Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

If you were AD, what would you do?

Give the staff an extension
5%
Keep the head coach but force assistant/coordinator changes
17%
Terminate the entire staff
78%
By Class of 20Something
Can we add an option for lobbing off the top 3? I think there are a lot of position guys that are right for us. Maybe a change with DL and Lbs,add a dedicated QB guy.

No reason to go scorched earth past what is necessary.
By Jonathan Carone
I think I'd definitely be fine if a new coach kept some guys on board (similar to Rocco after Karcher's staff) but that has to be up to the new coach.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Its funny how the results are so unanimous but if this same poll was posted last week it would have been much more split.

Obviously I've been on board to get rid of the current staff for a while. It is odd that we are 2-3 in our first FBS season and it seems more seem ok with it
By Jonathan Carone
thepostman wrote:Its funny how the results are so unanimous but if this same poll was posted last week it would have been much more split.
That’s what gave me the idea for the poll. I plan to do it every week.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I voted for the second but with the idea that if no changes were made, the coach would be terminated
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I say keep Gill and the offensive staff until Gill's contract runs out which is 2019. Wimbo and the entire defensive side of the ball needs to be replaced. The only one I could see keeping is Vantz Singletary due to the play of the defensive line, but then again I would not be upset if they let the whole defensive staff go.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
The coaching has been questionable but the real unforgivable for me is the refusal to take any personal responsibility for the failures. It is always the players' fault for not executing. You are coaches. You are supposed to be coaching them up. If the players never grasp the concepts or get better that is YOUR FAULT. You are paid to teach and develop. Own it once in a while and pledge to do better. Quit being so arrogant.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:I say keep Gill and the offensive staff until Gill's contract runs out which is 2019. Wimbo and the entire defensive side of the ball needs to be replaced. The only one I could see keeping is Vantz Singletary due to the play of the defensive line, but then again I would not be upset if they let the whole defensive staff go.
What I find so frustrating is that TG had the perfect opportunity to upgrade with a top notch DC and keep Wimbo as a position coach with the NCAA´s decision to allow an additional assistant. He instead decided to make the super impactful move of promoting a QC guy to coach the spurs. :roll:
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:I say keep Gill and the offensive staff until Gill's contract runs out which is 2019. Wimbo and the entire defensive side of the ball needs to be replaced. The only one I could see keeping is Vantz Singletary due to the play of the defensive line, but then again I would not be upset if they let the whole defensive staff go.
You do realize Gill is just as responsible for the defense as Wimberly? How can anyone reasonably expect TG to do a 180 after 6 years of mediocrity? This is a business decision, not a feel good/feel bad deal. What if this was for money and you were part of the ownership team? It is like betting on a mule to win the Kentucky Derby. The mule probably has a better disposition than a highly-strung thoroughbred, but he is going to come in last every race. Someone said, "nice guys finish last" and they almost always do. Hee haw.

Gill for life.
By cruzan_flame13
ALAFlamesFan wrote:The coaching has been questionable but the real unforgivable for me is the refusal to take any personal responsibility for the failures. It is always the players' fault for not executing. You are coaches. You are supposed to be coaching them up. If the players never grasp the concepts or get better that is YOUR FAULT. You are paid to teach and develop. Own it once in a while and pledge to do better. Quit being so arrogant.
Have you not seen the warnings from the KU fans about a decade ago? Some folks here can give Gill excuses, but he hasn’t change and will never change. I wouldn’t even keep him and the staff for next year and buy them out. Better start fresh than keep the stench which can affect the next crew since we will be officially bowl eligible. If one contain a small tumor, would it be logical to keep it there until it’s recognizable or wouldn’t a person want it to be removed? Just saying.
By Jonathan Carone
oldflame wrote:
What I find so frustrating is that TG had the perfect opportunity to upgrade with a top notch DC and keep Wimbo as a position coach with the NCAA´s decision to allow an additional assistant. He instead decided to make the super impactful move of promoting a QC guy to coach the spurs. :roll:
First off - I agree with you completely.

With hindsight, I wish we would’ve known Ron Brown was leaving when that decision was made. We could’ve moved Wimbo to the Associate Head Coach role (which I think he is great for) while bringing in a new DC as well. That would’ve been the absolute best case scenario.
By bdussault
Registration Days
I'm fine with Gill staying as long as Wimbo goes. However, McCaw should not undermine his coach by forcing him to do anything with his staff for on field reasons. Gill should fire Wimbo but if he doesn't on his own then the whole staff has to go.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
First off - I agree with you completely.

With hindsight, I wish we would’ve known Ron Brown was leaving when that decision was made. We could’ve moved Wimbo to the Associate Head Coach role (which I think he is great for) while bringing in a new DC as well. That would’ve been the absolute best case scenario.
According to Wimbos bio on website he has been associate head coach since 2012.
By sigmo7
Registration Days Posts
I see nothing good coming out of firing just the entire defensive coaching staff. You would then have a basically lame duck head coach with one year remaining on his contract with a presumed warm seat. What type of coaching staff could you hire under those conditions. I hate this for Wimbo because I really like him, a very friendly and likable guy. Some coaches are only personable when it's a photo op. It's only my opinion but I think when we lost Torbush it was a bigger loss then we realized at the time. I had hopes at the time that he would have became the head coach. Many have said that they would like to see TG get put in another role in the football program if he is removed from the head coaching gig I for one think that would be a bad idea.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
sigmo7 wrote:I see nothing good coming out of firing just the entire defensive coaching staff. You would then have a basically lame duck head coach with one year remaining on his contract with a presumed warm seat. What type of coaching staff could you hire under those conditions. I hate this for Wimbo because I really like him, a very friendly and likable guy. Some coaches are only personable when it's a photo op. It's only my opinion but I think when we lost Torbush it was a bigger loss then we realized at the time. I had hopes at the time that he would have became the head coach. Many have said that they would like to see TG get put in another role in the football program if he is removed from the head coaching gig I for one think that would be a bad idea.
Mike Stoops is now available. Just sayin.
By Volunteer_Flame
Posts Posts
I wish we had a 4th option of keeping some specific coaches. I like the idea of keeping some position coaches on staff and replacing everyone else, but I would like to hire a good head coach that would want to put his own staff together...hopefully better position coaches than we already have.
By cruzan_flame13
There’s no way Gill should return with his comments at the press conference...No way! Also, I thought Gill had a 4 year contract renewed in 2015. If you add that season, this season should be his last.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
As I said before, i voted for the second option, but with the idea that if no significant changes were made (and i don't mean moving people around or ceremonial new titles), the coach should be fired immediately. We don't need to rearrange chairs on the Titanic, to use a phrase (did i use it correctly CJ?)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
DeArmon could do very well as a WR coach at a G5 to lower level P5 school...quite a journey from scout team QB to that
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Mike was essentially a RB with an arm when he played for us. He was a great fit for the RBs that is for sure

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]