Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By R i
Registration Days Posts
Glad you aren't on the bah humbug wagon all year. Basketball should be fun, not sure about baseball.

I definitely am not the positivity police, I understand the need for questioning attitudes, but just as I did with Coastal and JMU wins, I will take this week and relish in the fact we beat a top 40 Troy team , and take as many shots at the Dark Side as possible.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I haven't really seen much negativity after the win. Questions were raised by Ri and people like you to those who are critical and then are unhappy with the answers given because they aren't positive enough. I don't get it.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:FilmGuy and SJ , definitely stings a little more when you guys are quick to point out the flaws and not celebrate the victories because I guess I remember how influential both of you were in creating positive momentum for the fan base. So for every comment you bash the fan base for being "naïve " or only give out compliments conditionally, I feel vindicated to post after a big win.

Nothing personal, SJ (sorry JC sounds too irreverent) knows I respect his opinions more than anyone on the board, and I know you have been around football and college athletics for a long time FFG. I crave the old days when a coaching search on this message board was the highlight of my week. That cant happen when the momentum of the fan base is consistently bah humbug.
I'm all in for baseball and basketball as well.
You know this just as well as I do because you have been around Liberty as long as I have: We as a football program have a history of losing a game or two a season that we have no business losing every single year. Kinda takes the fun out of big wins when you feel like you have to hold your breath every time you play a CSU or Presby. I get it we are FBS now and expectations are slightly down. but can you imagine if we had beaten NMSU prior to this weeks win? We'd need 1 FBS win and one FCS win to be bowl eligible. I gave credit where it was due. this week was a good win. I'm hesitant to call it the best win in program history because I still think the JMU playoff in is the best. and 2008 elon a close second(if we had made the playoffs, still bitter about that.) I am just tired of the constant let down. maybe its because I'm an atlanta sports fan that has made me so jaded lol.
All that aside, good win. beat Idaho State. oh and one more thing, can we advocate for our guys to rough up UVA pretty good?(Sorry Smoothie) My current employer is having some problems on defense lol.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
There hasn't been a ton of negativity after the win, but it was the first response of many to say ,

" Good Win BUT we will probably lose next week, Troy isn't that good"

Am I placing too much value on the hope and optimism and positivity of a few influential fans ? YES! But it sure is more fun when this core group of fanatics (FlamesFanMsgBoard) gets more excited about big wins instead of pointing out fatal flaws non stop.

Ill get off my soap box Friday.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:There hasn't been a ton of negativity after the win, but it was the first response of many to say ,

Am I placing too much value on the hope and optimism and positivity of a few influential fans ? YES! But it sure is more fun when this core group of LUnatics (FlamesFanMsgBoard) gets more excited about big wins instead of pointing out fatal flaws non stop.

FIFY :)
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:There hasn't been a ton of negativity after the win, but it was the first response of many to say ,

Am I placing too much value on the hope and optimism and positivity of a few influential fans ? YES! But it sure is more fun when this core group of fanatics (FlamesFanMsgBoard) gets more excited about big wins instead of pointing out fatal flaws non stop.

Yeah I get that but it is so, so hard to allow myself to get to high after a win after being let down time and time again but don't let that sentiment confuse you. I am very proud of the win this past Saturday. It was a very, very good win.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
NOW WE GOT SOME MOMENTUM ! Anyone else want to let go of CSU or St Francis or Presby or (fill in the blanks)................... and join in that this team just got a MASSIVE WIN on Saturday !

Go FLAMES!
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Speaking of the value of hopeful and optimistic fans, the momentum it builds I do think is important. There are several much more important factors involved, but momentum of this board and fans on social media, do contribute ever so slightly in fan engagement. Which will affect season ticket sales and attendance.

So for all you bah humbug posters, and overly critical fans, you are directly affecting the program. (sarcasm font)
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
First, if a team can't handle fans being critical, they have no business fielding a team. It's part of the environment and as others said earlier, this board is tame compared to other boards.

Second, as far as football is concerned, Liberty hasn't had a problem recently getting people to show up to games compared with other teams.

Fans aren't the root cause of Liberty's lack of consistency on the football field over the years.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Watching this game for the 4th time and my favorite non football moment is a sideline report talking about Troy's 3rd sting QB. He is shown in the camera angle and in the background is a female Joker just staring at him! LOL. He turns toward her then does a double take . Hahahaha! Got to give the Joker's props! They do a great job!
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Also, to back up what YR was saying...If we all were not fan and supporters of the program we wouldn't be here. Just because we don't drink the Kool-Aid every day doesn't mean we don't want to see LU make it to the top. I have been a fan since 1991. I have been on this board since 2007. I want us to win. I want us to represent our school and faith well. I will support our team, players and coaches but I will not do so blindly. Go back and look at the history and I was one of the first to suggest and support TG's hiring. I still hope he succeeds and proves all of us naysayers wrong. I have not written him off. Adapt and grow coach. Even that Alabama coach with multiple trophies is not doing things the same way he was when he got here to town. Adapt and grow.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I watched the game again last night after church and as a tenured arm-chair coach :D, that was the best defensive performance since probably the JMU playoff win or the Coastal conference title win in 2014. Our tackling was night and day from the previous 4 games and check this we held Troy to less yards than our opening weekend win over ODU!! We were in the right gaps tackled well all night and aside from the 4 BIG plays 2 passing and 2 rushing, Troy's offense was practically non-existent. Something else I noticed and I do equate this to Wimbo being in the press box was the amount of pressure we put on the QB from beginning to end. That my friends explains why he over threw and under threw his receivers.

Something else I thought was interesting. Buck started 0-4 with an interception and two of those incompletions were drops by DJ. However, after that 0-4 start He went 9-15(60%) for the rest of the 1st half and 17-28(61%) for the remainder of the game. We can direct those numbers any way we want but what I saw was a QB battling and making plays especially on that last 4th quarter drive where he went 7-9 with key 3rd down conversions.

I am still celebrating this win as I hope you guys are too!
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
I just saw this on the Troy message board. Hopefully it’s not true..

“One note on the Liberty Trip. Beautiful area ... my sister lives in Charlottesville and got to do some history stuff too!. Looks like the team has good support ... and couldn't ask for better weather. But, the least hospitality I've at any of the away venues I've visited. One guy spoke to me and welcomed me ... and he was a worker in the stadium. Heck ... at least LSU fans spoke to me a bit ... before saying "Tiger Bait"!! ;)

http://troyfans.com/thread/4974/troy-li ... er?page=12
By Class of 20Something
I gave some folks directions around the stadium. As a passionate fan, I tend to fall into the trash talking trap easy so I try to avoid putting myself in those situations.
By CCWMichael
Liberty22 wrote:I just saw this on the Troy message board. Hopefully it’s not true..

“One note on the Liberty Trip. Beautiful area ... my sister lives in Charlottesville and got to do some history stuff too!. Looks like the team has good support ... and couldn't ask for better weather. But, the least hospitality I've at any of the away venues I've visited. One guy spoke to me and welcomed me ... and he was a worker in the stadium. Heck ... at least LSU fans spoke to me a bit ... before saying "Tiger Bait"!! ;)

http://troyfans.com/thread/4974/troy-li ... er?page=12
I am not sure if he was looking for a group hug or what.
Generally, I near an opposing fan it is short and sweet unless they specifically engage afterwards.
Me: welcome to Liberty I hope you enjoy your stay 'but not too much"
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The visitor section is right next go the student section so I'm sure that had something to do with it but when I was at the ODU game plenty of LU fans were chatting it up with them.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Troy looking fantastic right now. Up 31-10 early second half. Good for us. Also, they just ran the philly special and scored a TD which we ran on them on that 2 pt conversion.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Great win for the Flames. Troy is the best home win Liberty has ever had. It's a solid program. While the Troy transition to a new QB benefited LU, it doesn't change the impact of the win. I was on the other side of the world during this game and not able to attend this week. It was the first time that I have not watched or listened to a game in about 10 years. I set my alarm for a middle of the night wake-up, but was stymied by the Great Firewall in my attempts to listen to the LFSN radio broadcast.

While the attendance was disappointing for a homecoming game, there is a little more to the numbers. My son flew to LU for homecoming with a high school friend. I had already distributed our season tickets to others so they had planned to pay for a general admission ticket and go to the student section. Some family friends had a group of 10+ that had also flew into Lynchburg for homecoming. General admission tickets were sold out. In both cases, they decided not to pay $25 for the reserved seats because they had not planned on spending that much even though they really wanted to attend the game. How many other people had the same experience?
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:Great win for the Flames. Troy is the best home win Liberty has ever had. It's a solid program. While the Troy transition to a new QB benefited LU, it doesn't change the impact of the win. I was on the other side of the world during this game and not able to attend this week. It was the first time that I have not watched or listened to a game in about 10 years. I set my alarm for a middle of the night wake-up, but was stymied by the Great Firewall in my attempts to listen to the LFSN radio broadcast.

While the attendance was disappointing for a homecoming game, there is a little more to the numbers. My son flew to LU for homecoming with a high school friend. I had already distributed our season tickets to others so they had planned to pay for a general admission ticket and go to the student section. Some family friends had a group of 10+ that had also flew into Lynchburg for homecoming. General admission tickets were sold out. In both cases, they decided not to pay $25 for the reserved seats because they had not planned on spending that much even though they really wanted to attend the game. How many other people had the same experience?
Seriously, no offense to your family and friends, but I find this ridiculous. That’s the problem with some Liberty fans. They won’t pay standard FBS rates but will go watch VT or UVA play a G5/FCS and pay the same or more. Not saying your family would just others. With that many people they could have gotten a group rate. In the future it’s be better for them to call in advance and get the group discount.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
This was more of a communication issue. My son did not have the cash with him or he would have paid for the reserved seats. The other group spent 30 minutes trying to check with others because they thought there were other tickets available from season ticket holders. They have the money and could have spent it, but after time had passed, they decided against it. They thought that there would be GA tickets available. It does seem odd to me that attendance was only 16K and GA was sold out. Are there 8K+ unsold reserved seats in inventory?

My point was not about these individuals not getting into the game, I just wondered how may others may have thought there would be GA tickets available. Is this the first game that GA has sold out since the expansion?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LOTS of empty seats in the upper deck reserved section on the Baptist (Carter) side.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Or LU can stop deceiving fans about “sellouts” in order to make people compulsively buy tickets they otherwise wouldn’t. Or, in this case, people who can’t plop down $25-35 per game.
By Jonathan Carone
It may be worth revisiting if we are at a point where the entire second deck on the Baptist side are reserved seating. The bleachers up there may need to go back to GA until there’s more demand. I’m not sure what the answer there is.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]