Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Troy University
Troy, Alabama

Troy Football Official Site

TroyFans Message Board

Neal Brown
4th Season as Troy Head Coach

2018 Schedule/Results
  • SEP 01 - #22 BOISE STATE .................... L 20-56
    SEP 08 - FLORIDA A&M ......................... W 59-7
    SEP 15 - @ NEBRASKA .......................... W 24-19
    SEP 22 - @ ULM* .................................. W 35-27
    SEP 29 - COASTAL CAROLINA* ............... W 45-21
    OCT 04 - GEORGIA STATE* .................... W 37-20
    OCT 13 - @ LIBERTY
    OCT 20 - BYE
    OCT 23 - @ SOUTH ALABAMA*
    NOV 03 - LOUISIANA*
    NOV 10 - @ GEORGIA SOUTHERN*
    NOV 17 - TEXAS STATE*
    NOV 24 - @ APPALACHIAN STATE*

Key Players

#7 Kaleb Barker
    6' 1" 206 lbs Junior Quarterback
    Thru 6 Games: 92-of-126 (73%) for 1013 Yds with 10 TDs & 2 INTs + 57 Carries for 261 Yds & 3 Rushing TDs

#26 B.J. Smith
    5' 9" 203 lbs Junior Running Back
    Thru 6 Games: 73 Carries for 473 Yds and 8 TDs + 5 Catches for 65 Yds

#15 Damion Willis
    6' 4" 199 lbs Senior Receiver
    Thru 6 Games: 22 Catches for 317 Yds and 5 TDs

#47 Hunter Reese
    6' 1" 224 lbs Senior Bandit
    Thru 6 Games: 26 Tackles including 7.5 for Loss + 3.5 Sacks + 1 Forced Fumble + 2 Recoveries + 1 Safety

#25 Justin Whisenhunt
    6' 1" 222 lbs Sophomore Linebacker
    Thru 6 Games: 30 Tackles including 5 for Loss + 1 sack + 7 QB Hurries

#2 Tron Folsom
    6' 2" 209 lbs Junior Linebacker
    Thru 6 Games: 39 Tackles including 4 for Loss + .5 Sack + 2 INTs
By CCWMichael
With a few extra days rest for Troy I believe we are in for some big trouble to a stoudt team.
I hope I am wrong but .....

Troy 72
LU 24
By LUDad
How do you stop Troy? Lock their two QB's in the locker room until the game is completed.

Troy had two quarterbacks battling for starting job at start of the year. Barker won the job due to his passing skills. Smith pinch hits throughout the game primary due to his running ability.

Barker completes 73% of his passes. Smith "only" completes 65% of his passes.

If the passing efficiency is not enough, the QB's account for over 35% of the teams rushing yardage if you deduct for sacks.

Suffice to say, it might help to have a spy on either QB throughout the game.
By LUDad
Class of 20Something wrote:Do we spy with an LB or Spur? I have to think the spur is better suited for this job.,
Whoever it is, they should be committed to laying in the QB everytime he has the ball. Leave the trail man to the rest of the team. They can make you look silly with the fake pitch.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:Troy a good team. This could get ugly regardless of the QB situation.
Their ¨backup¨ QB, Sawyer Smith, is really good. Picking Barker as the starter wasn´t quite a coin flip, but it wasn´t far from it.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
It happened again:

We made it to "the BOTTOM 10 column" haha. Not as member of the bottom 10 but as a waiting list team. The last time we were on either the list of 'the bottom 10' or the waiting list prior to a game the result was a win. Hmmm, could we surprise ole Troy this weekend???
By Jonathan Carone
From media availability h/t ASOR:
Coach Gill says he won’t do live tackling in practice. He thinks the team can improve their tackling without having to use live tackling.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
This is something I have NEVER agreed with in regards to his practice planning. It has looked like our tackling has gotten worse with each passing week. A little practice never hurt anyone.

What is the ole saying, "tick poor practice = tick poor performance." In regards to our tackling it has been "non-existent practice = non-existent performance."
By Class of 20Something
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:This is something I have NEVER agreed with in regards to his practice planning. It has looked like our tackling has gotten worse with each passing week. A little practice never hurt anyone.

What is the ole saying, "tick poor practice = tick poor performance." In regards to our tackling it has been "non-existent practice = non-existent performance."
Practice makes permanent.

We cannot create a team of habitual form tacklers without practicing doing so.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Turner said he is satisfied with where we are. That is the last thing our players need to hear right now. "Oh little Johnny it's ok here is a participation trophy". :guntohead
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote:Press conference takeaways

http://www.aseaofred.com/press-conferen ... ways-troy/
Gill has lost his marbles. He said, “there’s nothing we can do about the score, we leave that up to our Lord”. I believe God is very active in our world. But I don’t think he’s up there going, “I’m gonna make Liberty’s defense give up 600 yards each week, oh and let’s make Bama a dynasty.” :roll: the score is literally the one thing you can control.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I read an article in one of the newspapers today on Oklahoma firing their DC. When writer was describing the Sooners defense, I thought he was writing about Liberty's defense. Very similar.

We have played 5 games and we should be 4-1, losing only to North Texas.
By Jonathan Carone
We can’t control what the outcome of the score is going to be, we leave that up to our Lord and Savior.
He has said this multiple times over the course of this year. For $1 million/year, I'd prefer to have a coach who thinks he can actually impact the outcome of a game.
By Jonathan Carone
“I thought our tackling took a step back,” Wimbo said. “Two weeks ago, we were a lot more physical thudding in practice. Coach allowed us to do that, and then last week, with the travel, we thought it was best to not thud as much. But when you look at the type of young men we have, as we’re growing and trying to develop them, we have to take it upon ourselves to address that a lot more.”
So we had a solid game tackling when we hit harder in practice.

We had a bad game tackling when we didn't hit hard in practice.

1 + 1 usually equals two, right?

Not with Turner Gill!
“I won’t do live tackling,” Gill said. “I think we can still get done what we need to get done with the thud. I don’t think you need to do the live scrimmage tackling to get accomplished what you need to get accomplished. You’re going to miss tackles – that happens all across the world, all across the country in college football. You want to limit those things, I think we can still accomplish the things we need to with the thud.”
By CCWMichael
LUDad wrote:I may be bias since I played rugby for a number of years, but I cringe when I see a player spear a runner and simply bounce off. I think you should stick someone between the tackles but wrap them up in open field.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -football/
I was taught to tackle like this "proppin". So old am I starting with pee wee footbal I was taught head up ---eyes up-- hit hips ---wrap up. If the tackle is missed slide down and wrap up the lower body. Your teamates will assist because they are rabid ball hawks.
I can't tell you how many games of ours I want to jump on the field after I watch 4 guys trying to bring a guy down and not a soul thinks of the propellers. Seriously? Hit the engine boys! No engine no go.
How many guys hit high and do not have the secondary option of the legs. The "new" hit high technique in my mind gives up yardage.
Just like basketball or any other movement sports --- watch the hips and you can follow the player better --- the hips will clue you to intent ---- like reading current on moving water. It can be learned. Result, increased tackles by proper evaluation then BETTER tacklng technique that increases the odds that players momentem will be stopped or slowed for further assistance.
By willflop
Also noticed Gill referring to them as an FCS team making the transition. That's the first I remember them self describing themselves as FCS this year. I think Wimbo mentioned it in passing g as well. Granted, it is true, but I was surprised how it was used to explain getting beat.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

He’s the exception to the rule. Opposing […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]