Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Idaho State University
Pocatello, Idaho

ISU Football Official Site

BigSkyFans ISU Message Board

Public Institution
Founded in 1901
Enrollment: 13,500
Athletic Conference: Big Sky (FCS)
Nickname: Bengals
Notable Football Alumni: Jared Allen, Merril Hoge, Marvin Lewis

Rob Phenicie
2nd Season as ISU Head Coach

2018 Schedule/Results
  • 08.31 - WESTERN STATE (CO) .......................W 45-10
    09.15 - @ CALIFORNIA ................................. L 23-45
    09.22 - @ NORTH DAKOTA* ......................... W 25-21
    09.29 - NORTHERN ARIZONA* ..................... W 56-42
    10.06 - IDAHO* ........................................... W 62-28
    10.13 - @ UC-DAVIS* ................................... L 37-44 (OT)
    10.20 - @ LIBERTY
    10.27 - MONTANA STATE*
    11.03 - @ PORTLAND STATE*
    11.10 - @ CAL POLY-SLO*
    11.17 - WEBER STATE*

Key Players

#4 Tanner Gueller
    6' 3" 235 lbs Senior Quarterback
    Thru 6 Games: 101-of-173 for 1738 Yds with 17 TDs & 5 INTs + 51 Carries for 234 Yds and 2 Rushing TDs

#23 James Madison
    5' 11" 227 lbs Senior Running Back
    Thru 6 Games: 94 Carries for 503 Yds and 8 TDs + 7 Catches for 41 Yds

#2 Mitch Gueller
    6' 3" 220 lbs Junior Receiver
    Thru 6 Games: 31 Carries for 761 Yds and 4 TDs

#38 Kody Graves
    6' 1" 225 lbs Junior Linebacker
    In 5 Games: 50 Tackles including 1.5 for Loss + 1 Sack + 2 INTs

#5 Christian McFarland
    6' 0" 190 lbs Defensive Back (JUCO Transfer)
    Thru 6 Games: 40 Tackles including 2 for Loss + 1 INT + 1 Forced Fumble + 2 Fumble Recoveries

#44 Christian Holland
    6' 0" 225 lbs Senior Linebacker
    Thru 6 Games: 48 Tackles including 1 for Loss + 1 Fumble Recovery
By Ewglenn
I’ve said it all season, we lose this game. They were technically ranked 27th this past week. They beat down Idaho who just dropped from FBS to FCS this year(62-28). They went to OT with UC Davis (ranked 14th and they beat San Jose St this year). They beat a N Arizona by 14 (the same team that beat UTEP BY 20). Are they NDSU? No, but they are a good team in one of the best FCS conferences. They have the ability to beat a lot of lower tier G5 schools. We should win this game but I think this is a trap so I think they will spoil homecoming. Idaho St 49 Liberty 45.
I agree. This game will tell us a ton about how far we have come as a program. Can we be mentally tough and win a game we are supposed to win against solid competition? This game scares me.
I think keeping Wimbo in the box for the rest of the season needs to happen. It helped our defense tremendously. I hate the inconsistency of our team and until we start winning games we are supposed to and not playing down to our opponents, no one will be completely confident in this team's ability to win football games. I understand other FBS teams have that problem too but our program is unique in that it has become normal to lose winnable games. I said the NMSU game was a trap game because of the emotional win over NM & our atrocious defense. This game is no different even though Idaho State is FCS. I want to believe our team will win by 20-30 points but history tells me that probably won't be the case after a tough win against a good Troy team. That being said, I have hope we will win by at least two TDs.
Pilotguy24 wrote:I think keeping Wimbo in the box for the rest of the season needs to happen. It helped our defense tremendously. I hate the inconsistency of our team and until we start winning games we are supposed to and not playing down to our opponents, no one will be completely confident in this team's ability to win football games. I understand other FBS teams have that problem too but our program is unique in that it has become normal to lose winnable games. I said the NMSU game was a trap game because of the emotional win over NM & our atrocious defense. This game is no different even though Idaho State is FCS. I want to believe our team will win by 20-30 points but history tells me that probably won't be the case after a tough win against a good Troy team. That being said, I have hope we will win by at least two TDs.
I would really like to see us in a position to let the second team get a lot of reps in. I've always thought that Mason was better at running the hurry up than Buckshot, but he doesn't have as much arm talent.

That reminds me. The idea of sideline audibles just makes me irrationally angry. Is it the QB or the rest of the offense holding us back from Buckshot changing the call at the line? As a 3 year starter, Buck should be capable of turning into a cerebral QB(even if he can't articulate it in post game interviews) and changing to favorable plays based on coverage. With an established run game and our deep threat, getting the ball off within 15 seconds of game clock could really gas defenses.

Also, I saw double sideline audibles yesterday. Stop that nonsense.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Here is a preview,

Would be a good win for this team moving to becoming bowl eligible BUT..................... tons of issues for the message board AD to figure out and discuss.
R i wrote:Here is a preview,

Would be a good win for this team moving to becoming bowl eligible BUT..................... tons of issues for the message board AD to figure out and discuss.
You're awfully salty today. I get that we have differing opinions on things, but why are you tearing into people who might not be chugging the Kool Aid as hard as you?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Most of the year the negativity is tolerable, not after biggest win in school history. Makes it clear that some have drawn a line in the sand and will be negative and miserable after every win.

"Liberty Wins National Title!" - yeah but did you see the red helmets and how shiny they were, gross. Not a good look for the school, and Id be surprised if any recruit ever chose to play their again.

That's the vibes the haters put out.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I can’t take anyone seriously if they use the term “vibes” in their argument.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'd argue your relentless positivity towards things is the same type of line in the sand you're claiming others are having on the opposite end of the spectrum.
Relentless positivity after the biggest win in school history.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:I can’t take anyone seriously if they use the term “vibes” in their argument.
:roll:

Thanks for the contribution
Idaho State may be 4-2 in one of the toughest conferences in FCS, but their 1-2 on the road and their defense has given up 36.7 ppg on the road. For the entire season their defense is giving up 32 ppg. I know our defense for the season isn't much better in that category but I feel like our defense turned a corner last week and I see both of our FCS games this year being a blow-out in our favor.
R i wrote:Most of the year the negativity is tolerable, not after biggest win in school history. Makes it clear that some have drawn a line in the sand and will be negative and miserable after every win.

"Liberty Wins National Title!" - yeah but did you see the red helmets and how shiny they were, gross. Not a good look for the school, and Id be surprised if any recruit ever chose to play their again.

That's the vibes the haters put out.
What negativity? If you think we are negative then maybe FBS isnt for you. Go take a read at any top FBS program's message boards. It makes us look like a beacon of light.

I may think we will only grow if we move on from Gill (there is still time for him and his staff to prove me wrong) but that doesn't take away from how thrilled I am that we won and are 3-3.
Jonathan Carone wrote:I actually think we win this one fairly easily. With so many expecting us to lose, the team will use that to make sure to prove everyone wrong. They tend to use what we say around here as motivation.
Didn't realize it until Frankie Hickson made a comment after the Troy game.
Jonathan Carone wrote:Did he actually say something publicly? It’s rare they admit they pay attention.
I was the post-game interview and Frankie said as Bobbie asked a question. He didn't point out specifics but I'm sure we are included when he said 'people.'
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]