Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I’ll have to pass on the Kool Aid. Went on Kool Aid benders from 2006-2010. Realized I had a problem in 2011. Been trying to cut back ever since.
you could just frame this and make it the Liberty Flames fan creed lol.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Liberty22 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:You quoted my post. That’s usually a sign that you’re speaking directly to what someone said.
I was quoting PH response to your post but not just PH, but the others who always act like we don’t draw well. I was too lazy to delete your post as I’m on my phone and it’s annoying waiting word by word as you delete on a phone.
I knew you were quoting me :D
17 k is a good draw. It’s in line with what LU had at peak FCS games The expectation by many on this Board was that people would materialize because LU is FBS and made huge additions to the Stadium.
17 k is a respectable number. I would think off the top of my head it’s Middle of the road for FBS. For every Big House....there’s Coastal. But the question needs to be answered how to drive that number up to meet the expanded stadium
:exactly
It was more a response to multiple posts I’ve seen that led to that. I agree with you here.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
The way i see it, obviously the first thing to do is win. Fans show up for a winning program. You might not always pack the stadium, but people will show up. Second, we need more commercial presence on radio and TV. When i was living in Lynchburg you really only heard ads on WRVL, WQLU and sometimes on ESPNinVA. We need to be in regular ad rotation on at least 85% of the stations in the area in the LRD area (Lynchburg/Roanoke/Danville). We have the $$$ to get that kind of ad expenditure i would think. Third, get out into the community. Have players visit the schools and volunteer and have assemblies where players and cheerleaders are taking pics with the students and tossing red shirts to the kids and Sparky is entertaining. There are probably other ways but those are what came to my mind
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
As a Bama fan since birth and a Kool-aid drinking Flames fan since 2005(Karchers last year with a 1-10 record and the last losing season LU has had btw) this past weekend brought praise from the dreaded plains of Alabama, which I thoroughly enjoyed especially since Tennessee beat Auburn on the plains. Enjoy the reading of this Auburn fan board from scout.com entitled "wait...Liberty beat Troy."

[url]https://scout.com/college/auburn/Board/ ... 75173//url]
By R i
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I’ll have to pass on the Kool Aid. Went on Kool Aid benders from 2006-2010. Realized I had a problem in 2011. Been trying to cut back ever since.
you could just frame this and make it the Liberty Flames fan creed lol.
Both of you quoted in the same post, in a dark vs light debate thread. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to point out when you both spewed hate that we had zero chance to beat Coastal in 2014, and called for Gill to be fired then. We did beat coastal (which SJ claimed for years was only luck) and we went on to beat JMU in the playoffs that year. Soaking in misery every since.

Which really sucks, because Saturday was a very fun game, and amazing experience with 17K of my closest friends in the beautiful Williams Stadium. Wish you guys would jump on the wagon and enjoy these wins , instead of being LU Eeyores.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Back on Topic : Celebrating the Troy Win, (take the attendance discussion, and Fire Gill junk somewhere else ) Here are my Pros from the day.

Stadium was complete and looked great. The views of the Mtns on the East side are some of the best Stadium views in the country. (Hope the new FOC doesn't mitigate)

Remington Green is a solid tackling machine. Once he gets his hands on you, its over. He did a great job.

Austin Lewis had the play of the game in my opinion. Down 2 with 6 minutes left, and he bull rushed the tackle and made a brilliant sack. He will be great for LU. Really stopped them and kept them out of field goal range. Great Play Mr Lewis !

Game being on ESPN (can watch the replay several times and get the enjoyment back that the haters try to suck out)

Defense in general was good. Got lots of pressure up front. #11 and #54 are our best players on the roster.

17K fans that were engaged and knew the game. We have come a long way in a few years in with fan base in game awareness. (If you haven't been to a game in a while, no need to comment)

BJ Farrow is so awkward but super effective. Hes been around seems like forever. Glad to see him get that game winner, especially after his family member tweeted we were losers for not targeting him enough recently.

White helmets - They are so much better with this eagle logo on them.

Sparky - Really good mascot . Props to whoever is in the suite this year.
By Class of 20Something
BJWilliams wrote:The way i see it, obviously the first thing to do is win. Fans show up for a winning program. You might not always pack the stadium, but people will show up. Second, we need more commercial presence on radio and TV. When i was living in Lynchburg you really only heard ads on WRVL, WQLU and sometimes on ESPNinVA. We need to be in regular ad rotation on at least 85% of the stations in the area in the LRD area (Lynchburg/Roanoke/Danville). We have the $$$ to get that kind of ad expenditure i would think. Third, get out into the community. Have players visit the schools and volunteer and have assemblies where players and cheerleaders are taking pics with the students and tossing red shirts to the kids and Sparky is entertaining. There are probably other ways but those are what came to my mind
My daughter was doing laps at my table at lunch(not a fight worth having lately) Saturday and one of the cheerleaders got on her level and let my daughter play with the pompoms for a moment. I haven't seen that look of awe on my daughters face since the first time she saw a horse in person. Really just a heartwarming moment where a cheerleader stopped to make my daughters day.

The family friendly environment is underappreciated.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:As a Bama fan since birth and a Kool-aid drinking Flames fan since 2005(Karchers last year with a 1-10 record and the last losing season LU has had btw) this past weekend brought praise from the dreaded plains of Alabama, which I thoroughly enjoyed especially since Tennessee beat Auburn on the plains. Enjoy the reading of this Auburn fan board from scout.com entitled "wait...Liberty beat Troy."

[url]https://scout.com/college/auburn/Board/ ... 75173//url]
https://scout.com/college/auburn/Board/ ... -123275173
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:
Both of you quoted in the same post, in a dark vs light debate thread. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to point out when you both spewed hate that we had zero chance to beat Coastal in 2014, and called for Gill to be fired then. We did beat coastal (which SJ claimed for years was only luck) and we went on to beat JMU in the playoffs that year. Soaking in misery every since.

Which really sucks, because Saturday was a very fun game, and amazing experience with 17K of my closest friends in the beautiful Williams Stadium. Wish you guys would jump on the wagon and enjoy these wins , instead of being LU Eeyores.
I was going to respond and feed the troll but I figured this would suffice.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
I know this is a celebration thread but watching the replay it reminded me of the head scratching decision by Gill to punt at the end of the first half instead of trying for the Hail Mary.. 7 seconds left before half just past midfield on 4th down. Btw the “punt” went 9 yards.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
in all seriousness though and in light that this is a celebration thread I was shocked and happy we won the game. the jury is still out on how good troy will be with that QB. I think it might be a big difference. However I will give credit where credit is due. The defense stepped up big time. Wimbo in the box obviously worked. Having AGG out showed but we still found a way to win. which is something that I hope becomes a trend for this team. As always Chris and the equipment staff had the team looking fantastic. I have not seen a uni combo I haven't liked in the past few years. (of course I'm biased.) Hope they can continue the momentum into some very big games coming up. Just because some people don't agree with how things are handled doesn't mean that they hate liberty or want to see them fail. but I digress. see some of you knuckle heads in December!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Back on Topic : Celebrating the Troy Win, (take the attendance discussion, and Fire Gill junk somewhere else ) Here are my Pros from the day.

Stadium was complete and looked great. The views of the Mtns on the East side are some of the best Stadium views in the country. (Hope the new FOC doesn't mitigate)

Remington Green is a solid tackling machine. Once he gets his hands on you, its over. He did a great job.

Austin Lewis had the play of the game in my opinion. Down 2 with 6 minutes left, and he bull rushed the tackle and made a brilliant sack. He will be great for LU. Really stopped them and kept them out of field goal range. Great Play Mr Lewis !

Game being on ESPN (can watch the replay several times and get the enjoyment back that the haters try to suck out)

Defense in general was good. Got lots of pressure up front. #11 and #54 are our best players on the roster.

17K fans that were engaged and knew the game. We have come a long way in a few years in with fan base in game awareness. (If you haven't been to a game in a while, no need to comment)

BJ Farrow is so awkward but super effective. Hes been around seems like forever. Glad to see him get that game winner, especially after his family member tweeted we were losers for not targeting him enough recently.

White helmets - They are so much better with this eagle logo on them.

Sparky - Really good mascot . Props to whoever is in the suite this year.
Any idea who it was?
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Love it when a coach is secure enough to say "We didn't play well and that is on me".

A lot of good analysis here.
By tyndal23
Impressed with the production quality of LFSN crew - each home game getting better and more polished. Just watch someone else on ESPN 3 and we are light years ahead of most other TV. Would be cool to get the overhead cam system in the stadium.
By willflop
tyndal23 wrote:Impressed with the production quality of LFSN crew - each home game getting better and more polished. Just watch someone else on ESPN 3 and we are light years ahead of most other TV. Would be cool to get the overhead cam system in the stadium.
I second this. I watched a Troy home game the other week, and it was acceptable, but our production feels significantly better.

The overhead cam would be cool, but we are not even producing the yellow first down line yet. And if I'm not mistaken, the down and yards to go wasn't showing on the little TV score box. Regarding the first down line, from a 2014 article it was stated that it costs 20,000 a game to produce it. I doubt that our viewership is large enough to justify it.
By willflop
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Love it when a coach is secure enough to say "We didn't play well and that is on me".

A lot of good analysis here.
He wasn't shy to say that Troy beat Troy, and basically Liberty isn't that good
By R i
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:Impressed with the production quality of LFSN crew - each home game getting better and more polished. Just watch someone else on ESPN 3 and we are light years ahead of most other TV. Would be cool to get the overhead cam system in the stadium.
I second this. I watched a Troy home game the other week, and it was acceptable, but our production feels significantly better.

The overhead cam would be cool, but we are not even producing the yellow first down line yet. And if I'm not mistaken, the down and yards to go wasn't showing on the little TV score box. Regarding the first down line, from a 2014 article it was stated that it costs 20,000 a game to produce it. I doubt that our viewership is large enough to justify it.

The crazy and ironic thing about this is, the guy who invented/produced the first yellow line is a Liberty grad and lives in Lynchburg. Last I heard he still had the NFL contract and was doing all kinds of on screen graphics for pro sports.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:
R i wrote:

I was going to respond and feed the troll but I figured this would suffice.

Some weeks deserve a break from the constant “know or all negativity “
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote:
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Love it when a coach is secure enough to say "We didn't play well and that is on me".

A lot of good analysis here.[/quo56kte]

He wasn't shy to say that Troy beat Troy, and basically Liberty isn't that good
Yes and no, he did come off that way but what I saw was a coach that expected his entire organization to play to their potential every week. If a team is clearly more talented, BSU, then ok. If they are equal or less talented then we should win. Out work them, out scheme them. No disrespect intended. That is just the expectation. He did give us some credit but what I found refreshing was he came in with no excuses. "Players effort was good, we just didn't play well and that is on me". He said I failed, coaches failed to prepare then went into a pretty detailed rundown of their struggles demonstrating a good grasp of both his team and what his coaches were trying to accomplish.

Contrast that with Coach Gill's postgame opening statement. Every loss he blames the players. This week he credited the coaches and didn't really mention the players. No blame or responsibility in losses. All the credit in wins. To me the inability to hold ourselves accountable as a staff demonstrates a flaw in his otherwise tremendous character and it holds us back as a team.

I say all that while acknowledging coaching adjustments were made this week that helped so I do see progress. I just would like to see us keep growing and maturing as a staff and as men. Acknowledging failure is not weakness. Recognizing mistakes and struggles also means embracing an opportunity to get better. Confession is good for the soul.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:
willflop wrote:

A lot of good analysis here.[/quo56kte]

He wasn't shy to say that Troy beat Troy, and basically isn't that good
Yes and no, he did come off that way but what I saw was a coach that expected his entire organization to play to their potential every week. If a team is clearly more talented, BSU, then ok. If they are equal or less talented then we should win. Out work them, out scheme them. No disrespect intended. That is just the expectation. He did give us some credit but what I found refreshing was he came in with no excuses. "Players effort was good, we just didn't play well and that is on me". He said I failed, coaches failed to prepare then went into a pretty detailed rundown of their struggles demonstrating a good grasp of both his team and what his coaches were trying to accomplish.

Contrast that with Coach Gill's postgame opening statement. Every loss he blames the players. This week he credited the coaches and didn't really mention the players. No blame or responsibility in losses. All the credit in wins. To me the inability to hold ourselves accountable as a staff demonstrates a flaw in his otherwise tremendous character and it holds us back as a team.

I say all that while acknowledging coaching adjustments were made this week that helped so I do see progress. I just would like to see us keep growing and maturing as a staff and as men. Acknowledging failure is not weakness. Recognizing mistakes and struggles also means embracing an opportunity to get better. Confession is good for the soul.
While driving home I listen to every post game show on the radio. Have since Gills been here. That line is slightly inaccurate :dontgetit
By CCWMichael
Class of 20Something wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:The way i see it, obviously the first thing to do is win. Fans show up for a winning program. You might not always pack the stadium, but people will show up. Second, we need more commercial presence on radio and TV. When i was living in Lynchburg you really only heard ads on WRVL, WQLU and sometimes on ESPNinVA. We need to be in regular ad rotation on at least 85% of the stations in the area in the LRD area (Lynchburg/Roanoke/Danville). We have the $$$ to get that kind of ad expenditure i would think. Third, get out into the community. Have players visit the schools and volunteer and have assemblies where players and cheerleaders are taking pics with the students and tossing red shirts to the kids and Sparky is entertaining. There are probably other ways but those are what came to my mind
Class, It was a pleasure meeting you and your daughter. She is a lovely lady and a great Liberty fan as I can witness to.
The family atmosphere is why we come down. Beats helicopters at Penn State.
The cheer squad, students, and fans have all welcomed our daughter with great warmth as well. We have had some students come by regular to our tailgate sight just to visit her. A testament to our culture.
OBTW, this week with the predicted rain we will not be tailgating so we may run across you at the pregame meal.
Oh, and how can I forget how Sparky is as well.
This is the stuff that makes the ticket price worth it's weight in gold.

My daughter was doing laps at my table at lunch(not a fight worth having lately) Saturday and one of the cheerleaders got on her level and let my daughter play with the pompoms for a moment. I haven't seen that look of awe on my daughters face since the first time she saw a horse in person. Really just a heartwarming moment where a cheerleader stopped to make my daughters day.

The family friendly environment is underappreciated.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]