Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
I think the low attendance shows the lack of excitement and low expectations around the program from alumni and out of town fans. You’re relying predominantly on students, their families, and locals. 17k is a great base and is right in line with where we’ve been the last few years. We just haven’t created a reason for 5000 out of town fans to drive in and spend the day on the mountain.
By willflop
The student section was probably 25% lighter than ODU. I was surprised how bad it was overall. Although Troy may be one of the biggest teams to ever come to Lynchburg, I think this also proves our fan base just doesn't care and/or probably hasn't even heard of Troy. If we would have beaten NMSU, and come into this game 3/2, I wonder how much it would have helped. Hard to think the missing fans didn't come just for that reason. Maybe it's an after effect of the 47/7 tromping from NT.

The energy in the stadium felt weak too. I think being an afternoon game gave it a different feel, which I didn't like as much. It was only 62 degrees, but the sun was blaring for 3.5 hours straight and fairly draining. If it was a 90 degree October day with full sun, it would have been brutal on the east side. I would propose a transition for these early/mid October games, maybe 4pm, then move to 2pm after the hour fall back.
By willflop
flameshaw wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:No one predicted us to even hang with Troy physically. I am excited that we learned how to tackle and limit the run for 4 quarters. Secondary is an issue still but dramatic improvement.
No intent to be unduly negative, but it should be pretty easy to stop the run, when you know the other team can't pass the ball. However, any improvement over the last few weeks, is more than welcome.
I'm not sure if we knew that going in or not. Although small sample size, Smith was throwing for 65% coming into Liberty and proceeded to go 7/9 with 90 yards and a TD to start the game. We were stopping the run during that time.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I actually got sunburnt yesterday on the east side.

It was worth it though. :D
By Jonathan Carone
Students show up significantly less the earlier the game is. That’s been proven and is why we used to never have a game before 3:30. I like the idea of a 2pm kick a lot personally for many different reasons, but we will have to be willing to accept a sleepier crowd and fewer students.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Students show up significantly less the earlier the game is. That’s been proven and is why we used to never have a game before 3:30. I like the idea of a 2pm kick a lot personally for many different reasons, but we will have to be willing to accept a sleepier crowd and fewer students.
Me too. Helps me with my 6 hour drive home to be in just under midnight.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
I’m just loving that the teams coming into Lynchburg are who they are. So much better playing Troy vs GWU or Presbyterian.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:I’m just loving that the teams coming into Lynchburg are who they are. So much better playing Troy vs GWU or Presbyterian.
Ditto.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:No one predicted us to even hang with Troy physically. I am excited that we learned how to tackle and limit the run for 4 quarters. Secondary is an issue still but dramatic improvement.
No intent to be unduly negative, but it should be pretty easy to stop the run, when you know the other team can't pass the ball. However, any improvement over the last few weeks, is more than welcome.
I'm not sure if we knew that going in or not. Although small sample size, Smith was throwing for 65% coming into and proceeded to go 7/9 with 90 yards and a TD to start the game. We were stopping the run during that time.
He was billed a very good passer, and a better runner than the guy he replaced. I believe on his first run we forced a fumble.

Flames Club needs to double down promoting GA group deals. Should be offering bus rides from Roanoke, Danville for local church groups. Could stage at TRBC campuses.
By rtb72
Team played a good game....defense was the key. I agree with Jon that the jury is still out on how monumental this win was. Are we going to consistently perform week in and week out? It seems we go through this every year. Big win...Big Loss....Big win....Big loss.....below expectation season....repeat....

Hopefully, there won't be a St. Francis moment this year...we win the ones we should win and are competitive as practical in the other games. I also believe it would be inappropriate to give a lot of credit to Gill. When we underperform...he puts it on the players or one of the staff. Can't have it both ways....
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:I’m just loving that the teams coming into Lynchburg are who they are. So much better playing Troy vs GWU or Presbyterian.
+1
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think the low attendance shows the lack of excitement and low expectations around the program from alumni and out of town fans. You’re relying predominantly on students, their families, and locals. 17k is a great base and is right in line with where we’ve been the last few years. We just haven’t created a reason for 5000 out of town fans to drive in and spend the day on the mountain.
Agree 100%. I live 2.5 hours away. I probably wouldn't have come to yesterday's game after that big turd we left in NM. However, I did have some out-of-state family in L'burg, so I made the trip. It is hard to make that drive with such a Jeckel and Hyde team effort, inconsistent performances, etc. Because of the many detours yesterday from the Hurricane, I almost came back home about an hour out from my house. Glad I still made the trip, the win was worth it.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:Team played a good game....defense was the key. I agree with Jon that the jury is still out on how monumental this win was. Are we going to consistently perform week in and week out? It seems we go through this every year. Big win...Big Loss....Big win....Big loss.....below expectation season....repeat....

Hopefully, there won't be a St. Francis moment this year...we win the ones we should win and are competitive as practical in the other games. I also believe it would be inappropriate to give a lot of credit to Gill. When we underperform...he puts it on the players or one of the staff. Can't have it both ways....
Good post.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think the low attendance shows the lack of excitement and low expectations around the program from alumni and out of town fans. You’re relying predominantly on students, their families, and locals. 17k is a great base and is right in line with where we’ve been the last few years. We just haven’t created a reason for 5000 out of town fans to drive in and spend the day on the mountain.
Agree 100%. I live 2.5 hours away. I probably wouldn't have come to yesterday's game after that big turd we left in NM. However, I did have some out-of-state family in L'burg, so I made the trip. It is hard to make that drive with such a Jeckel and Hyde team effort, inconsistent performances, etc. Because of the many detours yesterday from the Hurricane, I almost came back home about an hour out from my house. Glad I still made the trip, the win was worth it.
I've noticed 2/3's of FBS teams are doing the same thing. Only a handful are consistent week in and week out :dontgetit
By CCWMichael
Great win. We had to work through plenty of adversity and beat a darn good team. It was a ton of fun to watch.
looked like a real football game.
I predicted three wins this year, 4 as a bonus, and six would be impressive. Six wins does not seem so far off now.
That is impressive.
ALL CELEBRATION HERE!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:First off - yes, it is a good win. Every FBS win is a good win.
This is the first thing I said before discussing anything else but God forbid we try to bring nuance and critical thinking into a conversation around here. You’re automatically labeled a hater or negative if you don’t immediately shotgun the kool aid.
Its what comes after the “But” that people really want to say.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
This however is spot on and always been the #1 issue regarding any move up to FBS. LU has always had a soft fan base outside the TRBC sphere and even within it certainly can’t be categorized as rabid. As stated below your post somewhere the vast majority of LU fans don’t know the difference between Troy and Gardner Webb. Or care.
Overcoming this hurdle is the biggest challenge to the Department. There is a reason why the “If you build it they will come” philosophy only works in the movies
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
This however is spot on and always been the #1 issue regarding any move up to FBS. LU has always had a soft fan base outside the TRBC sphere and even within it certainly can’t be categorized as rabid. As stated below your post somewhere the vast majority of LU fans don’t know the difference between Troy and Gardner Webb. Or care.
Overcoming this hurdle is the biggest challenge to the Department. There is a reason why the “If you build it they will come” philosophy only works in the movies
I know we aren’t a school drawing droves of people but some of you act like we draw peanuts. Take a look at 3/4 of the G5 crowds on tv or in photos. We outdraw (on a good weather day) at least 50% if not pushing 70% of G5 programs. I’m talking look at the stands not announced numbers. I was disappointed at yesterday’s attendance too but then I took a step back and thought about it. Even while we were FCS we’ve always drawn pretty well. We’re known for traveling well too amongst FCS anyways. That’ll be learned in the G5 world soon enough. My point is there’s a ton we should be thankful for attendance wise that a lot of G5’s can’t be.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Dude. “17k is a great base” is right there in the post. How is saying something is “great” acting like we are drawing peanuts?
Dude. I never said you. I said some of you. The whole worlds not out to get you Carone.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:You quoted my post. That’s usually a sign that you’re speaking directly to what someone said.
I was quoting PH response to your post but not just PH, but the others who always act like we don’t draw well. I was too lazy to delete your post as I’m on my phone and it’s annoying waiting word by word as you delete on a phone.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]