Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

If you were AD, what would you do?

Give the staff an extension
14%
Keep the head coach but force assistant/coordinator changes
14%
Terminate the entire staff
71%
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Same as last week. Keep the coach but only if major staff changes are made. Otherwise...terminate with quickness
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I'm shocked the general consensus hasn't changed.
We’ve had 6 years to know that every great win is followed by a what just happened loss?
By cruzan_flame13
thepostman wrote:I'm shocked the general consensus hasn't changed.
Where were you the past 5-6 years (especially the past 3 seasons)?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Umm right here on this board and seeing how quickly people change their minds based on one win. My opinion hasn't changed on the coaching staff for 2 years plus.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Transition year and we are currently projected by ESPN to be in a bowl. That's better than any of your fantasy hires would have done.

A HUGE WIN BUT................ fire the staff . This ruining my vibes on a Monday morning after a big win.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think we will be better off in the long run if we move on but the season isnt over and there were some positive changes made this week.

Once the season is over we can assess everything. I get why Jon is posting these polls weekly but it is silly to think one win changes anything.
By Jonathan Carone
thepostman wrote:I get why Jon is posting these polls weekly but it is silly to think one win changes anything.
Which is exactly why I'm posting these. I want to see if the people on here are consistent or if they're just blowing in the wind. People may not like my opinion, but I've been saying the same thing since 2014.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I don't see that the people on here are any different than any other team's fan site in any sport. Haters, kool-aid drinkers and an assortment of people in between. Depends on which crowd is the loudest as to what sort of tenor the forum has.

As for the poll, I have been in the fire the staff and start over camp and remain there. But, if we can see more changes like we saw with the defense this week, my mind might could be changed. Changes in coaching method and technique seem to have been few and far between with this staff. Not sure there are enough games left in the season to do that though. I'm pulling for LU to win no matter who is in charge.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That i would agree with FFG. But like i said, even keeping them would need to be a part of significant staff changes mandated by the AD.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Keep winning but more important keep making good adjustments and coaching decisions and take personal responsibility and votes will change. We all want a program we can be proud of regardless of who is in charge.

Step 1 was Saturday. Now take another step next week.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It’s a one game sample but I’m interested to see if the D Coordinator stays off the field and in the booth
By willflop
Purple Haize wrote:It’s a one game sample but I’m interested to see if the D Coordinator stays off the field and in the booth
In one of the post game interviews, I think Wimbo said he was going to. I'm really curious to see how much of a difference this might make. If it's like chess, certainly seems it could make a big difference.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:It’s a one game sample but I’m interested to see if the D Coordinator stays off the field and in the booth
In one of the post game interviews, I think Wimbo said he was going to. I'm really curious to see how much of a difference this might make. If it's like chess, certainly seems it could make a big difference.
It may seem like a small change but I think it could be a big deal. Could totally change the dynamic on the sidelines and lead to in games adjustments more quickly. Some D Coordinators Do well on the sideline some don’t. I’d like to think this is a positive. If nothing else it shows a willingness to try to change and adapt
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Coach Gill has shown the willingness to try new things and be innovative. Our coach prior to Gill got released because of stubbornness and unwillingness to try new things ( New Defensive Coordinator to be specific)
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I give the staff kudos for trying something new but this has not been the norm with Gill. I'm kind of shocked to read someone say otherwise.

His stubbornness has cost us long term success as a program. Same thing would've happened with the last staff but both sides, rightfully, decided to part ways.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
willflop wrote:
It may seem like a small change but I think it could be a big deal. Could totally change the dynamic on the sidelines and lead to in games adjustments more quickly. Some D Coordinators Do well on the sideline some don’t. I’d like to think this is a positive. If nothing else it shows a willingness to try to change and adapt
Coach Wimberly said his wife had been nagging him to go up to the box for a couple years. He should have listened much sooner haha. And he should ask her for more suggestions on how to improve the coaching performance. Or maybe Ian should hire her as a consultant. :idea:
By R i
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I give the staff kudos for trying something new but this has not been the norm with Gill. I'm kind of shocked to read someone say otherwise.

His stubbornness has cost us long term success as a program. Same thing would've happened with the last staff but both sides, rightfully, decided to part ways.
Fired Wagner, Switched OC several times, Special teams coordinator has been altered. We have gone from a Pro style to a 5 wide look . Every game we have a new look. Fake field goal against JMU , Philly Special, Multiple trick plays. Starting Freshman QB over Masha, The tempo can change on a dime in game (see the final drive Saturday) .

Gill has proven to be far from stubborn, he is willing to try anything to get a Win and move the program forward. I completely disagree that he isn't usually willing to try new things.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I don’t believe an admin should tell a head coach to change his/her staff. Hiring/firing and developing staff is one of the greatest responsibilities of a head coach. If an administrator feels the coach isn’t cutting it in this area, put them on a plan of improvement. If improvement isn’t gained, and it affects winning/losing that much, let the head coach go.

Administrators, many of whom these days have never coached, should be very careful about doing a cosch’s job for them. Evaluating the job they’re doing and hiring/firing coaches is their responsibility. Once that’s accomplished, give them the resources and development they need, and get out of the way.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I can get behind that. Not saying it was right of JB to ask DR to change defensive coordinators.
LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]