often than you ever did before.

So I am sure it won't be long until Liberty attempts to pull the same move with A Sea of Red, especially if we get too negative.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]